Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchoring in Hanalei Bay

Default Anchoring in Hanalei Bay

I thought there was a previous discussion on this but could not find the thread (something about a dinghy stolen).

I have been in Hanalei Bay many times (even married there) and have paddled around anchored boats over the years and all seemed safe and secure in a sandy bottom. However, we are always there in Nov-Dec, very calm and maybe no more than seven boats.

I thought it might be a good topic for races, especially if the fleet grows and we monopolize the Bay. My basic questions are Bay conditions in July, security and getting to Lightspeed and back.

I am not planning on staying on Lightspeed but would like to anchor near someone who may be staying on theirs. I know no guarantees but better than nothing. Also, Lightspeed would be happy to share a dinghy rental with anyone (or everyone) as I am not sure if there will be a committee boat available for day to day activity….Thanks in advance…..Rick/Lightspeed

I can't answer most of your questions but, altho I will have a dinghy we are not allowed to chain dinghies on the beach at night. An alternative I'm thinking about is renting a stand up paddle board. If you anchor reasonably close to the beach this should work fine and you can throw it on your rental car and keep it safe where ever you are staying. I rented a surf board in Hanalei some years ago and it was ridiculously cheap. For loading water and groceries obviously anyone is welcome to borrow my row boat.

Hanalei Bay is an excellent anchorage. Good holding sand, generally one wind direction and a pretty even depth contour. Swells only come in in the winter from the north to northwest. I do not know of any dinghy theft problems on the beach in Hanalei. There was an issue with an outboard engine being stolen from a rental house in 2012, but I have not heard of beach thefts. I have left a kayak and dinghy on that beach for over 24 hours at least 4 times with no problem. If you want to show up and buy a surf board or paddle board, check with Mitchell Boy's place at the river mouth. They will sell you rental boards for cheap or long-term rent.

In 2012 all thefts happened on shore. A kayak disappeared and a motor was taken, and later recovered, from the backyard of a rental home near the beach. Kayaks, in 2012, could be rented for the day. The vendors were not willing to rent over night unless you were staying on shore and keeping the kayak in your possession. I got around this by buying a beat up kayak from a rental company and then getting my money back, minus a reduced daily rental fee, at the end of 10 days. Keeping your eye on motors and kayaks seemed very prudent. I was able to find a beach location near the life guard tower that was a bit hidden for stowing the Kayak while ashore. I know of no incident involving materials taken from an anchored boat.

I have spoken to "Paddles and Peddles" in town and they will rent to boaters staying on boats but you will have to leave a credit card image covering the replacement value until you return the rental.

We are planning on a dingy to greet racers and assist with guidance into the Bay, but be prepared to make your own approach. The dingy will not be available as a transport for general ferrying. Water was transported to Red Sky via dragging jugs behind a swimming skipper, or the skipper on a kayak. For the big resupply Red Sky talked one of the commercial snorkel boats into dropping bags of stuff on the boat on their way out on a tour. That was a bit of luck. We had Eric and Emmy, cruisers who were in the Bay, assist with transporting fuel for a reasonable transport fee. They were a great help.

The committee is looking for assistance but there are not a lot choices. The paddle board sounds like a good possibility.

I brought my little West Marine 8ft inflatable to Hanalei (sailed with it in 2010 and shipped it in 2012) and just left it on the beach by the tree the whole time I was there, unlocked and upside down with the oars underneath, with no issues. But that's kind of a gamble, as I recall Steve's kayak getting stolen from the beach and Jerome's outboard stolen out of our house.

If you guys see any meth heads wearing Idefix swag on Kaua'i, I'd be happy to have it back...

There would be no issues or concerns anchoring in Hanalei Bay with a proper anchor and rode. A minimum package for a 39' boat would be a 35# anchor, 25' of 5/16" chain, and 250' of 1/2" nylon.
    The dinghy issue is easily solved by carrying your own. An Avon Redcrest with oars is just one example. It is easily capable of handling any transportation or re-supplying needs. I believe it is more in the spirit of the endeavor to be fully prepared throughout the experience. It is more in keeping with the "self Sufficiency" of the Single handers ethos.
    Though slightly off topic, I am going to make a motion that Rick/Lightspeed, be selected to carry the trophies over this year as Lightspeed is definitely one of the larger boats. Last race it was Daniel, on Galaxsea, and the race before it was the Westsail. Will someone second that motion?

I'll second that!

Quote Originally Posted by oregonian View Post
    There would be no issues or concerns anchoring in Hanalei Bay with a proper anchor and rode. A minimum package for a 39' boat would be a 35# anchor, 25' of 5/16" chain, and 250' of 1/2" nylon.
    The dinghy issue is easily solved by carrying your own. An Avon Redcrest with oars is just one example. It is easily capable of handling any transportation or re-supplying needs. I believe it is more in the spirit of the endeavor to be fully prepared throughout the experience. It is more in keeping with the "self Sufficiency" of the Single handers ethos.
    Though slightly off topic, I am going to make a motion that Rick/Lightspeed, be selected to carry the trophies over this year as Lightspeed is definitely one of the larger boats. Last race it was Daniel, on Galaxsea, and the race before it was the Westsail. Will someone second that motion?

Thanks Guys, I am looking forward to getting to know the SSS Class of 2014, and appreciate any vets comments. I have always enjoyed making friends with the competition and also enjoyed a little bantering along the way.....I like the small WM inflatable idea. Light and reusable. My main issue was heavy items like water and fuel. Lightspeed has lots of fuel jugs from the 2012 Pac Cup return. I found buying fuel in town much cleaner than the marine fuel dock in PC 2010 return......Happy to take the trophy’s if the goal is to weigh Lightspeed down. She did beat Galaxsea across the finish in the SSS 2013 LongPac but Dan/Galaxsea beat Lightspeed on corrected time. …..Rick/Lightspeed

Thanks for being a good sport Rick. I would offer to carry them, but my boat will be weighed down with ice cream, steak, frozen chicken etcetera. Also, the waterbed takes up a lot of space.

Default equipment gone missing in Hanalei

Quote Originally Posted by cafemontaigne View Post
    I brought my little West Marine 8ft inflatable to Hanalei (sailed with it in 2010 and shipped it in 2012) and just left it on the beach by the tree the whole time I was there, unlocked and upside down with the oars underneath, with no issues. But that's kind of a gamble, as I recall Steve's kayak getting stolen from the beach and Jerome's outboard stolen out of our house.

If you guys see any meth heads wearing Idefix swag on Kaua'i, I'd be happy to have it back...
    Steve, of Frolic fame, lost his dingy off the beach. We went for a sail yesterday and he related that story to me.