Thread: Introduction, appreciation for SHTP seminar and some questions

Default Introduction, appreciation for SHTP seminar and some questions

Hi everyone,

It was great meeting SSS members last night at the first SHTP seminar. I am fairly new to sailing, new to my boat, and planning to do my first single-handed race to Vallejo, so not at all ready for a sail to Hawaii. But after watching from the sidelines last year in Hanalei Bay (as a guest of Dave and Lori Morris) and then hearing more of the testimonials last night, I'm surprisingly jazzed about at least getting prepped to consider doing this in 2016.

I have some questions...and apologize if this is not the right forum for asking them. I'll post future ones in the Shorthanded Sailing section.

Can a wind vane be used as an emergency rudder? I am thinking of the Hydrovane on a sugar scoop transom, which can be steered independently and has a pretty beefy rudder. Thoughts?

Does the inside manual bilge have to be connected to a dedicated seacock? I'm wondering if it can be T'd with a one way valve into the output for the manual pump that's in the cockpit.

Thanks!

Carliane
    s/v Kynntana (Freedom 38)

> I'm surprisingly jazzed about at least getting prepped to consider doing this in 2016.

Yes, that's what happens at these seminars!

> Can a wind vane be used as an emergency rudder? I am thinking of the Hydrovane on a sugar scoop transom, which can be steered independently and has a pretty beefy rudder. Thoughts?

Yes, that's the most common solution, although the M-Rud for the Monitor is what we see more. Have a look:
    http://sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpa...r_designs.html

I think Nereida's is a Hydrovane. Also, while I'm thinking about it, boats with dual rudders have historically not needed an additional e-steering setup.

> Does the inside manual bilge have to be connected to a dedicated seacock? I'm wondering if it can be T'd with a one way valve into the output for the manual pump that's in the cockpit.

Mine is hooked up sort of like that. The cockpit pump was factory-installed and has a dedicated exit out the stern but my second manual pump (below) is T'd into the seacock for the electric bilge pump (with a check valve on both hoses). I'm not sure this is the best practice but it works on our boats since only one manual pump can be used at a time (single-handed). Also, best practice is to have bilge pump through-hulls above the waterline (when the boat is at rest).

Welcome!
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-10-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Carliane,

Great meeting you! Keep asking!

Lucie Mewes