Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vallejo 1-2 19th-20th

Thanks for saving my a## Bob. I was afraid I'd end up with splinters in the you-know-what, especially if I tried to sit down. I had thought about revising my idea and use my emergency rudder as a sign board instead. Since Jackie's so much interested in ERs I thought I'd demonstrate how to use one in a real emergency. ;-)

Pat, my friend Jocelyn will be getting a ride back to Vallejo with you and Bob. She's a nurse in the Tenderloin, so probably knows something about how to treat splinters. Hydrogen peroxide, I expect. Which will sting.

Smile Convergence of Fate, or just plain dumb luck?

Jackie, splinters in my bum, nurse from the "Tenderloin?" You're joking of course? Too much coincidence for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Pat, my friend Jocelyn will be getting a ride back to Vallejo with you and Bob. She's a nurse in the Tenderloin, so probably knows something about how to treat splinters. Hydrogen peroxide, I expect. Which will sting.

Last edited by BobJ; 10-13-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Preliminary results are up. Please take a gander at 'em and let me know if anything looks amiss:

https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T009354471

I have an inquiry about using the motor before the start. I believe the use of the motor before the start is not specifically addressed in the SI's or the Add'l Instructions or the RRS. I have seen some SI's (other races) include specific language limiting the use of the motor after five minutes before the start. It does seem like if a boat is 20 minutes late to the start, coming from Alameda to the Berkeley Circle, for example, the engine would be used to arrive at the starting line, at which point it would be turned off, and the boat could start immediately.

Today, however, I saw something that seems to be against the spirit of the rules if not the letter. A couple boats in the light wind, adverse current conditions used their motors during the 1 minute before the start to motor to the start line, switching the motor off just as they arrived at the start line.

Is that legal?

Thanks,
    Todd

The RRS, page 9, "Definitions" describe a boat as "Racing" from the time of its Preparatory signal. That would mean, and has meant in the past, that engines need to be out of gear, or turned off, at the four minute signal.

Quite right! If your Prep signal has been made, it's illegal to motor even if you overslept and you're miles away from the start line.

That is, unless the SIs say something different. RRS 42.3(i) does allow the SIs to call out special circumstances where motoring is permitted.

Sounds like there are some miscreants who could use a little conscience raising!

Yes-siree! Motoring at high speed until the Prep can really help a lead mine like me in Three Bridge. But it's the 4 minute signal, not the One.

Especially in light air with an adverse current, and a bridge down current, one must consider all options. That's why Dianne started Sunday's race with an outboard ready to go on the stern and an anchor ready to go on deck. Dianne stopped her motor before her warning signal, held position with white sails, set a spinnaker after starting, then set anchor. We repeated spinnaker sailing and anchoring many times before gaining the San Pablo Bay.