Thread: Hawkfarm in So Cal

Default Hawkfarm in So Cal

While it's killing me that I can't snap this boat up, Sylvia and Synthia suggested that I put the Craigslist ad up here.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...143619973.html

1979 Thomas Wylie designed HawkFarm racer. Inboard diesel (Renault single 8hp). Martek prop. New standing rigging. Mostly new running rigging. Fractional rig. New LP paint on mast. Economical slip at Leeward Bay Marina. $4,900 or best offer ph: 818-620-9058 or email reply.

I've talked to the guy on the phone for an hour-plus and he sounds on the up-and-up. The boat is rigged for masthead spinnakers and the boom is about a foot longer than One Design. He believes it's a stock rudder. No roller-furling. This is a "production" Hawkfarm, so it has the 'glassed-in furniture. The Diesel is small at 8 HP but it's been recently rebuilt. He says Renault parts are a bitch to get, but they're available at ridiculous prices, so you can do repairs. The boat apparently has a couple of laminated sails and a bucketload of old dacron ones. Folding Martec prop...Hmmm. I forget the rest.

i want to buy it, but negotiations at home are not conducive to a big boat purchase at this time so I hope someone else gets this thing and brings it up here and sails the socks off of it.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Alan, Having owned a H.F. for a pile of years I can say that you need this ! It is the ultimate sailing machine, takes a licking and keeps on ticking, strong as an ox. You can make points with the wife by enhancing the interior, lacing the boom with Tiki lights, and placing flamingo's on the stern rail. You add a swing stove and you will be able to sit on the head and cook a meal while the autopilot steers you to Hana lei.

is it a lazy boy?

On the way to Hawaii it is.

Default Flamingo available

Alan, I can bring a lovely pair of decorative Flamingos Wednesday....

Lucie

Don't I wish. I've spent many hours reviewing designs that will do what I want them to do without breaking my bank account and the Hawkfarm is one of the only 2-3 candidates. But it's not happening.

Instead, I am gunning for taking the skerry to the 2015 Texas 200. Tell you what, I'll do it solo! :lol: However, SHTP 2020 is going on the calendar. I am not joking about that, either. Odds are fair to middlin' that I will volunteer for the 2016 or 2018 SHTP race committee.
    Last edited by AlanH; 10-27-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Alan,
    If your heart is set on a 35+ year old half ton....
    I would consider selling half my Hawkfarm here on the Bay, if you don't mind keeping her in Brisbane, and are not adverse to a 50/50% partnership.
    She has a fairly new (2011) standing rig, (back stay and diamond wires are synthetic) & halyards, an older (1976) wood interior, Martec prop, and 7 lights (4 running,3 interior), converted to LED, etc. etc.
    We use her to cruise, but could compartmentalize & schlep some of the extraneous crap/weight.

Brad
    Name:  268795_243311172345943_7681797_n.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  46.5 KB
    7/1/2011, headed back to the water.
    Last edited by Intermission; 10-29-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Hello and greetings. Im the new owner of the aforementoned Hawkfarm.. Lunasea. As a previous owner of an Islander 32 MkII, this style of boat is new to me but as im wishing to spend more time a little closer to the water, it seems like the right choice. Ive a couple questions for those experienced with the Hawkfarm..1) Is the downwind performance a big enough issue to change to new rudder that Ive read is available. 2) Should I plan on a repower if I want to make the occasional run to Catalina. Is the current 8HP powerplant and folding prop enough to push the boat along? 3) interior mods or suggestions for more comfortable overnights..although I know its not an Islander 32.

Thanks all..Im sure Ill have more questions as I become more acquainted with Lunasea
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Lunasea View Post
    Hello and greetings. Im the new owner of the aforementoned Hawkfarm.. Lunasea. As a previous owner of an Islander 32 MkII, this style of boat is new to me but as im wishing to spend more time a little closer to the water, it seems like the right choice. Ive a couple questions for those experienced with the Hawkfarm..1) Is the downwind performance a big enough issue to change to new rudder that Ive read is available. 2) Should I plan on a repower if I want to make the occasional run to Catalina. Is the current 8HP powerplant and folding prop enough to push the boat along? 3) interior mods or suggestions for more comfortable overnights..although I know its not an Islander 32.

Thanks all..Im sure Ill have more questions as I become more acquainted with Lunasea
    Cheers
    Hi, I owned a Hawkfarm for about 10 years. Raced it primarily. I always found the engine sufficient for doing deliveries from Half Moon Bay to SF (~30 miles) and from Monterey (~80 miles). My boat had a 8 HP Volvo. The rudder in mine was stock. It loaded up pretty strongly with a kite up in a good blow and following seas. I would guess a modern rudder would have a much more lightly loaded feel and if it had a bit more depth would steer the boat with more authority as swells passed below her stern. All that said, for sailing in So. Cal. in milder conditions than what we see here I would say it isn't really a big priority. One thing we did that made a big difference in race performance was the addition of a mast head spinnaker. It really helped push the boat in lighter conditions. That change was well worth it.

Good luck with Lunasea, they are fun boats with a definite roll in a active seaway.
    Brian

Thanks Brian..re: the 8hp thats good to know. If it can handle those waters then should be sufficient down here...and she's currently set up for a masthead spinnaker so thats good news. I hope to find out more about the past history of the boat this weekend.
    Cheers,
    David