Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Website and Fourms Revamp -- interseason 2013/2014

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Default Website and Fourms Revamp -- interseason 2013/2014

Hi All,

I will be taking over from Matt as the SSS Web admin. Firstly, I would like to thank Matt for his five years of work keeping the old sites up and running, and making sure that our members are informed in a very timely way about race info and race results -- I think the SSS sets the standard for getting race results public in a prompt manner!

Over the many years the SSS has been on the web our sites -- the main .org site, the forum, and the various SSS sites have become very fragmented and difficult to maintain. For example, we have three different content hosts, and three different (not the same three) domain registrars. All administration for web sites, SSS board, and day-of-race RC emails is handled through a single email account. So, I think everyone is agreed that it is time for a re-org and some streamlining.

To that end, I am transitioning to the following

sfbaysss.org/ and sfbaysss.org/main -- the main page, and all archived material

sfbaysss.org/forum -- the forum

sfbaysss.org/shtp (also singlehandedtranspac.com and .org) -- the current-year SHTP site

Eventually, the .net address will go away.

All the old site material will be lovingly archived and 'curated', as the young folks say.

In the meantime, you may find that if you have bookmarks to specific pages, like sfbaysss.net/index.php, or if your browser auto-complete is filling in such specific URLs, they may not work. You should ALWAYS be able to get somewhere useful by typing in

so try that if you are getting the dreaded 404, and then update your bookmarks.

In about a week I expect to cut over to the new .org site, and there may be an interruption of a day or so, as it can take hours for the DNS data to propagate around the world. This is because we are not just changing what the content of the site is, but also the names of things, and on which computers belonging to different companies they are located.

In the end, it will be much easier for the RC and site admins to keep things updated, to archive old race results and info, and to make content changes without breaking a lot of old links.

Thanks for your patience!

David
    Last edited by pogen; 10-27-2013 at 01:08 PM.

waaa! waaa! I hate change! Thanks, Matt. You were wonderful and it was great working with you.

New account post test.

test test test

Site Registration Reopened

OK, I have re-enabled new user registration for the forum site. I know there were a bunch of people trying to register since the big hacking event. If you were one of them, please try again to register.

Hopefully this won't open the door again to hackers. There were a bunch of old registration attempts in the queue from dodgy gmail and mail.ru accounts.

SSS Member Blogs

Hi All

On the new site, we will have links to member blogs and websites.

If your boat/adventure/program has a blog, website, facebook page, picassa or flickr photo album, or whatever, please post the name and link here and I will add it.

Presently, I have on the list

• Jetstream Racing
    • NSL (Temerity)
    • Ronnie Simpson's blog
    • Tiger Beetle

Thanks!

David

What a great venue for members' blogs, and a real opportunity for those of us reading. ! Thank you, David.

Can you add norcalsailing.com? Latitude 38 is listed on the links page.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    SSS Member Blogs

Hi All

On the new site, we will have links to member blogs and websites.

If your boat/adventure/program has a blog, website, facebook page, picassa or flickr photo album, or whatever, please post the name and link here and I will add it.

Presently, I have on the list

• Jetstream Racing
    • NSL (Temerity)
    • Ronnie Simpson's blog
    • Tiger Beetle

Thanks!

David

Here, here! (re NorCalSailing)

Great and timely coverage of the SSS annual meeting and season awards, and our races all year. Thanks Jonathan and Christine!

Yes, Lat38 and Norcal sailing are already there as links to "Local Media"

The new site will also have a Blog of its own, I hope we can get permission to excerpt relevant material at with proper crediting and links through.

As you might have noticed, the new SSS Main Site was cut over today.

If you have bookmarked links like "sfbaysss.org/index.html" or to other specific documents on the old site, they likely will not work.

Instead, delete your old bookmarks, clear your browser cache, and bookmark the new site at

http://sfbaysss.org

From there on the menu bar there will always be a way to get to the Forum or SHTP sites. Hardcore types might want to try releaseall/renewall on IPCONFIG.

It can take up to 48 hours for DNS updates to propagate around the world, so there may be a few hiccups and you may find yourself on the old site for a while.

I will work on making all the URLs be to sfbaysss.org/*, so it will look prettier!
    Last edited by pogen; 11-14-2013 at 05:39 PM.