Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better connectors for Raymarine X-5 ram

Hi Brian. Well, yes I do have access. It is in the front of the cockpit behind the traveler. When the X-5 loses its mind (electrical connectivity, I'm convinced) and does something stupid like try to drive you in the wrong direction it's tough to steer and hit standby. When you disconnect the ram, as best I can recall, it keeps steering until a motor stalls at extreme limit. I don't have a rudder sensor.

I'm installing a remote, and that should ameliorate the problem. I still plan to install the connection below decks though, as these connectors are, to be charitable, poorly waterproof (I did learn that the IP67 test uses fresh water)! Also still interested in your AP if you want a test bed for the Long Pac. John

If you still plan to order some of those plugs, my drive unit connector is three wires and the solar panels are two (each).

I have the remote and don't use it much, but it sounds like you've had more trouble with the X-5 than I've had. I mostly use the remote when I'm hiking on the rail (upwind).

John, You might want to check with RM about how the remote works. Often a microprocessor bases system, when it goes nuts, is not going to pay attention to any inputs on something like the RM Seatalk port, as the processor is stuck in a loop. It might be worth speaking to a RM technician to see what they say (total speculation on my part).

I have a few more AP's being built up for testing. I will check the build schedule.

Brian

Bob, I'm going to research this more before committing to a specific plug. I'm liking my below deck connection idea better though. Certainly dryer than the cockpit in a Moore!