Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better connectors for Raymarine X-5 ram

Default Better connectors for Raymarine X-5 ram

Following the Long Pac, my X-5 connections (new at the start) were totally corroded. Apart from the lack of decent caps, the connections themselves are lousy at keeping water out despite silicone grease. I'm thinking about purchasing some Bulgin waterproof 2-pole connectors (http://www.testco-inc.com/bulgin/PX0412-02S) but their minimum purchase is $50. Anyone interested in trying a set of these for their AP? There are other suppliers e.g. Digikey, but their prices are so high I can get spares out of $50.

"Tested to a depth of 10 meters for two weeks" . . . sounds like the SHTP on a Moore 24!

I haven't had much trouble with the RM plugs but my boat is bigger and dryer, and I keep a cover on the cockpit. I suspect constant sun exposure may cause the plug and its cover to dry out and crack.

That said, I'll take three of them to help you out. Maybe I can adapt them to plug in my solar panels. I'd want the exterior part to be the right-angle type and I'd want the sealing caps to go with them. Thanks!
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-27-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks Bob. Actually both were new prior to Long Pac. I replaced Rubens socket as it was shot. I'll order Friday. john

I'll go in for three also. Thanks.
    Max

Would these work for the ram on my RayMarine 2000? Do they have a right angle connector? If yes to both questions sign me up for two complete with caps. That's a very low price at $3.50 each. SDK

Default Crimp tool ? Fox X5 current might be low on the 4 pin version.

They look like they would, but max current = 8A on the 2 and 3 pin flavor and drops to 5A on the 4 pin version, which is below the max current one would see with a X5 tiller wand or the X GP tiller wand, but those high currents are not continuous, so likely it might be OK. On reflection, this would be fine, the X5 doesn't use but two pins to the tiller wand.

Question: the data sheet says "crimp and solder", does this imply a crimping tool is going to be needed to use these properly ?

Quote Originally Posted by skatzman View Post
    Would these work for the ram on my RayMarine 2000? Do they have a right angle connector? If yes to both questions sign me up for two complete with caps. That's a very low price at $3.50 each. SDK

Are you getting one cable mount and one bulkhead mount, each 2 pole, with solder pins (plug and socket) ? and what is the cable size ?

Brian

[QUOTE=brianb;7885]Are you getting one cable mount and one bulkhead mount, each 2 pole, with solder pins (plug and socket) ? and what is the cable size ?
    If this question is back at me(Steve Katzman): one bulkhead mount; one cable mount, right angle, for 5/16 cable;
    call my cel 530 416 7715 for further clarification.

UPDATE: I spoke with Eric at Farallone Electronics and he suggested Deutsch connectors which he stocks.

I've been thinking more about this cockpit tiller pilot connection issue. With the X-5, there is no clutch so disengaging the AP means physically removing it from the tiller, and placing it in standby. With a remote, this can be done from one location. Then securing the AP ram using some solution. Disconnecting the electrical connection may not be necessary based upon your proximity to the control head (if you don't have a remote). So, I'm thinking why not place a waterproof SPST switch in line with the ram input, and install the disconnect between computer and ram below decks using a cable clam or some such solution. This would allow quick electrical disconnection (leading to a Motor Stall warning) so the ram isn't still active, and still allow removal of the ram from the cockpit when not using the vessel.

Any thoughts on this approach (besides the ugly hole in the cockpit or deck)?

Hi, Do you not have access on deck to the AP Control head ? I guess not because if you did there no need for a switch on deck, just hit STANDBYE. You might also try a simple experiment. If you have the rudder sensor engaged and you disconnect the RAM from the tiller, I believe the X5 will fault off as it will notice that it is trying to turn the rudder but nothing is happening. When it faults the RAM will shut down and the unit will go to stand bye. You might just try it out.