Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Sss history

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    Jackie, I think you mean "through 1996." There are several reasons for the lack of information. First, it was a non-computer/Internet/email world, pretty much. Kinkos was a hotbed of copying the day after a race so the results could be mailed out. Second, different computer systems had a difficult time talking to one another, so often information was lost because it couldn't be "translated." No one thought to save file folders stuffed with lots of paper. The first SSS laptop was a momentous purchase. The first printer was a portable job that you had to feed paper into one sheet at a time and it took a minute to print. Once the Internet began to work, issues over who had passwords, access, etc. arose. Let's get together and have a chat. -- Pat
    I'd still like to hear from people who were members during that time. Those medieval times.

One source is Latitude 38...
    I recall a decade back going to the Latitude 38 office in Mill Valley, browsing their library that has every Lat 38 back to the beginning, and making copies of their articles on the Pacific Cup going back to the first race in 1980 (pulled all the July and August editions on even number years). I suspect you can do the same for every SHTP, every 3BF write-up, and so on. Doesn't give you the skinny on the SSS org - but will get you lots of SSS race history. You are likely to uncover some old great photos of the "founders" of SSS - back when they were young and full of piss and vinegar. :-)

Here's the plan and the gimmick: build a book about the SSS around sailors' stories. Focus on SSS members, singlehanders, people who are willing to talk about having done the race, people who were the early members of the Club, who did the first Farallones (that's you, Paul, and anyone else who's out there), people who did the first Transpac (that's you, Mike P and Skip and you all know who you are). Then publish via print by demand and sell the books: profits to be shared every 2 years by finishers of subsequent Transpacs. Friends and wannabes will be encouraged, harassed, shamed into buying the book during the 23 months in between races, which will, in turn, offset (at least a bit) the cost of the race for participants. C'mon, ya gotta love the idea. So, email me to schedule your interviews, kids. I'll come to you. Jacqueline.philpott@gmail.com. Who knows? Maybe the SSS will still be around 50 years from now. It would be a shame to lose the oral histories.
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-28-2014 at 07:34 PM.