Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sss history

Default Sss history

Does anybody have old "stuff" from the days before 1996? I know, I know: ask Skip. Well, of course I will do that. Aside from rich oral histories, how about written materials? Does anybody have that? It would probably be saved on those old square hard discs since flash drives were a gleam in the eye of techies. Collectors' items, all. Please let me know. We should start to save and organize all that for our children's children (I know, I know. I can't get my son on a boat, either). Please let me know and give it up.

In the early days of the SH TransPac, SSS did printed programs for the race with photos and bios of the skippers, etc. There were several of those programs in the package of SHTP stuff I passed along to Rob/LD and which is now with either George or Lucie. Some of the photos were pretty funny - think late 70's BIG HAIR on a couple of present (and much older) SSS vets.

"Those old square hard discs"? I'm thinking they might more likely be on those old 8 1/2 x 11 rectangular floppy discs.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    "Those old square hard discs"? I'm thinking they might more likely be on those old 8 1/2 x 11 rectangular floppy discs.
    Yikes, Max! You're right. I bought my first IBM computer in 1986. It came with a 4" thick book on DOS. hahaha. As if I would read all that.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    We have the old archive, but no one can remember the proper toggle switch settings to boot the PDP-11.

Srsly, if someone has a stack of hardcopy material, we have a very fancy scanner at my work, I can very quickly scan it and get it up on the new website, and return the originals to whomever.

I just ran into Paul Kamen at the Berkeley marina. He says he has slides of boats sailing in that first singlehanded Farallones race in 1978. He will try to find them for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I just ran into Paul Kamen at the Berkeley marina. He says he has slides of boats sailing in that first singlehanded Farallones race in 1978. He will try to find them for us.
    I happen to have SHTP posters, the ones the Jim DeWitt did, from 1990, 1994 and 1998. They were up in my work offices for years and served as motivators for me for a very long time. I would be willing to donate them to an SSS archive.

The 1990 one is of, I THINK is Bill Stange on the Olson 30 "Intense".

The 1994 one is of Dan Newlands next boat, the Newland 368, Pegasus

The 1998 one is Bruce Schwab's Rumbleseat

The 1990 poster is rather water-stained, but intact. The other two are really pretty pristine.

AND of course I have the 2008 poster, signed by most of the skippers and also Synthia, who was on RC that year, but I ain't parting with that one for a while!!
    Last edited by AlanH; 10-30-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I also have a 1992 Singlehanded Farallones sweatshirt. That was my first Farallones race, ever. I think I also have a 1994 race t-shirt. It was the only one ever printed, that I know of, with glow-in-the-dark ink. Honest!

Somewhere out there, from 1996 I think, there are a very, very few SSS "Hanalei 1-2" t-shirts. There's a bit of memorabilia for you. That was the year that Terry McKelvey did the SHTP.

Peter Hogg did a bunch of races in the 80's and early 90's, he might have a bundle of memorabilia. Dan Newland won a bucketload of races...monohulls...at the same time and he might also have memorabilia. I think Dan has won more SHTP's than anybody else.

This web page is interesting, though I don't know the person who wrote it, at all. He didn't actually do the 1980 race..

http://www.oocities.org/thetropics/5471/crossing.htm