Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sss history

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I also have a 1992 Singlehanded Farallones sweatshirt. That was my first Farallones race, ever. I think I also have a 1994 race t-shirt. It was the only one ever printed, that I know of, with glow-in-the-dark ink. Honest!

Somewhere out there, from 1996 I think, there are a very, very few SSS "Hanalei 1-2" t-shirts. There's a bit of memorabilia for you. That was the year that Terry McKelvey did the SHTP.
    Hi Alan, if you could take some high resolution pics of your materials and make them available, that would be super awesome. Probably more important that the posters themselves, to share on the website. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Hi Alan, if you could take some high resolution pics of your materials and make them available, that would be super awesome. Probably more important that the posters themselves, to share on the website. Thanks!

I can do that!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

While ago a member on Sailing Anarchy...his handle is Billy Bob, wrote that he'd done the 1980 SHTP on a Moore 24. He's currently living in New Zealand. I'm not really active on Sailing Anarchy, but I know some folks on our forum, are. I will message him, and perhaps others can, as well. It would be great to have him write up a story about the 1980 race and share some memorabilia.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Hi, Alan, I think it's GREAT that you have all that stuff. The fact that lots of information has been lost because there are no hard copies is a wake-up call. For instance, it's great to have the online biographies but if someone hadn't saved these old programs that history would not be available to share. I don't know that any online Club history is available prior to 1998, although I'd love to be proven wrong. Paul Kamen is still digging around for the photos of the first Farallones. I have PM'd you (that means sent you a private message).

Luckily no one died in the first SSS Farallones Race, 4/09/77, or SSS may well have sunk before crossing the starting line. What the hell the El Toro KATIDID was doing on the race track was beyond comprehension. "What's it rate?" Don't ask.

A recap of the race, below, garnered a half page in the SF Chronicle Sports Section. Wowza. Paul Kamen on the Santana 22 MAMBO was last to finish at 6:20 a.m. but won his division.

MERLIN started the race with a double reef and storm jib, same rig she finished with. Bill Lee, sailing MERLIN solo in her maiden race, ran 27 miles back from the Farallones in 2 hours, 04 minutes.

In a freak accident, a member of the RC dislocated his knee cap and suffered a fracture aboard the committee boat.

Be careful out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-31-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Skip, I just left a phone message for Mike Pyzel, whom you'll probably remember from the '78 SHTP. Mike is a surveyor in Santa Barbara.

Ms Philpott, I'm thinking we might be able to get 3-4 guys from that first race together and videotape the ensuing hilarity. At the very least we should be able to get Mike Pyzel, Skip, and Paul Kamen around a beer or two with a camera rolling...

I'm also making inquiries around to see if I can locate Mike Kane, who did the '82 race and I think still lives in Newport Beach.
    Last edited by AlanH; 10-31-2013 at 04:40 PM.

http://www.latitude38.com/letters/199806.htm

Amy Boyers address isn't functional any more but I'll see if I can track her down. I just messaged the Heli-Skiing outfit she used to work for.
    Last edited by AlanH; 10-31-2013 at 04:48 PM.

From this Latitude 38 archive - http://www.latitude38.com/letters/200607.htm

PERHAPS THE BEST 19 DAYS OF MY LIFE

Now that I'm well into my 80th year, I seem to look backward more than forward. In that looking backward, one adventure was particularly outstanding - the 1980 Singlehanded TransPac that I did with my Columbia 29 Ariel.

I'd always planned to do another Singlehanded TransPac, but time slipped by.

The purpose of my letter is to encourage sailors to seriously consider entering this event. It's too late for this year, of course, as the fleet set sail late last month. But as it takes nearly two years to get yourself and your boat ready for such an endeavour, now is the perfect time to get started for the next Singlehanded TransPac.

I was lucky enough to enjoy many sailing adventures in my life, but take it from an 80-year-old, the Singlehanded TransPac stands out for its impact on me as a person and my personal sense of achievement.

I was, of course, told that I was crazy to enter such a race, so be prepared for criticisms.

As a further enticement, I have attached a photo I took out a port of my boat while anchored in Hanalei Bay after the race. Back then, the girls seemed to have an aversion to wearing clothes while on boats.

John Hill
    Ariel, Columbia 29
    Belmont

John - As inspiring as the photo you sent might be, it's a little too raw for even Latitude.

Nonetheless, we were in Hanalei for the finish of that biggest Singlehanded TransPac ever, and remember it well. As such, we decided to dig up a list of the participants from 26 years ago, and wonder in print how many are still alive, and how many are still sailing. The entries were:

Bob Counts, Sanderling, Golden Gate 25
    Bob Boyes, Saltshaker, Moore 24
    Amy Boyer, Little Rascal, Wilderness 21
    Lester Robertson, Legs, Moore 24
    John Carson, Argonaut, Cal 40
    Don Keenan, Hanalei Flyer, Olson 30
    Rod Park, Panach, Bill Lee 40
    Charles Hawley, Slim, Moore 24
    Michael Harting, Challenge, Custom 37
    Ronald Haynes, Whither Thou, Norwest 33
    Dick Mitchell, Blithe Spirit, Pearson 36
    Buzz Sanders, Red Boat, Cal 29
    Harold Upham, Joshua H., Columbia 8.7
    Ian Kiernan, Maris, Tasman 38
    Dan Byrne, Fantas, Valiant 40
    John Hill, Ariel, Columbia 29
    Greg Booth, Wavelength, Cal 40
    Hans Vielhauer, Mach Schnell, Scampi 30
    Douglas Fryer, Night Runner, Custom 42
    David Briggs, Gandalf, Irwin 34
    Leland Flint, Luana Iki, Farallon 30
    Sam Vahey, Odysseus, Ranger 37
    Frank Dinsmore, Carina, Islander 28
    Linda Weber-Rettie (Newland), Rough & Rettie, Yamaha 33
    Samuel Crabtree, Catch The Wind, Cal 39
    Michael Herz, Kunu, Ericson 35
    Judson Zenzic, Catch 22, Custom 20
    Jerry Cotter, Errant Prince, Custom 40
    John Waite, Stormalong II, Ericson 35
    Hal Holbrook, Yankee Tar, Gulf 40
    Ted Holland, Solaris ,Columbia 36
    Donald Eldridge, Skol, Valiant 32
    Thurman Smithey, Venture, Rawson 30
    Kathy Senelly, Erasmus, Cal 25
    Michael Olsen, Hale Maka, Chrysler 26
    Philip Good, Catspaw, Catalina 30
    Frank Shirley, Osiris, Willard 36

Just for fun, we went into the archives and dug out the above black and white photos of some of the participants. Anybody else know where the others are?

http://www.latitude38.com/letters/200611.htm

SEVENTEEN MILES INTO THE 1980 SSS TRANSPAC

Thurman Smithey of the Rawson 30 Venture reporting in. I am one of the Class of '80 Singlehanded TransPac, although my trip ended 17 miles from the start - I could still see the Golden Gate Bridge - when my backstay gave way and the mast broke at the spreaders. The lower part of the mast remained standing, supported by the lower shrouds. The upper part bent over until it rested on the lifelines, with the masthead nearly in the water.

Within half an hour, I had retrieved all of the wiring and other stuff that was in the water, had started the engine, and had used the emergency VHF antenna we were all wisely required to have to make contact with the Coast Guard. It was agreed that I didn't require assistance, although I could keep in periodic contact with them.

At that point I rigged my Ham radio backup antenna and called a Ham friend in San Diego. He promptly patched me through to the (now) San Diego Union-Tribune sailing reporter Bill Center, who had been following the efforts of Kathy Senelly of the Cal 25 Eramus and myself, the two San Diego entrants in the race.

I spent the rest of the summer of '80 motoring around the Delta awaiting a new mast, then singlehanded back to San Diego.

In '81 I sailed with crew from San Diego to Fanning Island, then I singlehanded home. I was ready to do the '82 TransPac, but declined to enter - in part because of what I remember to be an eight-fold increase in the entrance fee. So I just singlehanded from San Diego to Hawaii by myself. It wasn't a quick trip, but it was without incident.

I kept Venture for 32 years, but I parted with the boat in 2000 after she was doing more sitting than sailing.

I am presently 85 years old, and am looking forward to her new owner, Walt Shannon, taking me on one last sail he has promised on Venture. He presently has the boat in a yard in Sacramento where he is giving her a lot of the TLC that she needed. But who knows, maybe Walt will have a go at the Singlehanded TransPac himself with Venture.

Thurman Smithey
    Chula Vista

Thurman - Well done!

When some folks whine that they can't go cruising because boats are too expensive, we like to point to folks such as yourself who have made long and successful ocean passages with modest, inexpensive boats. For example, there's a Rawson 30 in Napa for sale right now for $9,500 - and we suspect the owner might be open to offers. Assuming the boat would check out reasonably well, a sailor could have a ball cruising a boat such as that in Mexico and beyond. It obviously wouldn't have a glamorous interior, but it could do the job.

------------

Looks like Kathy Senelly might be in San Diego...

Hans Vielhauer has also done a bunch of SHTP's. I *THINK* I bought a solar panel from him in '96. He was living in Half Moon Bay at the time.