Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sss history

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post

Ms Philpott, I'm thinking we might be able to get 3-4 guys from that first race together and videotape the ensuing hilarity. At the very least we should be able to get Mike Pyzel, Skip, and Paul Kamen around a beer or two with a camera rolling...
    Mr Hebert, I think that is a very excellent idea. You get 'em together and we'll rustle up ourselves a film crew and some grub. How about on a boat? That would give the film an intimate, sailing framework. It might have to be a big boat. Jackie

So wonderful, Alan.

I found Rob's e-mail...looks like they're heading out REALLY soon. (like, tomorrow!!!) I've found someone on LinkedIn who might be the Terry McKelvey we know.

Local vets from '96 race include Mark Deppe, Rob MacFarlane, Mike Jefferson and Fred Hess. ALL of these guys are still around. Are Mike and Susan back from cruising, yet? We ought to be able to get them all together pretty quickly. Mike did the last SHTP so we should have his e-mail etc. I can contact Mark via Facebook if nothing else.

Anybody know contact information for Fred Hess?

Gary Helms has GOT to be around, still. Yeah, I just left a phone message for him at his brokerage...

I'm trying to locate Doug Graham...
    Last edited by AlanH; 11-01-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Some Interesting stuff from Doug Graham, written after the race and published on the Yankee Dolphin 24 website:

===========================

February 4, 2008

It has been twelve years since that adventure. I have been building and sailing 12’ San Francisco Pelicans for racing and cruising since then. I chose a Dolphin because I like the traditional look, and I wanted the potential to cruise. I didn’t like the expense of the marina year round, and I enjoy working on my boat at home. After a solo trip from San Francisco to southern California, I decided I didn’t want anymore solo ocean sailing, but I wanted to learn more about sailing.

In 1994, I joined the Single-Handed Sailing Society in San Francisco. Before this, my sailing knowledge came out of a book and my own experience. I learned a great deal about racing and cruising in this organization. I kept improving my boat and skills, and I decided to do the Long-Pac, which is a race 200 miles out into the Pacific Ocean and back. It is rough sailing off the Pacific coast, and after getting slammed about for five days, I wanted no part of the Hawaii race. However, I kept improving the boat, equipment, and my skills. Eventually, I got to the point where I just had to do the Transpac.

I suppose I was driven to do this because I can’t resist a challenge. I was afraid of this challenge, but extensive preparation and experiences in local races and cruising helped give me the courage. The Single-Handed Sailing Society also had about eight monthly meetings with speakers on each phase of the preparation. My wife, the reluctant sailor, went to these meeting with me to make sure I wasn’t taking any shortcuts. She insisted I have an SSB, which led to the necessity of a generator. I spent over $10,000 getting the boat ready for the trip.

After the Transpac, I did sail down the coast in a race to Santa Barbara with my son, and then went on to Ensenada, Mexico with a friend. Reluctantly, I sold the boat in 2000 because I was looking for new challenges. I would have liked to have gotten a bigger and more comfortable boat and joined the cruising life part of the year, but my wife, whom I love, is of a different temperament.

Doug

February 8, 2008

I think SSS members questioned my ability more than the boat for the Transpac. My non-sailing friends in Antioch questioned both. Regarding my experiences at sea, I would say at times I was scared, lonely, and discouraged. You can’t dwell on this aspect of a solo voyage or you will drive yourself crazy. I was in touch with others in the race twice a day, and I called my wife every third day. I read a lot and designed a camper for my truck, which I built when I got home. I checked the rigging and wind vane hardware once a day.

The longer you are at sea, the more you are in tune to your environment and you also become more sensitive to its moods .I slept whenever I felt tired, usually about one or two hours at a time, unless a squall came through, when I had to lower the twin head-sails. I spent most of my time down below. It was always kind of amazing that the boat was still going when I woke up. I couldn't’t let myself worry about other boats and ships. Most of the trip was out of the shipping channels. At night, I kept a strobe going on top of the mast and the VHF on Channel 16.

Unlike some of the boats, I didn’t have very many mishaps. I tore out the tack on one of the twin headsails, but I was able to repair it. On the return trip, I heard a banging against the hull during rough weather. It turned out to be the headstay. It didn’t take long to drop all sails. It turned out to be a broken turnbuckle. I replaced it with a spare. During one of the squalls on my approach to Hawaii, I lowered all sails and I was still doing four knots. I use a spinnaker in light air, but it required too much attention and worry. I mostly relied on a set of used twin headsails, especially at night, on my way to Hawaii. With the CB up and the twins pulling, I could ride a wave for a long ways!

Here are some of the modifications I made to the boat. I reinforced the bow area with fiberglass to prevent oil canning. I put in large cockpit drain holes leading into the engine well. I rigged the boat so I could raise and lower the mast myself. I built doghouse to replace the hatch cover, so I could stand up down below and look out.

My daily routine was mostly boring. Radio check-in was usually the highlight. When you are alone at sea, boring is good. Cooking was one pot meal on a sea swing stove. The head was a bucket. Showers were a sunshower in the cockpit. I plotted my position on the chart a couple times a day. I navigated with the GPS set for Analgesia Bay, Kauai. I set the deviation for + or – 5 miles. I usually had to adjust the wind vane every four hours. I motored through most highs on return trip using autopilot.

What did I learn about myself and the boat? I think the boat and I became one. I took care of the boat and the boat took care of me. A third party on the trip would have to be the elements. All three of us worked together and responded accordingly. The longer you are on the water, the more you feel a part of your boat and the environment.

I still find it amazing that I accomplished this feat. I learned that I am made of more than I thought.

Doug

September 4, 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Skip, I just left a phone message for Mike Pyzel, whom you'll probably remember from the '78 SHTP. Mike is a surveyor in Santa Barbara.

Ms Philpott, I'm thinking we might be able to get 3-4 guys from that first race together and videotape the ensuing hilarity. At the very least we should be able to get Mike Pyzel, Skip, and Paul Kamen around a beer or two with a camera rolling...

I'm also making inquiries around to see if I can locate Mike Kane, who did the '82 race and I think still lives in Newport Beach.
    Mr Hebert, Here's a recent quote from Skip Allan: "Paul Kamen and I once fantasized about racing a "Zero-Handed Transpac." The Saildrone may bring this fantasy nearer reality." So, I think they can be persuaded to participate in your video idea. Now all we have to do is find an ambitious videographer among the many talented SSSers. Or their children or their grandchildren!!! The Club has a video camera and tripod. We will be able to find a location. One with boats, methinks. What do you ALL think? All you lurkers out there! You know it would be fun to watch this video. Jonathan, with all your photographic talent: are you interested? This is the SSS. Film with what you got.

Okay, Alan, we've located a videographer and Paul has said he is interested. I'll bet a room at the Berkeley Yacht Club could be found. Would you care to send out the invitations and suggest dates for this historical undertaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Okay, Alan, we've located a videographer and Paul has said he is interested. I'll bet a room at the Berkeley Yacht Club could be found. Would you care to send out the invitations and suggest dates for this historical undertaking?

I'm still trying to get Mike Pyzel in on this, but he's not answering phone calls. Gimme a few more days...

I just talked to Mike Pyzel, he's jazzed, is looking forward to coming up and will bring some memorabilia that we can scan and photograph...Including some unusual items like a taffrail log. I've read about taffrail logs for years and years, but I've never actually SEEN one. Mike has to drive up from Santa Barbara for this, but he's willing to do it. I'm going to get some open dates from him in the next day or two and then we'll see if we can't get some dates to line up.

Now to see if I can't locate one or two more folks from '78..

I've found Norton Smith, he's in Medford, OR. He runs a foundation called Whole Systems Foundation.

http://www.whole-systems.org/index.html

I've e-mailed him to see if he'd be willing to come down.

I just came across this...

http://www.doylemarine.com/?action=p...product=636595

A singlehanded transpac video????? This is ringing very vague bells in the back of my head, but I'm not really sure I've ever seen this. Whatever the case the SSS should own a copy or two.

BTW, I own a copy of "The Floating Harpsichord" which is a very unusual book written by Peter Strykers, MD. It's a compendium of his experiences. The first 70 pages area rundown of equipment needs and boat selection information. The next 100 pages, more or less are a *seriously* blow-by-blow account....he spoke into a tape recorder and then transcribed what he said, later....of his log of the trip in 1984, I believe. The remaining 100 pages are an in-depth accounting of his ideas regarding medicine at sea.

It can be purchased here....http://www.amazon.com/The-Floating-H.../dp/0898151902

for a rip-snorting $4 plus shipping. The SSS archive should have a copy or two, I think. I just bought a copy that's supposed to be in good condition. I'll donate it to the SSS.
    Last edited by AlanH; 11-16-2013 at 02:08 PM.