Thread: GPSNavX

Default GPSNavX

I finally downloaded the demo version and grabbed a mess of charts of California and Hawaii from NOAA. Importing the charts and viewing them was a snap in GPSNavX. It's MILES easier than SeaClear II, which is free on the 'net. You can also get SeaClear with every single NOAA raster chart on a CD from ebay for twelve bucks. (I ordered the CD). I'll wager that my Mac will happily read all those charts into GPSNavX as well.

For those of you that don't know, GPSNavX is a charting software package that was written by former SSS'er Richard Ray.

One question...since I know Rich reads this forum now and then, and some of you have used the software......Is it possible to set a persistent audio alarm when an AIS target approaches within a certain distance?
    Last edited by AlanH; 04-02-2008 at 06:47 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I have the stand-alone NASA AIS so I can't answer that part, but I'll report that I used GPSNavX during the '06 race (on a MacBook) and it was great.

It was a last-minute decision to take a computer and really went "against the grain" for me because of my dinghy-sailing roots. I used GPSNavX mostly to enter the positions of the other boats, which would have been tedious with a chartplotter or on paper charts.

I just upgraded to Rich's other product, MacENC, which uses vector charts. This has taken some getting used to but it's still very easy to use. It's a really complete, full-featured product for the money. I plan to use the performance module in MacENC to see how well I can sail the boat to its polars during the race. I will also probably purchase the MillTech SR-161 to get AIS input into MacENC. The AIS is so important to me that I'm wanting a backup for the unit I have.

Rich has really come up with winners with these products. Kinda cool that he's also an SSS'er.