Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SHTP carbon-offsets

Default SHTP carbon-offsets

Reading the latest issue of Maclean’s magazine (our national weekly newsmagazine up here) this evening and one of the articles got me thinking……..

It was (yet another) re-hash about greenhouse gases, coal fired power plants, outrageous dependency on the internal combustion engine, blah, blah blah - and told of a group of NHL players (most of whom could not spell ‘carbon offset’) teaming up with the David Suzuki Foundation to buy carbon offsets because they play on artificial ice and fly around in airplanes to get to the next fight. !!!! Just imagine…….

This has to be the 'next big thing' as far as a way to make easy money-for-nothing.

Why, it could provide a golden opportunity for us to set up some sort of an international (Canada and the USA) corporation to flog similar hooey to any who are feeling particularly angst-ridden over buying another new Hummer. Or whatever.

We could offer these miraculous guilt-reducers at high prices in either currency, and with a satisfaction-guaranteed (our own satisfaction, that is) promise. OK, admittedly whoever buys-in to this will not get anything tangible out of it, but we may be able to recoup a portion of our entry fees.

I mean, what could possibly be greener than a sailboat race…..and we even fasten our propeller shafts to PROVE we don’t use our engine move the boat along!!! While perhaps a wee bit misleading - maybe - there no sense confusing things with the whole battery-charging discussion at this (or any) point, at least as far as this business plan is concerned.

We could even charge extra for creating habitat on the ocean floor, for little bottom creatures to hide in, from big bottom creatures – by tossing tin cans over the side as we make the crossing to Hawaii. Naturally, this would attract an additional fee, but because this option would be exercised in international waters, it need not be taxed.......

All we need is some guy with a sincere face, no morals, and the ability to design a slick web-page, to be our point man.

Haulback will kick in 35% of any SHTP carbon offsets sold in Canada to whoever takes the job…

Jim/Haulback
    Last edited by haulback; 04-02-2008 at 08:58 PM.

I think you're onto something there, Haulback.

I think every one of our select group of Presidential candidates would support this too. (BTW we'll trade the lot to you for those NHL players and a couple of future draft choices.)

I can set up the 501(c)(3) for you. Wait! SSS is already exempt - we could accept carbon-offset payments as donations! I can see it all now . . . !

The SSS TransPac Race and Development, Inc. should expand business opportunities to include a waterfront development division and assemble a business plan to start developing the new club house and facilities on the Composer Islands. Admittedly they're underwater now, but in the not-too-distant millenia this will be prime property located clear of the risky hurricane zone to the south.

If a business can be made of selling naming rights to stars, and building lots on the moon, then we can certainly get some investors on board for a new marina and small boat crane on, say, Liszt Island, with adjacent Mozart Island appearing any time now. For those that prefer a more temperate climate we should locate weekend getaway facilities on the more remote and rustic Kermit Island.

Then we can flog carbon offsets to non-sailors that wish to visit the islands, as we sail by on our way to Hanalei.

- rob/beetle

Default no dumping

Quote Originally Posted by haulback View Post
    We could even charge extra for creating habitat on the ocean floor, for little bottom creatures to hide in, from big bottom creatures – by tossing tin cans over the side as we make the crossing to Hawaii. Naturally, this would attract an additional fee, but because this option would be exercised in international waters, it need not be taxed.......
    Jim/Haulback
    Sorry to put a kink in your chair, or whatever the appropriate expression should be, BUT the modified racing rules require that you bring ALL your trash with you to the finish line, even biodegradable cans, glass, paper. According to my sailing partner Sylvia, "If you haven't eaten it first (or wiped your butt with it) and it goes overboard, then you're going to hell". And believe me, she is never wrong. Just trying to save y'all from a future of hellfire and damnation. Oh, and apparently accordions.

Synthia/Eyrie
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Sorry to put a kink in your chair, or whatever the appropriate expression should be, BUT the modified racing rules require that you bring ALL your trash with you to the finish line, even biodegradable cans, glass, paper.
    Actually, the rules require the ability to store trash in two separate containers; there's no requirement that any trash be stored. A similiar issue was noted by Alchera in a prior race, in which the rules required water containers - but no mention that they contain water

"4.12 Storage facilities to contain all rubbish on board up to the arrival ashore. Recyclable rubbish shall be contained separately from non-recyclable rubbish."

I kind of like the idea of providing habitats for small defenseless critters of the deep with our cleaned, carefully placed, individualized habitat tin cans: our racers support the small guy. As Haulback points out we can charge extra for this service.

- rob/beetle

They have accordions in hell? I wish someone had told me that earlier in life...

- Mark

"4.12 Storage facilities to contain all rubbish on board up to the arrival ashore. Recyclable rubbish shall be contained separately from non-recyclable rubbish."

Hear me now and beleive me later, you are REQUIRED to bring all your trash to shore in Hanalei.

"10.6 The Race Committee reserves the right to re-inspect any yacht after the finish. A yacht found not complying with the Racing Rules and Conditions may be disqualified, otherwise penalized, and/or excluded from future Singlehanded Transpac participation."

Your choice if you want to play Russian Roulette as to weather you will be re-inspected at the finish line...

Quote Originally Posted by Alchera View Post
    They have accordions in hell? I wish someone had told me that earlier in life...
    According to Gary Larson (Far Side, 10/4/02), when you arrive to Heaven, you get a harp. When you arrive to Hell, you get an accordion.

According to the Race Chair, when you arrive in Hanalei without your trash, you catch Hell!!!

Synthia/Eyrie
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Did RC note on her recent visit to Hanalei if there were provisions to recycle? Last time I was there, the nearest recycling collection depot was two miles east of Princeville.

99% of Kauai's trash, recyclable or not, goes into landfill. As noted in a previous post, I encourage all competitors to plan ahead, and repackage as much as possible into reusable containers. Even Ziplocks can be washed and reused.

That said, how can RC know if trash went overboard if they don't inspect for food packaging ahead of time? If we arrive with zero trash and a big smile, are we DSQ?

Default Just try me...

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    That said, how can RC know if trash went overboard if they don't inspect for food packaging ahead of time? If we arrive with zero trash and a big smile, are we DSQ?
    "10.5 A final inspection will be performed on all yachts on Friday July 11, 2008 at the assembly point specified in RRC Rule 13. At this time yachts will be inspected for, at a minimum, the following: EPIRB, life raft, anchor, water and food. Nothing in these rules precludes the inspector from performing a more complete inspection of the yacht."
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post

Hear me now and beleive me later, you are REQUIRED to bring all your trash to shore in Hanalei.
    That may have been the intent, but the wording does not support the intent.

The requirement is to have facilities. There is no requirement to actually *use* the facilities.

How would the intent handle the case of a competitor that wishes to keep their trash on board and not bring it ashore in Hanalei

- rob