Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SHTP carbon-offsets

I like to keep this stuff simple.

My "face-value" reading of the Rules and Conditions is that 1) we need storage facilities aboard (and use them) and 2) we need to contain recyclables separate from non-recyclables.

I'm pretty sure Synthia told me that two garbage bags would comply with the storage requirement. That's what I used in '06 so the only thing I'll do different is tie them in the back of the cockpit so they can't get washed overboard.

On the second part, could we have a clarification from the R/C as to what will be considered recyclables?

I think that's all we need to know. Please tell me if it's fancier than that.

I respectfully suggest that the Committee consider modifying the rule to permit racers to dump at sea empty metal cans and empty glass bottles that will promptly sink. I believe this would be both legal and ethical. It would be very helpful to folks on little boats like mine.

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

Quote form Alchera
    <<<<<<Ok, so I found a web page that lists what can be recycled in Kauai:

#1 and #2 Plastics (plastic bottles)
    Aluminum cans (no tin cans)
    Cardboard
    Glass
    Junk Mail (brochures, maps, magazines, etc.)
    Newspapers

Containers must be rinsed and have their caps/lids removed. (I hope salt water is OK..) Notice that tin cans are not allowed. So those empty Dinty Moore cans are not recycleable, they go in with the normal trash. >>>>>>>>end quote

So, how many bags, sacks, buckets and containers are we each going to need to sort all this crap out into???? Recycleables are just trash if not sorted, right????

I count 6 different categories above (not to mention bags of 'regular' garbage) I cannot see the RC agreeing, after we hand over our individual collections to them, to sort through big bags of wet, smelly mixed rubbish left stewing for two weeks in an unventilated cockpit locker. But I guess they may have to do this anyway to check off what we have in THE BAG and co-collate with list they made of what we left with.......

Glad I am in the race and not helping out in Hanalei this year

Jim/Haulback

Quote Originally Posted by haulback View Post
    So, how many bags, sacks, buckets and containers are we each going to need to sort all this crap out into???? Recycleables are just trash if not sorted, right????
    Actually, most recycling centers nowdays do the sorting for you, you just bring them your recycleables all mixed together and they do the work. So no, you don't need a different bag for each kind! At least that's the assumption I'm going on, and that's all that the RC is requiring.

- Mark

With a lull in the forum, time for a quick reminisce. Back in the “old” days, we would save paper trash and celebrate mid-ocean with a “Fire Boat.” A Fire Boat was a cardboard box filled with the paper and cardboard, a dash of flammable fluid, and set aflame. The fire boat was gently dipped in the stern wake, usually after sunset, where it made a spectacular sight as it disappeared astern. Sometimes, in benign conditions, a Fire Boat could be seen for a mile or more on the empty ocean.

We never thought of a Fire Boat as a tactical weapon, as such practices went out of style with 16 pounders, boarding parties, brass monkeys, and the Battle of Trafalgar. But in April of 1986 we were racing SIDEWINDER out of Newport, RI, in the Admiral's Cup trials. For the distance race, the course criss-crossed Long Island Sound, returning to Newport 48 hours later

Being an IOR lead dog, under spinnaker SIDEWINDER dug quite a wake as we overtook the smaller One Tonners who had started an hour ahead. As the sun set the first night, the fleet of One Tonners recognized an opportunity when they saw it, and jumped on our wake as we passed to get a free “tow.”

As darkness closed in, we realized we now had 7-8 smaller boats close astern, all in a row (“train”), all going the same speed as ourselves, due to the towing effect of riding downhill on the stern wake of a bigger (and faster) boat. Our hopes of representing the USA at the Admiral's Cup in England were rapidly diminishing.
    We tried everything to shake our tow-ees, including rapid course changes, and temporarily turning out our sternlight. But the competition was skilled in hanging on in this situation, and for miles we couldn't shake them.

Then someone remembered a Fire Boat. It only took a word to crewmember Dave (a professional garbage man) for him to spring into action. Dave disappeared below and five minutes later emerged with a proper Fire Boat. He climbed onto SIDEWINDER's reverse transom and lit it off. When the flames got going, Dave put the Fire Boat in our wake.

The “train” of boats towing in our wake could see the mysterious flames arising directly in their path and quickly altered course, both to windward and leeward, thereby breaking the “train.” No damage was done, but all lost attachment to their “tow,” and we took off towards the next mark off New Haven unimpeded, eventually won the race, and went to England.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-22-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: mispelling

Good story.

Made me start a chain of thought ...... that this year our paper and cardboard will follow a very similar course, I assume. here is my best guess....

Taken to recycle post on Kauai, probably driven there in a car (gasoline)maybe a 'special' trip. Then by truck (diesel) to someplace to be loaded (front-end loader or stacker) then barged (tugboat) to another island and unloaded again (another stacker - diesel) and put in a storage yard for a while. Then moved again, probably a few times (stacker and truck to a container crane - possibly electric - how is that generated on the islands) onto a ship (diesel and bunker fuel) to follow our wake back to the mainland. Not sure how many more unloads/loads/road miles it will have before being chewed up and finally recycled on the mainland.

So it will be belching smoke and soot into the night sky while following our wake (figuratively) back to where we came from!!! Very Cool!!!!

And just think of all the jobs it helps support in the oil patch!!

Apart from that...Haulback in on the hard for a few weeks race-prep. Sanding off old bottom paint -which has given me over 4 years and probably about 40,000 miles of protection - Like saying goodbye to an old friend - but time for a new bottom.

Jim/Haulback