Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracker type comparison for use in the SHTP

Default Tracker type comparison for use in the SHTP

Tracker Type Comparison:

Yellow Brick (YB), DeLorme(DL)
    Common features:
    Both use Iridium satellites for 100% coverage of the course. Both provide hourly position updates. Both are self contained. Both have mapping services for online viewing.

Differences:
    YB are rented units, DL is purchased.
    If DL were to be selected the sailors would own the units once the race was over.
    DL's "In Reach" unit has built in short message service via a Bluetooth link to a smart phone or computer. YB's base unit does not provide this feature.
    YB provides a website accessible by all that shows hourly reports. DL has a website service for groups that shows global position at a premium price.
    YB units will run for about 30 days and possibly longer. DL would likely achieve 20 days but would need testing. In reality DL would have to include a small external battery to assure run time over the race course.
    YB is waterproof and mountable on the boats rail. DL is watertight but to accomodate a battery it would have to be housed in a small Otter Box and attached to the rail, at a small cost.
    DL's quarterly service would allow initial costs to be similar to YB but the added battery and cost of the Enterprise mapping service would drive the per boat cost well above the YB service.
    In summary DL, while attractive would not be turn key for the user or the committee, and would lack affordable website position reporting.

At least YB knows how to project the results using TOD now. I corrected all the ratings and did the math for them in 2012 - I hope they saved the formulas.

(No, I'm not indicating acquiescence . . .)

Understood.........you are still in the no way Jose column.

How many would be competitors for next year already own a DL...?
    Last edited by WBChristie; 12-05-2013 at 06:13 PM.

When I want to look at YB, I have to buy each race.

The racers I know with DL's do not mount them on the rail, they mount them at the nav station. They also use them for messaging and with other interfaces.

RC needs only 12 hourly position reports, not hourly.

Bob, what do you mean you did the TOD for YB in 2012?

While DeLorme charges extra for its group mapping service, I understood that this can be done in-house, an outside service is not necessarily required.

To make DL bullet proof we the RC need to do the following:
    1 Supply a waterproof box and an extra battery for the unit. This is to allow external mounting, else the skipper could accidentally take the DL offline. The battery is to assure operation all the way.
    2 Test the lifetime once a battery choice is made.
    3 Set up mode of operation for all units prior to install.
    -- if skipper wants to use the messaging service than we will have to enable bluetooth in the setup. Bluetooth battery use will have to be tested.
    4 Construct a mapping site and debug this prior to race start.

Seems like too much effort when we can go turn key with YB, almost no effort.
    BB

We don't know how many competitors have a DL, because we only have 3 entrants and of that number we know one has a Spot.

I have the DeLorme SE that I used offshore last year. I had it mounted below at the nav station. A nice feature is that the tracking website posts the text messages you send on the track whare and when you sent them. While a connection to a laptop makes texting easier, it can be done directly from the unit. I can assure you it does not need to be on the rail. I can charge from the ships system or it can operate on the batteries. I sent and received texts from my students and family easily. DeLorme offers a 'seasonal' subscription that costs me about $40.00 a month for a three month period. The cost of the subscription depends on the amount of texting you are planning on doing.Access to the tracking website was easy for the people watching. I am really impressed with the unit. My wife uses it on her backpacking trips. This is a piece of gear that has really performed flawlessly and is easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by sdpaine@cox.net View Post
    I have the DeLorme SE that I used offshore last year. I had it mounted below at the nav station. A nice feature is that the tracking website posts the text messages you send on the track whare and when you sent them. While a connection to a laptop makes texting easier, it can be done directly from the unit. I can assure you it does not need to be on the rail. I can charge from the ships system or it can operate on the batteries. I sent and received texts from my students and family easily. DeLorme offers a 'seasonal' subscription that costs me about $40.00 a month for a three month period. The cost of the subscription depends on the amount of texting you are planning on doing.Access to the tracking website was easy for the people watching. I am really impressed with the unit. My wife uses it on her backpacking trips. This is a piece of gear that has really performed flawlessly and is easy to use.
    Hi SD,
    Sounds great. In speaking with DL sales they tell me to get a "fleet" map, that is with more than two users, they require the purchase of an "enterprise" acct. They admitted that this would not be cost effective compared to other commercial mapping providers for 20 users who also have to purchase a 4 month subscription. The enterprise account will be a large expense. TO do the mapping function for the fleet we are then left to fend for ourselves as a club. That leaves us with having to duplicate what YB provides at no extra cost. Presently, unless DL were to alter their plan, the YB approach is lower cost and bullet proof for the sailors, their onlookers/loved ones, and the SSS committee. I have a few more questions pending at DL but it doesn't look like the best approach.

How about eliminating the "Tracker" requirement from the race instructions....???