Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VHF and PFD straps for 2014

Default VHF and PFD straps for 2014

The new requirement for a DSC/GPS/waterproof VHF and be filled with a Worst Marine VHF406 that is now on sale for $179. The comparable ICOm is $100 more. Not cheap but not the end of the world. Also Landfall has crotch straps for PFD's to meet this requirement so you don't have to replace your comfortable old PFD
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-26-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Thread title (only) changed.

Thanks, Allen!

Lucie

Defender Industries, always a good option for high priced national chain, has the Standard Horizon HX851 handheld for about $225 minus a $30.00 rebate. I think Santa delivered one under my tree last night. I'll find out later today when the family opens presents. Drat! Means I have to be nice and not cry for another few hours.

Landfall does have crotch straps, but you'll have to figure out how to attach them to your vest. I hope tying them on with Dyneema will pass the test. Otherwise it means opening some stitching somewhere and then restitching. -- Pat

Did'ja get the HX851, Pat? I found an Icom M92D under the tree!

I like Mustang's crotch strap accessory. It snaps over the existing PFD straps (not normal snaps, these are tough). I used this for a couple seasons until I got a Spinlock vest, which came with crotch straps (which I modified).

Here's the Mustang accessory:

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/ma3032.html
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-26-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Bob, Yes the HX851 (Defender Ind.). I'm filling out the $30 rebate since Santa left that as well. The HX851 goes with my S-H Matrix AIS GX2100 and replaces my perfectly okay S-H HX 280S. Don't you just love all this "HX" "GX" and numeral stuff? I almost need a CPA to figure out all those figures for me! Or maybe one of thos WWII code breakers. Sometimes I think I'm talking into a fancy Italian sports car.

I looked at the Mustang crotch strap, but the description (below) seemed to indicate it would only snap on to Mustand or SOSpenders.

"The MA3032 life jacket Leg / Crotch Strap Assembly can be easily and securely attached to all CO2 gas inflatable lifejacket models by Mustang and SOSpenders. When properly attached to the PFD the Leg Strap Assembly provides an efficient means to prevent the vest from riding up in the water when the vest is worn over tactical equipment and inflated. Quick release buckles allow the user to easily doff the harness and accommodate removal of the vest when neither is required."

I have my Spinlock, which comes with its own thigh straps for ocean races.

Pat

I think the Mustang straps would snap onto most brands of inflatable PFD's. I'll try to remember to bring the PFD w/straps to the 3BF skippers' meeting in case anyone wants to look at it.

With the Spinlock Deckvest (mine is the 275N) I had trouble getting the thigh straps in the right place - fortunately no videos of the effort were taken. So I cut off the short, horizontal piece of the strap and use them like the Mustang straps, which are much easier to put on and take off. As originally installed, I wouldn't have used the Spinlock straps most of the time (so why have them?).

Caveat/disclosure etc.: The GPS/DSC-enabled handheld and crotch straps (discussed in this thread) will be required in 2014 for races falling under the NorCalORC Minimum Offshore Requirements. These requirements were listed in last year's MOR to be effective 1/1/2014, so there's nothing new here. Affected races are OYRA and SSS ocean races.
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-26-2013 at 05:24 PM.

A few years ago I added this crotch strap to each of my inflatable PFD/harnesses:

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/sacs1000.html

I connected the back loops to the PFD harness (which could not be opened without cutting the strap stitching) using SS split rings from Svendsens. A retired coastie suggested the split ring connection. The rings are similar to these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-25mm-FLA...-/190875031608

I lived with one of these on during the 2012 SHTP and in day races and haven't had a problem moving around or sleeping (the rings lie flat when you lean against a bulkhead and I don't feel them).

Steve
    S/V Frolic

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post

Caveat/disclosure etc.: The GPS/DSC-enabled handheld and crotch straps (discussed in this thread) will be required in 2014 for races falling under the NorCalORC Minimum Offshore Requirements. These requirements were listed in last year's MOR to be effective 1/1/2014, so there's nothing new here. Affected races are OYRA and SSS ocean races.
    Is there a US Sailing Safety at Sea class required to participate in SSS Half Moon Bay, Drakes Bay, and/or SHF race for 2014?

Thanks,
    Todd

Hi Todd,

Yes, if you haven't been to a SAS course in the last five years. If you singlehand, I guess you get to decide which 30% of you will pay attention during the seminar. Here's the first one coming up:

http://norcalorc.org/

I decided to sign up for the full two-day ISAF-approved course at SFYC - you get to blow stuff up, burn stuff down, get wet, etc. Sounds like fun!

http://www.sfyc.org/Default.aspx?p=D...d=282300&vnf=1

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I've done both the full 2-day ISAF version and also the 1-day USS 'lite' version. The ISAF is way better, you actually fire flares, and jump in the harbor in full foulies and then get into a raft. Very much worth the extra time and expense, if your goal is to get experience vs. just getting the ticket punched.