Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VHF and PFD straps for 2014

Can someone explain the 30% requirement for offshore racers? Does this mean all single handed sailors have to take this training?
    -Steve
    Last edited by Steevee; 01-02-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steevee View Post
    Can someone explain the 30% requirement for offshore racers? Does this mean all single handed sailors have to take this training?
    -Steve
    That's right. All singlehanders doing ocean races in the Gulf of the Farallones (SH TransPac is not covered by these rules), and the skipper for doublehanded boats.

I think it's CRAP that we have to spend $$$ for a piece of VHF equipment which would be useful only until barely out of sight of
    the Gate? I already have the following means to call the Coast Guard: Rocket Flares, HH Red Flares, Orange Smoke, VHF w/
    masthead antenna (true, one must talk into it), 2 hand held VHFs (same as last), Satellite Fone with Alameeda CG fone nos. on
    my nav sta bulkhead, SSB radio capable of direct commo or thru Ham nets (I'm licensed) to connect with the Coasties. Oh, and
    cell phone which should work as far out as the VHF does.
    I still don't see the need! You people have rolled over and are still suffering from the Farallon race. I have never gone near those
    islands in 12 SHTPs. Again, there is only one way to make what we do SAFE....(see my previous post).

In my opinion you are right about the most recent Farallones incident causing a big over-reaction on the equipment side. The initial response was a push for adoption of the ISAF Offshore Special Regulations, most likely Category 2, for our local ocean races. If you've read that document you know how onerous and unnecessary that would have been. Fortunately the outcome was to take SSS's existing requirements for races outside the Gate and add a (very) few items, and then adopt that for OYRA, SSS and other local OA's to use if they choose. The Safety-at-Sea class required this year was one of those additions.

All to say - it was headed in a direction that would have been worse than what we ended up with.

What's cool is that SSS's core requirements (for races outside the Gate but not including the SHTP), with the local additions, became the "Coastal" requirements list now being used by US Sailing (nationwide). Finally, ISAF is now rewriting the OSR's to make them simpler and easier to use. ISAF is worldwide. Therefore, I like to think our band of local rebels had an international impact on trimming this stuff back and making it more reasonable. For those who think this is a good thing, give credit where it's due: The group that made it happen was the NorCalORC committee including Max Crittenden and Jim Quanci and headed by OYRA's Andy Newell. For those who don't think it's a good thing - it was some other guys.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-02-2014 at 03:10 PM.

I don't blame SSS for these knee jerk changes. It's the do-gooders who come up with stuff that makes them feel good, even if it completely misses the mark. "There was a problem and we did something about it". So thank us....

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I don't blame SSS for these knee jerk changes. It's the do-gooders who come up with stuff that makes them feel good, even if it completely misses the mark. "There was a problem and we did something about it". So thank us....
    Yeah, the new VHF requirement seems pretty silly. In 3 separate local meetings, where the USCG was present, I asked USCG if one was to choose a safety device, between the VHF with DSC/GPS or a PLB, they unanimously replied "PLB", and further explained under many questions that the PLB had an infrastructure that could site and locate a user anywhere. They cited cases in the Gulf of the Farallon's where VHF failed due to hills, cliffs blocking their visibility of the user. The people from USCG I asked included the SAR commander and the local commander.

I wonder how we arrived at a handheld VHF device ?

Having said this, maybe we should consider waiving this requirement for the SHTP. It adds really limited value given it would be worthless beyond the Farallon's .

I'm not sailing the SSS TransPac, but if I WERE singlehanding, I'd think of my handheld DSC/GPS radio as another layer of protection in the (I know) unlikely circumstances that I found myself detached from my boat, floating in the water. Since I also have my PLB hooked on, I'd get it turned on, but I don't think any SSS colleagues in their, hopefully, nearby boats hear that. They just might, just might get the DSC alarm and be able to come to my assistance - probably much sooner than a passing ship.

How might I become detached? If I believed that every SSS TransPac sailor actually snapped on each time he/she left the cabin I also believe I have a nearby bridge you might want to buy. I've seen the pictures/video. Even tethering on might not be enough since being dragged along at 7 or 8 knots might bring about a decision to take my chances floating rather than drowning. I think that's a major reason why our tethers have the snap shackle at the person end?

PLBs are, i think, a necessity too, but equally necessary is the willingness to have it hooked on to the PFD. Again, I doubt seriously if everyone does that. If you check some of my earlier posts about looking dorky with all those PLBs, VHFs, Flare pack, GPS, etc hanging around my neck or hooked onto my PFD you,'ll find responses questioning my sanity or poking fun. A manual EPIRB or PLB safely stowed below can't be much help in a sudden emergency. Even one carefully stowed in the cockpit is a remote chance if the cockpit's occupant ain't in the cockpit.

I'm helping Jim deliver "Green Buffalo" back from the PacCup and I plan to look like the proverbial Emergency Doughboy, especially during my night watches ,PLB and handheld DSC/GPS radio attached. Oh yes, and a pack of flares and a waterproof LED flashlight. --Pat

With the boat's VHF connected to my chartplotter, a DSC signal from a MOB's handheld will place a target on the screen so I can navigate to the MOB. If a few other boats are similarly equipped, we'll all be headed for the MOB before the PLB data even reaches the CG. That's pretty valuable in our 50-55 degree water.

But agreed, it's only relevant in the SHTP at the ends of the course.

In the opinion of the USCG the probability of another vessel hearing you is slim to none. In 1998 I lost a rudder on the way to Hawaii. There were running lights in sight. I called on VHF and shot off flares. No response. This from the mast head VHF. In 2012, another Hawaii adventure. I crossed paths at night several times with other boats, easily within visual range. No response on 16. I tend to agree with the USCG, the safest solution is a PLB or EPIRB.

Are you carrying both devices on your person while on deck ? And if so how do you keep them from not interfering with general boat handling ? I have found it tough to find a vest that can accommodate both devices reliably.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    In the opinion of the USCG the probability of another vessel hearing you is slim to none. In 1998 I lost a rudder on the way to Hawaii. There were running lights in sight. I called on VHF and shot off flares. No response. This from the mast head VHF. In 2012, another Hawaii adventure. I crossed paths at night several times with other boats, easily within visual range. No response on 16. I tend to agree with the USCG, the safest solution is a PLB or EPIRB.

Are you carrying both devices on your person while on deck ? And if so how do you keep them from not interfering with general boat handling ? I have found it tough to find a vest that can accommodate both devices reliably.

Brian
    Regular old handheld VHF http://www.sfbama.org/fs/Dramatic%20...20in%20DHF.pdf

3 hr wait for helo. 80 degree core temp (50% mortality rate)- GPIRB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WeVGdTpi2s

Flares
    http://http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets/Offshore/Hanson+Award/1999/3_1_99.pdf

"Digital Electronic" 360 degree "flare"
    Rescue 21- VHF/DSC/GPS handheld- your boat can find you, fellow racers, and CG (coastal)
    http://www.uscg.mil/acquisition/rescue21/dsc.asp

Final resort is EPIRB to ensure CG can rescue/recovery- that may be why you're hearing the epirb message from CG. (or venue or singlehanded?)
    bob