Thread: Emergancy "Tiller" Question

Default Emergancy "Tiller" Question

I would like to ask both the race committee & inspectors, of your definition of the requirement of Rule 4.42 (An emergency tiller capable of being fitted to the rudder stock). And I would also like to hear from the past TransPac vets on your solutions to meet the rule.

Lightspeed has a rudder shaft that exists at deck level (closed cockpit) and her tiller is of tubular aluminum. She did the 2012 Pacific Cup where their rule 4.15.1 states emergency tiller is required “except when the principal method of steering is my means of an unbreakable metal tiller”.

My first thought of the SSS rule 4.42 is that this was intended for most boats with a wheel, to insure the boat has a socket (or other arrangement) in the deck for an emergency tiller should the wires break or quadrat fouls, and also for wooden tiller boats should they experience a breakage of the wooden tiller itself.

I would appreciate some feedback on this rule so if I need to design and build something, I can get started.....Thanks,.....Rick/Lightspeed

Rick,

You passed the PacCup inspection.

The 2013 LongPac and 2014 TransPac RRC items regarding the emergency tiller are identical except for Item Number.

You passed the LongPac inspection with this equipment.

I say you are good.

I say this after racing on not one but TWO boats which have lost their steering as you describe. The Incident approaching the Farallones had big enough seas. The Incident approaching Pt Conception was, well, normal for Conception. Both required crew crawling into small places to fix. Ugly, but fixable.

Lucie

Thanks Ben & Lucie!!!…I sure hope you guys are enjoying the warmer weather!!! I also hope you are not part of the embargo (please give all of us an update)!!!
    I did make up two 2x4’s with through bolts for the LongPac but felt with Lightspeed aluminum tiller it was just to meet a rule.

Lightspeed’s weakness is more in her carbon fiber rudder shaft that could be shatter on impact. Besides our e-rudders, I thought a good spirited discussion (especially from vets) on how to deal with a broken tiller, fouled quadrant, or wires or broken shaft, would be a good discussion for my fellow class of 2014….Rick

Regarding the latest rules for the SHTP, I have a couple of questions/comments:

Re the requirement for MMSI number to be integrated into VHF equipment. I have perused the FCC data in which MMSI is discussed. This data states that vessels which travel to foreign countries must, instead of an MMSI number, have a Ship's Station License issued by the FCC. This license establishes a call sign for the vessel..."Harrier" has such a license and call sign
    (WRG8014). Thus, she has no MMSI number and, by my interpretation, cannot be issued one. Perhaps the SSL call sign can be integrated into the VHF???

Could one of the RC gurus please fill me in? If I were to enter the race, I would need to know how to comply with this, IMO ridiculous reqirement....

Also: The new increased cost over 13 other race fees that I have contributed is disturbing. Do I smell a transponder? Nothing mentioned in the public data that I have noticed. Thanks for your arrention....

That is interesting. If one looks at the AIS ship tracking sites, where world wide movement of vessels with AIS is tracked, every vessel appears to have an MMSI number. I notice they list call signs as well as MMSI.

Ex:
    Flag: Panama
    Type: Container Ship
    IMO: 9398383
    MMSI: 355283000
    Call Sign: 3FTY3

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    I would like to ask both the race committee & inspectors, of your definition of the requirement of Rule 4.42 (An emergency tiller capable of being fitted to the rudder stock). And I would also like to hear from the past TransPac vets on your solutions to meet the rule.

Lightspeed has a rudder shaft that exists at deck level (closed cockpit) and her tiller is of tubular aluminum. She did the 2012 Pacific Cup where their rule 4.15.1 states emergency tiller is required “except when the principal method of steering is my means of an unbreakable metal tiller”.

My first thought of the SSS rule 4.42 is that this was intended for most boats with a wheel, to insure the boat has a socket (or other arrangement) in the deck for an emergency tiller should the wires break or quadrat fouls, and also for wooden tiller boats should they experience a breakage of the wooden tiller itself.

I would appreciate some feedback on this rule so if I need to design and build something, I can get started.....Thanks,.....Rick/Lightspeed
    Hi Rick,

To be clear, do you have an emergency tiller ? I wonder how Pac cup determines what is unbreakable ? I have seen wooden tillers with metal attachments to the rudder post break at the metal due to fatigue. Our rules simply says you need an emergency tiller.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Regarding the latest rules for the SHTP, I have a couple of questions/comments:

Re the requirement for MMSI number to be integrated into VHF equipment. I have perused the FCC data in which MMSI is discussed. This data states that vessels which travel to foreign countries must, instead of an MMSI number, have a Ship's Station License issued by the FCC. This license establishes a call sign for the vessel..."Harrier" has such a license and call sign
    (WRG8014). Thus, she has no MMSI number and, by my interpretation, cannot be issued one. Perhaps the SSL call sign can be integrated into the VHF???

Could one of the RC gurus please fill me in? If I were to enter the race, I would need to know how to comply with this, IMO ridiculous reqirement....

Also: The new increased cost over 13 other race fees that I have contributed is disturbing. Do I smell a transponder? Nothing mentioned in the public data that I have noticed. Thanks for your arrention....
    Hi Ken -

Harrier's MMSI is 367179040 - I looked up your call sign in the FCC ULS database. One thing I learned by telephoning the FCC a long while back when Ineeded an MMSI, is to look at my ship's FCC radio station permit; turns out that the MMSI is already on it.

So I was pretty sure that since you have a call sign you also have an MMSI but didn't know it (just like I didn't know I had one).

- rob/beetle