Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sealed transmissions?

Default Sealed transmissions?

From what I understand, transmissions were not sealed in the 2012 race? Since it is a race, I think transmissions should be sealed....what say you?

Yes, 2012 the props were not strapped. A few questions about this practice.

I assume this is to prevent cheating ? What about other means of cheating, is there anything physically done to prevent ?

Are there any safety issues, for example light winds and strong tides at the start and getting past lands end ?

Has the RC ever stated penalties for use of the engine to avoid an obstruction, other than disqualification ? Or has there ever been a penalty or waiver issued ?

Many transmissions require shifting to reverse when in motion, but then need to be shifted to neutral for battery charging. Who has the expertise to seal a transmission that allows putting it in reverse/neutral without breaking the seal ?

Some feathering props require prop motion to feather, how does the sealing process effect these ?

Is the prop banded ? and if so is there a known band that will break without either coming off accidentally or fouling the prop ? Is a diver required to band ?

On the Hanalei end what is the inspection process ?

Is it the expectation that all boats can anchor without use of the prop ? Is it the expectation that a tow boat will be available in Hanalei (it wasn't in 2012 for many finishers).

Thanks,
    Brian
    Last edited by brianb; 12-27-2013 at 11:05 PM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I believe this is an anti cheating measure. I don't know that any other race in recent memory has done this. I think it is a bit of an archaic holdover from past practice. I doubt very much that Bermuda 1-2 etc. do this any longer.

Prior to 2012 it was always done, seemingly without difficulty. It adds credibility/prestige to the race, especially as a singlehanded race.

I recall a couple of boats needing to engage their engines for safety reasons. One went back and restarted (after having a new seal applied) and the other provided adequate explanation and no penalty was given.

The (thin) safety wire and seal can be applied either to the gearshift or the shaft itself. In addition, typical practice is to have a diver put a rubber band on the prop - most of us have our hulls wiped at CYC anyway - so if you need to leave the engine in neutral (vs. reverse) for charging batteries, the prop will stay closed. I don't know what boats with feathering props do, but it never seemed to be a problem.

In 2012 you had both the towboat screwup and the greeter boat screwup. That would have made sealing shafts difficult, but with proper planning those circumstances should not recur. The first task of the greeter is to check the safety wire and seal to make sure it isn't broken. Then the engine can be started and preparations made to anchor. Just part of the deal and most skippers in past years have supported the requirement.

Here's 2008 Race Chair Synthia checking DOGBARK's seal before helping Al anchor and serving up his drink of choice (more great SHTP traditions!)

http://www.norcalsailing.com/ssstpac...ish.video.html

Synthia added a finishing feature of her own: A cool, moist, magnolia-scented wash cloth for the skipper!

Last edited by BobJ; 12-28-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Most "rules" in the SSS have a boat name attached to them. Strapping props/transmissions for the TransPac is no exception. A 2nd reason was to "legitimize" the race in hopes of attracting a larger number of entries. Pat

My understanding of the reason for the waiver in the 2012 race was some confusion at the start on the part of the Corinthian yacht Club's understanding of liability issues re towing at the start. In previous years CYC towed Transpac boats out for the start of the race. However in 2012 no one who knew this practice was present at the start and so the Club balked at doing so. Max Crittenden can address this authoritatively (as in many things). Further, everyone agreed that all 2012 participants shared the Corinthian spirit, evidenced later by the crowd sourcing to save Dirk's boat.
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-28-2013 at 03:14 PM.

The Volvo ocean race still does this.
    http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static...mendment-1.pdf pg 5

Agree that the Corinthian spirit is a huge part of this race and part of the attraction for me. But, since we pay and it is a race, that part of it should be handled in a "racelike manner". It does not have to impinge on the Corinthian spirit, its just another rule like checking in or having certain equipment. Otherwise we should just get together with no formal race rules and sail to Hawaii.

I mean no disrespect.

Per my question: Many transmissions require shifting to reverse when in motion, but then need to be shifted to neutral for battery charging. Who has the expertise to seal a transmission that allows putting it in reverse/neutral without breaking the seal ?

Who did this work in the past and what tools/expertise are required ? Is there a volunteer that is familiar with sealing a transmission that won't cause damage if the prop shaft is engaged ? Someone in the club must know ?

Is the method of sealing unique, or can it be copied with some common items carried aboard somewhere down the course ?

Regarding outboard motors, how are they sealed ? Who is the expert ?

Brian
    Last edited by brianb; 12-28-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    The Volvo ocean race still does this.
    http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static...mendment-1.pdf pg 5

Agree that the Corinthian spirit is a huge part of this race and part of the attraction for me. But, since we pay and it is a race, that part of it should be handled in a "racelike manner". It does not have to impinge on the Corinthian spirit, its just another rule like checking in or having certain equipment. Otherwise we should just get together with no formal race rules and sail to Hawaii.

I mean no disrespect.
    I read through the Volvo rules and also the Bermuda 1/2. The former rules are substantial ! I guess when that much money is involved you need to really tighten things up. They even seal mobile phones. Bermuda 1/2, not so much, they don't seem to seal engines or cell phones. The same with PSSA races, like Guadalupe race. Kind of a mixed bag.

Volvo calls out procedures for seal removal and then recording, via a gps position photo, where seals were removed and where they were reapplied. Competitors are given multiple seals with special numbered tags. I suppose this is to allow a means of estimating the amount redress in case a seal is removed. Pretty detailed.

The title of this thread is a misnomer - you actually seal the shaft, or the shift lever in the correct direction. On my boat it was easier for them to seal the shift lever, which could then be moved between Reverse and Neutral. It would break the seal if it was moved to Forward. If the shaft itself was sealed, where movement of the shaft might break the seal, some skippers also clamped two pairs of vice grips (or similar) directly on the shaft and against the hull or structure, so the shaft wouldn't turn. In 2008, I recall Synthia also took a picture of each finished seal in case she needed it later - why don't you ask if she still has those pictures and then you'll have a representative sample?

The club owns a bunch of wires, seals, and the unique stamp that marks the lead seal. (That's how you know it wasn't replaced during the race.) I don't know what they've done with outboards, but on all but the smallest ones you could seal the shift lever like they did on my boat.

For right now, all you need to do is cut/paste Section 7 back into the RR&C's (see 2010's RR&C's) and the rest will be done when the time comes. Also, there will be several long-timers at the CYC looking for something to help with. Most or all on the SSS safety committee are familiar with this . . .