Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sealed transmissions?

Bob
    I wasn't trying to needle you...just adding some memory to the discussion. Even after the shafts were sealed, I tried to sail
    out. Of course, the positioning in the Corinthian dock area sometimes made that too time consuming. I do remember getting
    stuck in the mud, nearby and required the busy tug to pull me off (but not toward the finish!). I really see no point in it, being
    as we are all "corinthian" in this endeavor. And you were absolutely correct in pointing out the "friendship" aspects of the race.
    And even when most entries had SSB, the check ins were voluntary and added greatly to the participants' enjoyment. The
    addition of the "race ruining" penalty for non-check in almost got me to quit! IT ADDS NOTHING TO SAFETY!!! That's what the
    requiered EPIRB and LIFERAFT and ROCKETS are for. In my old wooden sloop, I went to Fr Polynesia and back via HI without
    those things...safely too...I think. And 3 more passages to HI and back, to boot. Just another story. The only really safe thing
    to do is: STAY HOME. After reading the latest list of "hoops" for 2014, I'm likely to do just that....

After getting towed out in 2008, I sailed back into the CYC basin and around among the docks. The family wondered if I was having second thoughts but I was just messing around - there was a lot of time before the start. The CYC towing crew finally yelled at me so I headed back out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steevee View Post
    Please tell me this isn't true that single handed sailors cheat. Tell me they're self reliant, confident and honorable.
    -Steve Ludwig
    Singlehanded sailors don't cheat. Pathetic cowards cheat.

I'm not aware of anyone cheating other than Richard Konkolski, a Cechoslavokian 27 years ago. He actually told Hal Roth over the radio after being told he was being protested: "You'll never prove anything." Pathetic.

Singlehanded sailors are self reliant by definition. All the ones I've met have been honorable. To live an honorable life is the whole point, isn't it?

Confident? Perhaps you can judge when you get to Hanalei!

Thanks Ragnar for your response. My question was a bit dramatic to be sarcastic. I know you all would answer appropriately to those questions.
    I had no idea the sealing of engines was done. Even the person who started this thread and posed the question of sealing the engines later regretted it with their statement that they feel dirty for bringing it up and that those who cheat have to live with themselves (I'm paraphrasing here). I agree with WBChristie's latter comment.
    Anyway, Rangnar you are one of my inspirations for wanting to do this race when I saw Slacker's placing in the 2012 SHTP. Other inspirations have been Ronnie Simpson, who persevered and hand steered for days when his batteries lost power. Then there's Ruben Gabriel, who's boat was demasted, but did that stop him? No! he jury rigged it and continued on to finish. Those are the examples of single handed sailors who demonstrated seamanship, guts and honor. It is my dream to participate in this race not this year but 2016. I hope it remains true to its beginnings because that's what makes it special. I hope the RC doesn't try to make the SHTP into something it's not. It's a race of sailors who sail what they got, rely on their seamanship, have no expectations of glory (other than personal) and have no sponsors to help them reach the starting line.
    Last edited by Steevee; 01-03-2014 at 08:13 AM.

I hope it remains true to its beginnings because that's what makes it special. I hope the RC doesn't try to make the SHTP into something it's not. It's a race of sailors who sail what they got, rely on their seamanship, have no expectations of glory (other than personal) and have no sponsors to help them reach the starting line.
    Couldn't have said it better - thanks!

It's a race of sailors who sail what they got, rely on their seamanship, have no expectations of glory (other than personal) and have no sponsors to help them reach the starting line.
    Well, of course, some entrants have had sponsors. We take it all in stride.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Ken, it's getting to where you are the only SHTP vet who posts here and who knows the history going farther back - I posted what I knew.

In planning the 2010 race I tried to retain as many of the traditions as possible. I was disappointed to see some of them lost in 2012. It appears more will be lost in 2014 - it's the age we live in I guess.

I have a row of brass SHTP participant plates going down RAG's main bulkhead - two as a racer and two from being on R/C - not nearly as long a row as yours. Remember how getting the plastic one in 2004 bugged you? There will be a lot of "plastic" ones from now on - but not on my boat.
    It is apparent that the RC's plans for 2014 have been completely unmasked !
    I would like to apologize in advance for the PLASTIC nature of 2014 SHTP.

I find that most aspects of the 2012 race diverged from all prior years!

Sealing the propeller shafts has never presented any difficulty.

I know of no new who has carried the weight of an outboard. The ship them for arrival!

More. Later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewes View Post
    I know of no new who has carried the weight of an outboard. The ship them for arrival!.
    Right, and I'm sure everyone had their PHRF rating adjusted for having no engine aboard.

Right???

Interesting observation. The ratings equations don't reflect a correction for engine removal. This is a hole worth investigating.