Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The crate to Hanalei

Default The crate to Hanalei

The fleet used to ship stuff (delivery sails, outboards, dinghies and so forth.

One skipper took charge, everyone built the crate followed by pizza. It was shipped to someone ho had rented a house. A truck brought it there.

Something to think about...

Lucie

I think I can help here.
    The company I work for builds [amongst other things], trade show exhibits.
    Because of this we usually have a few "previously enjoyed" crates that are surplus at any given time.
    Conveniently enough, we are located in Alameda.

For 2012 I dug one out and had it dropped at Marina Village one afternoon about a week before the start.
    Mostly because that is where the majority of the out-of-town starters wound up.
    Everyone loaded it there and we then had my shop truck pick it up and take it to the freight forwarder the next day.
    If I recall correctly, everyone split the transport costs (ask Adrian, but I think 4 or 5 people used this).

More than happy to offer the same deal this year... would need to start figuring how many people need what kind of space at some point before the end of March (so I can keep my eyes open for an appropriately sized unit).

best,
    DAVE

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I think I can help here.
    The company I work for builds [amongst other things], trade show exhibits.
    Because of this we usually have a few "previously enjoyed" crates that are surplus at any given time.
    Conveniently enough, we are located in Alameda.

For 2012 I dug one out and had it dropped at Marina Village one afternoon about a week before the start.
    Mostly because that is where the majority of the out-of-town starters wound up.
    Everyone loaded it there and we then had my shop truck pick it up and take it to the freight forwarder the next day.
    If I recall correctly, everyone split the transport costs (ask Adrian, but I think 4 or 5 people used this).

More than happy to offer the same deal this year... would need to start figuring how many people need what kind of space at some point before the end of March (so I can keep my eyes open for an appropriately sized unit).

best,
    DAVE
    Hi Dave,

I was one of the users of that crate. Thanks for helping out with that. This sounds like a great solution, I am sure the entrants will want to take advantage of this.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Happy to help...
    as one of the entrants, I'll need some variation of this myself in any event.

We can use this thread for people to deposit space needs, and summarize at appropriate intervals...

DAVE

Thank you. I am certain I will. Take advantage of your kindness. More as I know it.

In case you're interested, here is the contact info for the people we used last time:

Hawaiian Express
    Kim Karkov

kkarkov@hawaiianexpressinc.com

Kimberly Karkov
    510-783-6100 (main)
    510-782-5794 (FAX)
    510-751-1006 (desk)

www.hawaiianexpressinc.com

/Adrian

Thanks, all.

Dave, you get the specs for what we want shipped and you find a crate(s) to handle it, all built?

Hawaii Express has done this for years, very reliable.

Lucie

Hi Lucie -
    That's the plan from my end re the crates...
    I can reach out to Hawaiian Express as well, if that makes the most sense.
    I'll call Kimberly and at least get rates and sizes sorted, since that will likely dictate the optimum crate size(s).

DH

I am hoping to put a Redcrest in the crate. It is a bag about the size of a big duffle bag.
    Thanks

Default Crate COnstruction

FYI-

I spoke with members of the Naiwiliwili YC. They are recommending that the crate be built to fit in pickup truck, maybe even a slightly smaller pickup. Also that the short dimension be the side that a fork lift can access for ease of moving over to Hanalei.