Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TBF: "Fourth" Mark?

Rob,

My understanding of the difference between a rounding mark and a passing mark.
    1. Rounding Mark - Needs to be rounded as part of the race course. When passing at other times, it can be ignored.
    2. Passing Mark - Always need to be passed the same way during the whole race, independent of where one is in the sequence of the race course.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    ^ What he said.

I didn't want it to be a restricted area, I wanted boats to be able to "unwind" if they missed it. In answer to your #4, no, you could do that.

Besides, as Sled suggests, R "2" is too far offshore to work like Castro Rocks buoy, Little Alcatraz, etc.

Last night, Paul Kamen asked if R "2" is considered a "Passing Mark" or a "Rounding Mark." I told him I didn't know - I haven't heard the term "Passing Mark" before. Does anyone know the difference?

A big factor (maybe the biggest) in the change was all the whining from 3BF skippers. They wanted the R/C to somehow "police" the Long Wharf restricted area. With my glasses on I can sorta see Blunt from the race deck but sorry, I can't see whether a Moore 24 is "over the fence" up at the Long Wharf. "Why don't you anchor a boat up there?" (My response, "Are you offering yours?") etc. Plus nobody wants to protest. A mark is easier for skippers to self-police.

At the meeting on Wednesday, I pointed out the difference between a charted, government restricted area and those restricted areas called out in our standing or race-specific Sailing Instructions. In my opinion we should keep the list of the latter as short as possible. We want the race to be fun and simple - but if we start getting calls from the constabulatory, we'll ask them for sail numbers and help them track you down. Other than that, we have a race to run.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-24-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Heads up: According to VTS, The cruise ship AURORA is Inbound to Pier 35, scheduled to dock on Saturday at 1030, all 886 feet of her. Right now nothing shows as Outbound during the race. We'll update via VHF Ch. 69 on Saturday morning.

As presented Wednesday night: The wind forecast from the highest levels - Jessa at Carl's Jr. in Alameda:

"I dunno, but I don't think there will be much wind."

I can't say I am a Sailing Rules expert by any means. But if we look at the TBF in general it doesn't really fit the way racing rules and marks were intended. No where in the SIs for TBF does it state that you must leave a mark on a port or starboard side? What rules allow you to cross the start and finish line in both directions? I think that we need to realize that the TBF is a unique race and some of the instructions are unique.
    The race committee doesn't and shouldn't have an instruction regarding legally restricted areas around the course. Finding ways to keep the infractions down at areas of high likelihood of infractions (Richmond Long Wharf) help the club out from a 'PR' perspective.
    I think Bob's solution works for the most part. Those folks who sail into the Long Wharf are breaking the law. They shouldn't do it and the Race Committee is making a reasonable attempt at a simple solution to help keep folks out of there.
    Tony B.

Quote Originally Posted by dhusselman View Post
    Rob,

My understanding of the difference between a rounding mark and a passing mark.
    1. Rounding Mark - Needs to be rounded as part of the race course. When passing at other times, it can be ignored.
    2. Passing Mark - Always need to be passed the same way during the whole race, independent of where one is in the sequence of the race course.

Another way to look at it is the 'string theory': An imaginary string left by the boat, when pulled tight must go around all 'rounding marks'. It does not need to touch a 'passing mark', but must be on the correct side of that mark. We've had this discussion in San Diego, where the course includes some marks to keep the fleet away from the main channel; if it were a rounding mark, you'd have to go buttonhook the thing, which nobody does.

I never made it that far so it was a moot point, but the way it was set up sounds ok to me.