Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Racing

Default New to Racing

Hi All,
    This is my first post here and I am interested in getting involved with SSS events.

I have an Oday 22 that I sail here in the mountains at lake New Melones. I've sailed her since 2008.
    Prior to that I sailed Sunfish and an ElToro. Last year my wife and I did and 8 day ASA course in Santa Cruz. I want to do more, her, not so much.
    She likes the quiet days on the lake, I like it when the wind picks up.

I have not done any sailboat racing and am unfamiliar with the processes. I would be happy to help in any way or crew on a DH boat to get familiar.
    I downloaded an application for a PHRF certificate and am working on that.
    I will also apply for SSS membership.

I see that events are hosted and started from different yacht clubs throughout the bay.
    Does anybody trailer sail? How does this work for you?

Any suggestions and information is appreciated.

GregA

I'm not sure I'm the right person to answer, as I'm also new to the SSS, having just done the 3BF as my first race with these folks... it was great, just no wind. But it was the most crowded starting area I've ever seen, and I've done a fair bit of racing.

Anyway, my advice would be to get as much racing experience as you can - but I'm not sure this is the best place for that. You'll have better luck finding crew spots in 'regular' races, where they generally have more people on the boats. Skippers are more likely to take an unknown newcomer when they already have a couple steady hands - put another way, I could sign you on, and switch to doublehanded, but I'd still essentially operate in my usual singlehanded mode - at least till I got to know your skill level. Another approach is to find races where you can captain your own small boat. It's much less scary to play bumper boats in lasers; you'll learn quickly and get a lot of practice.

Good luck, and keep trying; I don't know which (if any) SSS races I'll be able to enter this year, but it's a genuine offer; I'd make the switch to DH if it meant helping somebody learn [how to sail slowly].

You might look at any remaining midwinter races. BERKELEY YC does Sunday Chowder racing every Sunday. Believe Oakland YC is early in its Sunday Brunch series too.

Greg, I agree that finding a berth on a shorthanded SSS race is probably unlikely. But, as Lucie points out, there are plenty of other opportunities available in Northern California. You can download a copy of the "2014 Northern California Sailing Calendar and YRA Master Schedule" from <yra.org> or Latitude 38. If contains about 1,000 racing dates and other marine events for Northern California.

There is a listing of the "2014 Beer Can Series" beginning on page 24. These are club-sponsored races and are usually low-key events which often welcome newcomers. Many yacht clubs have crew list signups for these races and participating racers willing to take newbies out. Folsom Lake, Lake Yosemite, and Stockton Yacht Clubs are listed, for instance. Further down, the Benecia and Vallejo YCs have local races. A friendly email to the listed contact should receive a reply.

If you're trailering, these races might be a place to begin to learn with your own boat as well. Lake Tahoe has several yacht clubs with beer canners, too.

About sailing your Oday 22 on SF Bay. Trailer boats do sail on SF Bay, but not many, and usually in somewhat protected areas or during predictable mild conditions. The Oakland-Alameda Estuary and the Mare Island Strait (Vallejo) are places with public launch ramps you might investigate. The Richmond "Riviera" or Richardson Bay in Sausalito are other locales, but launching is an issue. For instance, Sausalito has a public launch ramp, but no nearby parking (Clipper YH no longer allows public launching at its ramp).

Try the yacht club crew lists, get some experience, learn how sailing on SF Bay fits your style. -- Pat

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Latitude 23 Crew List Party at GGYC on 15 March, I think. It might work. They also have a crew list area, like a personals section, on their website. Kind of like match.com, except you don't have to buy strangers drinks and dinner and then have nothing to show for it.

You can also post in our own Crew List forum section. Or rry Latitude's Crew List. Or just post on PD or SA.

Some SSS members that singlehand mainly might want crew for DHF, DHLS, etc.

Try everything, something will no doubt pan out. Bring limes, and ice.
    Last edited by pogen; 02-05-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Thank You for the replies.

I think I need to clarify.

I want to get involved in participating in the singlehanded sailing events on the bay with my own boat.
    I figure the best way to do that is to get out there and follow some other folks around.

I am looking for suggestions to best go about doing that.

My first move will be to volunteer to help the race committee during the Corinthian race. Just to see whats going on.
    I will contact the race committee and also get to the skippers meeting to introduce myself.

The crew list idea is one I have been considering.
    I am not inclined to just show up unannounced at a race and be available. It is a three plus hour drive from here.
    Not that that's a problem, I just don't want to get up that early.

Greg

Kirwan,

Thanks for the offer to DH. I would like to take you up on that at your convenience.
    I plan to be at the skippers meeting and the Corinthian to help out.
    You can also PM me at gca at goldrush dot com

Greg

(Pogs: Lat. 23 = right on!)

Greg, is it the swing or fixed keel version? Since you mention trailer-sailing I'll guess the former and I'll suggest you may have trouble working upwind in our Summer conditions. Nothing against the boat (they sold 3,000 of them) but for the Bay I'd beef up the standing rigging and attachments, and take a careful look at the blocks and their attachments. Pop rivets ain't gonna cut it. Our Bay Breeze has pulled the chainplates right through a Soverel 33's deck, and that's just one I know about personally. There have been others.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    (Pogs: Lat. 23 = right on!)

Greg, is it the swing or fixed keel version? Since you mention trailer-sailing I'll guess the former and I'll suggest you may have trouble working upwind in our Summer conditions. Nothing against the boat (they sold 3,000 of them) but for the Bay I'd beef up the standing rigging and attachments, and take a careful look at the blocks and their attachments. Pop rivets ain't gonna cut it. Our Bay Breeze has pulled the chainplates right through a Soverel 33's deck, and that's just one I know about personally. There have been others.
    Thanks Bob, it is a '75 fixed keel. The chain plates, winches, jib track, traveller, are all through bolted with backing plates. Mast and boom fittings are all bolted. Running rigging in good shape. I replace and upgrade as I see things needing attention. Of course something ALWAYS needs attention!

Yes, it's a boat!

That all sounds good. How old is the standing rigging? The rule of thumb is replace after 7 years (for wire).

I'd bone up on something like this to get the basic rules in mind:
    http://www.latitude38.com/YRASchedule/rules.html

Then study SSS's 2014 Notice of Race/Standing Sailing Instructions and the specific Sailing Instructions for the race you're entering (when made available), then go on out and give it a try. You'll be starting with one of the later divisions so you'll have plenty of boats to follow around the course.

Know what the currents are doing (they're often running faster than you can sail), wear a good lifejacket, keep hydrated and fed, pee in a bottle so you aren't leaning over the side, sail non-spinnaker if you don't have an autopilot.

When it's not fun anymore, head for the barn. If you're still having fun, head for the finish line.

It's how we all got started. Warning: It's very addictive.