Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Solas Flares

Default Cost of Solas Flares

New requirements for 2014 for offshore races include: 2 Solas red parachute; 2 solas red hand held; 1 solas orange smoke: Sold individually at West Marine = $243 before tax;

Landfall has a Passagemaker kit for $229. It includes

3 red parachute flares
    3 red hand-held flares
    2 orange hand-held smoke flares
    1 dye marker
    Waterproof storage container

Two more flares and the storage container. But wait! Haz mat cost = $65; shipping = $20 and that's all before taxes. If anyone finds a better deal, please advise here.

I don't know if they are any less expensive Jackie, but http://www.comarsf.com/ sells Pains Wessex SOLAS flares etc. Located on Fisherman's warf. (415) 673-1923. Please let us know.

Look at a website called <explosivepowersports.com> for SOLAS aerial flares. They have them for about $50 each, but you need to buy a case of 4, so it's around $198.20 plus shipping - PayPal lists shipping at $16.05. Plus California sales tax of course. They're in Escondito. I haven't used them, so this is not a guaranteed referral! Maybe a phone call? If two of you went together for 2 each for a total of 4? -- Pat

RYC has had an official, USCG-permitted flare-off on 4 of July the past 3 years.

SOLAS flares outlasted their printed expiration dates by YEARS. Other brands, not so much.

BTW EPIRB batteries do fail before their sticker dates. It is essential to check your unit often. Monthly is the recommendation.

OYRA arranged for a flare disposal/demonstration during the overnight at the Drakes Bay Race. I understand they are planning it again this year.

A couple of years ago BOAT US tested out-of-date flares and smokes. I believe that article is available on their website. They found that old smokes performed as they should, but flares not so much. SOLAS performed better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMcDonald View Post
    I don't know if they are any less expensive Jackie, but http://www.comarsf.com/ sells Pains Wessex SOLAS flares etc. Located on Fisherman's warf. (415) 673-1923. Please let us know.
    I spoke with Bruce, a salesman @ Coast Marine and Industrial Supply, located @ 398 Jefferson @ Leavenworth in SF (ends at Fisherman's Wharf). That store carries Pains Wessex brand Solas and Coast Guard approved flares for the following costs:
    Red parachutes: $28/each; Orange smoke: $29/each; Red hand helds: $9/each. The store does not carry watertight containers. It does not sell online. He was very nice.

That store is great. Worth the trip IMHO.

Thanks Jackie!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I spoke with Bruce, a salesman @ Coast Marine and Industrial Supply, located @ 398 Jefferson @ Leavenworth in SF (ends at Fisherman's Wharf). That store carries Pains Wessex brand Solas and Coast Guard approved flares for the following costs:
    Red parachutes: $28/each; Orange smoke: $29/each; Red hand helds: $9/each. The store does not carry watertight containers. It does not sell online. He was very nice.
    No commercial interest. Just PSA
    From WM previous Store manager Oakland

Bob
    I've moved to San Carlos, so Jonathan the new Manager of Oakland forwarded me your email.
    Yes West Marine still carries Solas Flares.
    They are all sold individually (available at most bay area stores)
    Solas Parachute Flares- Sku 2356020
    Handheld Solas Flare- sku 2356046
    Solas Orange Smoke- Sku 2356095

To ship them to a persons house they would have to pay HazMat shipping but to pick up at the store it would be free.
    Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers
    LAUREN

I visited Coast Marine today and because I did not have Jackie's charm, I almost got charged more, but he honored Jackie's prices (you must have left an impression). However, I got the last ones and the prices on the next shipment of flares will be about $35 for red paras and orange smoke and $12 for the red hand helds. Also, it seems there will be a change in ownership soon.

Still good prices. WM wants $73 for the smoke and $24 for the hand helds.

For $224 including tax, I met the transpac solas flare requirements (4 red para, 4 red hands, 2 orange smokes). Thanks Jackie!

BTW, WM's new matching policy is limited compared to 2 years ago when I last used it. Before, they would try to approach an internet price like Defender or Hodges, but now, they will only match within 50 miles of a Brick-n-mortar store.

JB
    Last edited by Submarino; 02-25-2014 at 11:31 PM.