Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Half Moon Bay Race

Default 2014 Half Moon Bay Race

I'm a new SSS member and do not live in the Bay Area. I was looking to sail in the HMB race this year, but I was looking for some details so I can start some planning. Where does the race start from? What are the "usual" conditions you can expect? What else do I need to know to plan for this event? Thanks.

Thanks,
    J.M. Kiel

Quote Originally Posted by JMKiel View Post
    I'm a new SSS member and do not live in the Bay Area. I was looking to sail in the HMB race this year, but I was looking for some details so I can start some planning. Where does the race start from? What are the "usual" conditions you can expect? What else do I need to know to plan for this event? Thanks.

Thanks,
    J.M. Kiel
    email me and I'll send you a copy of the Additional Sailing Instructions from 2012. The offshore equipment requirements might be different this year.
    Jacqueline.philpott@netscape.com

We used to start at Golden Gate Yacht Club. The last two years, with all the America's Cup hoohah, we've started closer to the Marin side, with the race committee either on shore or on Commodore Quanci's Cal 40. Who knows what to expect this year. First gun is usually at 0930.

Approaching the other end, be sure you go outside Colorado Reef buoy. It's not a mark of the course for the OYRA race to HMB, but it is for us. That is, unless the RC changes the SIs for this year. Then you leave G"1" off Pillar Point to port - unless you want to try surfing Maverick's - and take your own finish time at G"3".

You can call Pillar Point Harbor for an overnight berth or a mooring (there's a fee), anchor in the outer harbor, or see if there's room at HMBYC's float to raft up. You can even ask a competitor to submit your finish time for you, "turn and burn" and head right back up the coast, but then we'll call you a party pooper. Dinner and the party at HMBYC are one of the high points of the SSS season.

The conditions are usually mild - there have been two races in the last 10 years when nobody finished before the 1800 time limit - but of course this is the Pacific Ocean and there are no guarantees.

Critter
    Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if there is a launch ramp or boat lift facility in HMB to get my boat in/out of the water?

J.M.

Jackie
    No Joy in sending you an email to the address you posted. Could you forward the additional SI's to me at joseph.kiel@us.army.mil? Any info is always helpful, especially when you're traveling from out of town (Phoenix).

Thanks,
    J.M. Kiel

Quote Originally Posted by JMKiel View Post
    Critter
    Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if there is a launch ramp or boat lift facility in HMB to get my boat in/out of the water?
    J.M.
    J.M.: There is a launch ramp. More info at http://www.smharbor.com/pillarpoint/

If your boat is trailerable, I suspect it may not have all the safety equipment required for this race. Please have a look at the Nor Cal Ocean Racing Council's recommended list at http://norcalorc.org/gear .
    It's up to the individual race organizers (SSS in this case) whether to require everything on that list, and there's been some discussion whether to lighten the list for HMB. But as our rules stand
    http://sfbaysss.net/main/wp-content/...OR_and_SSI.pdf
    everything is required.

Thanks for your interest. Hope you can make it!
    Max Crittenden
    ex board member
    Last edited by Critter; 02-13-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    J.M.: There is a launch ramp. More info at http://www.smharbor.com/pillarpoint/

If your boat is trailerable, I suspect it may not have all the safety equipment required for this race. Please have a look at the Nor Cal Ocean Racing Council's recommended list at http://norcalorc.org/gear .
    It's up to the individual race organizers (SSS in this case) whether to require everything on that list, and there's been some discussion whether to lighten the list for HMB. But as our rules stand
    http://sfbaysss.net/main/wp-content/...OR_and_SSI.pdf
    everything is required.

Thanks for your interest. Hope you can make it!
    Max Crittenden
    ex board member
    I have been working with the list so I'm in good shape for that. I just need to add a masthead VHF antenna and radio and a second bucket. (Why two buckets for a singlehander??).

Thanks again for all the info.

J.M.

The second bucket is for making ice cream, after you've rounded SE Farallon and hoisted. It's what singlehanders DO . . .

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

It's a good idea to color-code one's buckets. Just sayin'.

Buckets. Get a couple of old Costco laundry soap buckets. Take off the metal handle. Get a piece of old rope about 4 feet long. Bore a hole on both sides of the Costco bucket a little larger than the rope. Put the rope through, tie a knot in each end. Bucket! And, they nest together pretty compactly.

If you desire round, same idea. Ditch the metal handle, bore holes, make rope handle.

I tie an overhand knot to create a loop in the middle of the handle in case I need to tie a lanyard onto it.

Difficult to color code plastic, so one rectangular and one round might be easier to find in the dark. Won't nest, however.

;-) Pat