Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anchoring in Hanalei Bay

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    Thanks for being a good sport Rick. I would offer to carry them, but my boat will be weighed down with ice cream, steak, frozen chicken etcetera. Also, the waterbed takes up a lot of space.
    I like your style. Except for a nagging leak that I cannot claim as a water bed, Lightspeed only has a sauna when we reach HI. I will however be looking for that half way stop Skip Allen talks about for a break from the beef Jerky & Trail Mix.

The winds in Hanalei are generally consistent, off-the-land, North Easterly trade winds during the day. However, at sunset the wind line begins a retreat offshore a mile or two. After dark, especially during a "moderate trades" regimen, local winds in Hanalei can swing South of East, even South, with drainage off Waialeale slopes.. In early morning, wind can die away altogether, especially after a squall passage, and closely anchored boats go bump.

Why noted: a Danforth type anchor (Fortress), though excellent in sand, may tend to "trip" and sometimes not readily reset at Hanalei. If you expect to use this type of anchor at Hanalei, bring sufficient chain. I've retrieved and reanchored several untended race vessels slowly dragging their Danforths around Hanalei. And pulled one out of the surf line on the Western shore.

The depths in mid-Bay are 35-40 feet, gradually shoaling to 15-20 feet. Sand bottom except directly out from the River Mouth, where it is shell. Inside 20 feet, you may be encroaching in the outrigger canoe paddling course and fair game.

Technically, the boat anchorage zone, rectangular in shape, is marked by 4 or more buoys. Practically, they're of questionable merit, promoting crowding . The 2 outside boundary buoys are regularly ignored, especially by larger craft with motorized dinghies, and those seeking more privacy.

Local beach front residents are polite. But have seen sailors come and go. Putting boat trash in the Pavilion receptacles is discouraged. When in town, I would lock my Avon Redcrest near the lifeguard tower and never had a problem. The lifeguards know the drill and if you have any questions, will offer their suggestions.

After dark when returning to your boat, if you don't fill your dinghy in the shorebreak at least once, you haven't been to Hanalei.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-21-2014 at 04:57 PM.

That's just like Steve to be off practicing while his main competition is huddled around the wood stove trying to get feeling back in his fingers

As Brian mentioned, my Achilles (LSI88) dinghy was stolen off the beach at Hanalei in 2012. This happened after about a week of leaving the raft on the beach with no problems. Initially I locked the dinghy to a tree at the top of the beach, along with others, but we were told not to do that so I left the dinghy upside down on the beach along with several others (but took my oars with me). The morning after the awards dinner I arrived at the beach about 0900 and my dinghy was gone. The WM raft it had been left next to (I think it was Adrian’s) was not disturbed. It was clear from the drag marks in the sand that the dinghy had been taken up the beach to the grass and then, presumably, to a waiting car. In fact one of the friendly vagrants in the picnic area said that earlier that morning he had seen two people carry a dinghy across the field to the parking area. I filed a police report and followed up for a month or so from Oahu, and watched Craigs List, but no luck. At least I kept the wooden oars! If anyone sees an Achilles raft with FROLIC stenciled on the sides (and a pink floated bridle) please let me know!

This summer I plan to bring a beat up no-name 7 ft inflatable dinghy that I bought and refurbished in Oahu. It rows OK and can carry groceries and jerry cans… Anyone that wants to borrow will be welcome.