Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre race moorage

Default Pre race moorage

Where are the out of area boats going to dock before the race? It would be cool if we could be close to each other. I was thinking that Marina Village would have for room for most of us. Do any of you local guys know if this would be possible?

We've gone to RYC for the last number of years and enjoyed it.

Brian, in past years the Marina Village Harbormaster made a practice of hosting Hawaii-bound racers but times have changed. New owners, new Harbormaster, new practices.

I believe RYC has room for boats like yours, and there are many transpac vets there.

Alameda hosts a huge racing community, and it's proximity to chandler use and vendors may make it a preferable venue for you.

Lucie

i staged both of my SHTP efforts out of Marina Village in Alameda ('10 and '12), as I also lived there for several years.

Yes, times have changed and the long-loved harbormaster Allan Weaver is no longer there and the ownership has changed, but I would still recommend "the village". Sandra in the office is great, as are Sean and Corey the assistant harbormasters. Several vets and current newbies are based there and the location to other vendors that support the race is great. Such as West Marine Rigging Alameda and Svendsens. The facilities at Marina Village, including docks, restrooms, parking, deli, security, etc are all top notch.

I talked with Sandra about getting moorage for a group of us. She is more than willing to help. What she would like is to have the owners let her know in May that they are coming and the boat size.
    I should be there by the end of May. Look for a red hull Capri 30. (FASTLANE)
    Barry

I have just been in contact with the harbor master at RYC and altho we stayed there in '10 and '12 there is no room for visiting boats this year as they are hosting the PacCup Village with 30 visiting boats. So I guess it will be Marina Village in Alameda for Scaramouche.

So sorry, Peter.

I suspect the Village is making life difficult at RYC.

Marina Village is a TransPac sponsor this year, too.

Lucie

Just spoke to the Marina Village and there is no room at the inn for us there either. if anyone has any other ideas I would be glad to hear them. cheers, Peter (Scaramouche)

Richmond Marina Bay is a large, public harbor that should have openings for larger boats like Scaramouche. It's certainly deep enough. The downsides are it is farther from Richmond's marine services, it's colder and windier than Richmond YC/Brickyard Cove (no protection from Angel Island), and it's not in a great part of town. The docks themselves are fairly secure but you'd probably want to use I-580 to get in and out of there at night vs. city streets.

I kept a boat there for 2-3 years and it was okay, with good Bay access.

If you don't get anywhere with them on the phone, I know a couple guys who could probably help.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-22-2014 at 04:22 PM.

Can we get a tally of boat names and sizes? The Berkeley Yacht Club guest dock is booked for that week, but the Berkeley Marina typically has a good amount of open slips. I'd be happy to ask the harbor master if she can accommodate everyone and it'd be my pleasure to entertain at the yacht club.