Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre race moorage

What about Brisbane marina? Its a little isolated but if there were a bunch of us there we could share cabs or something like that? Berkeley also sounds good...
    Brian my boat is 40 oa (Elizabeth Ann)

Out or area boats:

Elizabeth Ann, Westsail 32
    Harrier, Finn Flyer
    Jack, Capri 30
    Scaramouche V, PJ50
    Back Beat, Capri 25
    Libra, Mini 6.5(Pogo)

Did I miss anyone ?

Brisbane is fairly well shielded from the San Bruno gap winds and has lots of dock space. At super low tides the channel approach can drop to 6' of clearance. The distance from there to the RYC or Tiburon (CYC start line) is about 2nm more than from the Oakland YC. It is located about 3 miles north of SFO on the west side of the Bay. The nearest WM is approx. a mile away, the nearest diesel / gas station is about a mile away, and restaurants etc area similar distance, not unlike Richmond. A trip to ALameda requires a bridge crossing, not great at rush hour, but otherwise OK.

If there is any interest I will check with the Harbor Master and the local YC.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I'm pretty sure my marina (Grand Marina in Alameda) has slips available , especially in the 30' range. There is no nearby hotel, but it is very close to Svend's yard/chandlery, there is a boatyard (the "Boatyard at Grand Marina" ) on site, and also on site is a good sail repair loft (Marchal Sailmakers) , used gear store (Blue Pelican Marine), and a mile away is the best West Marine in the area. On site pumpout, good security, showers, laundry, cheap ice.

I am totally unfamiliar with the geography of the Bay area or the various marinas so perhaps the best thing for me to do is to let the discussion percolate a bit. I too would like to be in the same area as other participants if possible. We will probably have a rental car for the approx. two weeks we will need moorage for. If everyone agrees on a particular spot you can count me in. I should point out that it seemed that the only reason Marina Village wouldn't have Scaramouche was because she is 50' long. Smaller boats might be fine.

Alameda Marina at the dodgy end of the estuary has tons of slips available (no offense, I keep my boat there)...

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Nice map of SF Bay boating facilities: http://www.coastal.ca.gov/ccbn/SF_Ba...oating_Map.pdf

That map is a big help, thanks

We kept our boat in Berkeley for years. Since the recession, there are usually slips. It is an easier place to get into good wind if you need to shake down any last minute changes. I was thinking of going there, but would like to be with the group. Maitreya is the latest out-of-the-area boat at 47 feet overall.

Thanks,
    -jak

Hello,

I will most likely keep my boat (Libra, Mini 6.50) in Westpoint Harbor in Redwood City.
    I am living close by, so the short commute time between my home and the marina
    is the driving factor to select this place.

Nevertheless, several days before race, I would like to move my boat somewhere closer
    to the rest of SHTP participants. So I will wait for this thread to "percolate" and see where
    everyone else is going to stay.

Przemek

Ah, yes.

Barry, Kevin and Doug: the smaller boats in the fleet are dry sailed out of Alameda Marina, a short distance from Marina Village, where there is usually a large congregation of Hawaii-bound vessels. There is a marina there as well as all the marine outfits you could ever need.

Bob's suggestion of MarinaBay in Richmond is a good one for Peter, I think. Daniel's Nauticat 44' Galaxsea, is there. They do have some large slips.

Brian, Berkeley is a great suggestion too.

You can look at the Inspector Assignments file Brian emailed as I believe it lists boat types.

Lucie