Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with Corinthian race ASIs

Default Issues with Corinthian race ASIs

The Additional Race Instructions for the Corinthian Race describe two courses. I have a few questions and concerns about this change.

1. There's very little difference between the two courses: going to Pt. Stuart instead of Little Harding makes a small change in direction in the first two legs and just slightly reduces the course length. Is this worth the (minor) additional manpower required on the deck to hoist the course flag, and more significantly is it worth giving shorthanded racers another flag to spot in what will probably be a large fleet, especially when the wind may be light at the start making flags hard to see?

2. According to http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18649.shtml, the light on Pt. Stuart buoy is Fl R 2.5s, not Iso R 6s. Please check this discrepancy.

3. Getting all rules wonky, if you want to indicate the course at the Prep signal (instead of the Warning signal), the SIs are required to state that they modify RRS 27.1. I wouldn't be a stickler about this, but I thought I'd throw it in along with my other remarks.

Thanks to the RC for putting this race on and for considering these comments.
    Max

Allen Cooper and Paul Disario are the new R/C co-chairs. I don't know if either of them read this Forum so you might try them via e-mail.

Thanks Bob. Done.

I agree with Max about getting things right signal and mark description wise. It used to be the Society could get away with blundering through, but lately it seems there's more competition, especially "Season Champion" competition, that brings out the sea lawyers more than in the past.

I don't know about the two courses. There's always just been one so far as I can remember, except for a period when it wasn't the "Corinthian" race. I do like the idea of using Pt. Stuart instead of Little Harding for the first mark. That's almost the way the original course was set up. It used the now departed Pt. Knox Buoy as the first mark. Subbing the Pt. Stuart Buoy is, I think, a great idea. -- Pat

Just my two cents…Lightspeed just had the good fortune to win the Berkeley Midwinters Sat series with 17 possible courses at the 5 min flag. With the Corinthian only having two courses, at first, it seems like a gift..... However, in buoy racing (and with a crew of 12) the reason for the 17 options is to give the race committee the flexibility on race day to pick a good up and down wind racing course, and the flexibility of a long or short course for the conditions....In SSS, and any point to point racing I see a totally different scenario. I can see the need for two different course options for safety, time, and the conditions. The two options gives the SSS race committee that flexibility, however it only works if the second course is dramatically different, i.e. drop a mark (or two) to shorten and/or reverse the course for wind & current conditions…..I am racing either way and can’t thank the race committee enough for their work so and again just my two cents…Rick/Lightspeed

I don't get the two course option. What is the point in fixing something that isn't broken..... the Corinthian Race has been fine as is. If your going to have an alternative course it should be at least significantly different from the other not a slight change to a single mark change. Goes against the decades of the SSS using a single course for each race.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    I don't get the two course option. What is the point in fixing something that isn't broken..... the Corinthian Race has been fine as is. If your going to have an alternative course it should be at least significantly different from the other not a slight change to a single mark change. Goes against the decades of the SSS using a single course for each race.
    +1 for the KISS approach, no need for alternate courses unless it is an alternate in-the-Bay course on an ocean race, and you want to give an option if the wx outside the Gate is horrific. Also, I never can see the flags even under the most favorable conditions!

Gee, I'm already missing being the R/C chair . . . NOT!

The R/C can announce the course several times on the radio vs. only with a flag. The a.m. flood could be a problem for getting you guys out of the Corinthian "hole." I haven't looked at the two course options but I know they talked it over a fair bit.

SSS skippers are known for their flexibility and resourcefulness - I'd say give it a try and if it doesn't work out, the R/C will learn from it and move on.

Okay, back to my "retired" status.

Wow! It's been a long time since I've raced!

My how the course instructions have changed.

Ben and I were married following our completion of the Corinthian Race in 2004. It had been held in June breezes then. We finished with ample time to clean up before the ceremony.

Lucie

Here are some thoughts from your Corinthian Race PRO. As of Monday morning SailFlow is predicting Southerly wind around 13 knots at race start time. If that's the wind Saturday morning, expect the Little Harding course since you'd have to sail almost there anyway before tacking over for Blossom. I'd like a report from a boat or two coming over from Berkeley or Alameda about what wind they're experiencing since the CYC location is pretty much cut off from the real wind world. When you check in, you can add a brief word or two about the wind, okay?

The Race Committee will be on station at 1000. There are a lot of boats coming, so be patient and take your turn when checking in.

Thanks, Pat Broderick, PRO