Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety at Sea Seminars

Default Safety at Sea Seminars

I have yet to take the required Safety at Sea Seminar - any chance that I can still do so in time for the Farallones race? If so, anybody know where and when?

That may be tough.
    It looks like the ISAF ones at SFYC just finished in Feb, and the Pac Cup one is scheduled for May 18, the day after SH Farallones.

Do it at the boat show. It even includes your tickets! Keep checking the seminar list - it should appear soon. The e-mail I received today said it would be on Sunday, April 13th at 0900:

US Sailing 4-hour Coastal Safety at Sea Course
    Moderated by Chuck Hawley, Chairman of the US Sailing Safety at Sea Committee

Cost: $65. US Sailing members receive a $10 discount.
    Includes two days admission to the show. Seating is limited.
    Register online at www.strictlysailpacific.com/seminars.

In support of coastal races and cruising, US Sailing now offers Coastal Safety at Sea Seminars. The new half-day seminars
    are for skippers and crewmembers who participate in coastal or nearshore races or passages, and are designed to
    help them understand the latest safety practices and ensure that they are familiar with the gear necessary to be safe.
    The curriculum is derived from the one-day and two-day seminars offered by US Sailing. Core topics include:
    • Emergency Communications Equipment and Techniques.
    • Personal Safety Gear (life jackets, harnesses, tethers, and personal electronics).
    • Crew Overboard Prevention and Recovery.
    • Search and Rescue Procedures.
    • Additional topics will be added based on local waters and needs.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-03-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks, Bob.

What a deal. Boat Show + required seminar only $65. And exactly the necessary topics for coastal sailing.

Lucie

Rumor has it there's another half-day SAS coming right up at Santa Cruz YC, March 16. It's not on the US Sailing calendar yet, but Commodore Q should have confirmation in the next few days.

For anyone who may have missed the Commodore's email, here's the word on SAS seminars. Thanks Jim!

Get Ready for Shorthanded Sailing in the Ocean – Next Coastal SAS class scheduled for just over one week from today - Sunday March 16

New this year, the 4 hour “Coastal” Safety At Sea (CSAS) training class is required for 30% of crew (that’s “all of you if single handed and one of you if doublehanded") to participate in SSS (and OYRA) sponsored Ocean Races. In addition, SSS increased the number of ocean races this season from 2 to 4 by the addition of Drakes Bay “to and fro”. If you have already received SAS training in the last 4 years – wonderful and you are “all set”. If not, now is a great time to get your CSAS SAS training out of the way early – or if you want to just be safer sailing in the ocean. Note the 8 hours “Offshore” SAS training class is required by the Spinnaker Cup and the PacCup – and also covers the SAS training requirement for SSS ocean races.

March 16, Sunday
    Coastal SAS (SSS, OYRA, etc)
    9:00 – 2:00 PM
    Santa Cruz Yacht Club in Santa Cruz
    $45 per person (includes lunch)
    Register by calling or emailing Santa Cruz Yacht Club greg@scyc.org or 831.425.0690
    Note: There is space for just ten more people in this class – so don’t procrastinate!

April 13, Sunday
    Coastal SAS (SSS, OYRA, etc)
    9:00 – 1:00 PM
    At the Strictly Sail boat show at Jack London Square in Oakland
    $65 per person (includes 2 day boat show pass)
    Find details at http://norcalorc.org/events

May 18, Sunday
    Ocean SAS (PacCup, Spinnaker Cup, Transpac, SSS, OYRA, etc)
    8:00 – 5:00PM
    Encinal Yacht Club in Alameda
    Find details at http://norcalorc.org/events

We hope to see you there - and be safe!

Has anyone else signed up for the April 13 Coastal SAS seminar at Strictly Sail?

Seems the info from norcalorc and Latitude 38 regarding a two day boat show pass is incorrect.

I signed up and only received a pass for the day of the seminar, which is essentially a half day pass for Sunday.

Not sniveling, just wondering if I missed a step. The links all take me to the Strictly Sail website.

See you there.

I signed up for it and it only gave me the one-day pass, as well. Don't know who's wrong, but I haven't inquired about it either.

See you there.

Carliane

So whats the eval of the SAS?

From the standpoint of a newbie, I enjoyed the class and came away with good information.
    There was a lot packed into 4 hours. Probably seemed like review to some people, but I think safety cannot be reinforced enough.