Thread: 2012 SHTP Video from Idefix - Tour of the Boat

Default 2012 SHTP Video from Idefix - Tour of the Boat

I'm finally getting around to cutting some of my footage from the big pacific trip last year, and I thought I'd post this one up first, since it might be helpful to 2014 SHTP entries. I was getting bored in the light winds and thought I'd give the camera a tour of the boat.

http://vimeo.com/88271107

Enjoy.
    Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Very enjoyable. Did you have an AIS transmitter on board?

JB

Nice vid. Always helpful to me to get a visual on how other people have prepped their boats. Thanks!

-Steve Ludwig

Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
    Thanks Adrian. Very enjoyable. Did you have an AIS transmitter on board?

JB
    Yes, an em-trak B100, mounted behind the radio panel. You can get them for $200 now. I had it on silent mode most of the day, but put it on transmit at night and when I was below deck.

If someone can find a source for an em-trak B100 for $200 I'd love to see that. The R-100 (receive only) can be found for about $200 but the B-100 still seems to run about $500. For another $200 (about $750) you can get the Vesper Marine XB 8000 and have wifi on the boat. I'd love to have class B onboard (rather than the receive only that I currently have) but it's still a pretty expensive item.

That was a nice video, Adrian, fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    If someone can find a source for an em-trak B100 for $200 I'd love to see that. The R-100 (receive only) can be found for about $200 but the B-100 still seems to run about $500. For another $200 (about $750) you can get the Vesper Marine XB 8000 and have wifi on the boat. I'd love to have class B onboard (rather than the receive only that I currently have) but it's still a pretty expensive item.

That was a nice video, Adrian, fun to watch.
    You're right. I was mistaken. I did manage to get mine through Port Supply for a little over $300, but it was through a commercial account.

Hi John,

Thank you for the details - just curious how does this compare (functionally) to the GX2200 - Standard Horizon? This seems like the best "all-in one" package, but I am often guilty of missing things.

Thanks!

bizirka,

The SH integrated AIS/VHF radios are receive only where AIS is concerned. This means that they will show you where the shipping traffic (and any other vessel equipped with an AIS transponder) is located. But you will not appear on the ship's AIS screen. Class B AIS does both receive and transmit of AIS signals and this will indicate your boat's position to other AIS equipped vessels within range. The bottom line is if you have Class B you will show up on the screen of other vessels AIS receivers where if you have a passive, receive only AIS unit like the SH Matrix series you will be able to see the relative location of other vessels with AIS transmit capability but you WILL NOT appear on their AIS displays.

Unfortunately the Class B transponders are still pretty dear at about $500, plus the cost of an antenna splitter or a second antenna and who knows what else to complete the installation.

Also, the GX 2000 is a few years old now, at best. SH currently has a flavor with built in GPS, so you don't even have to connect a GPS to the radio. But it is still a receive only unit where AIS is concerned.