After the 2010 SHTP, I re-ran the results using NorCal PHRF's then-new Downwind Ratings instead of the SHTP Ratings we use (which are the old PCR's). Sometime I'll try that with this year's results to see how much difference it would make - or maybe Brian can do it.

It used to be that if you didn't list any spinnaker dimensions on your rating application, your DW rating would be the same as your regular PHRF rating. This could be a big advantage since DW ratings are on average 30 sec/mile faster than regular ratings. I figured I could not declare a spinnaker, use the biggest twins possible and clean up on corrected time. That loophole may have gone away by now (or it will after the PHRF guys read this).

I busted enough autopilot parts in the 2008 race that I had to sail through the best part of the trades (and finish) without a spinnaker. My opinion that "racing the SHTP non-spinnaker is boring" is based on that experience. However, it's MUCH easier to fly a spinnaker on my boat than it is on yours.

And yes, pissing and moaning about ratings is a well-developed occupation - I've done my share of it.