Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hull Numbers

I'm in for the numbers. I think it gives a message of serious intent to others who see us and, in small measure, to me at bit also.

Quick bit 'o history on the hull numbers. When you're SHTP race chair (or co-chair) and "get" to edit/update the RR&C's, you always get flak from the participants. 'Twas no different in 2010, so I was determined that if I added any requirements I would remove an equivalent number of them. I think it was the AIS receiver we added and the hull numbers were the self-imposed deletion.

So by all means, if you want to do hull numbers, have at it. Just be prepared for someone to gripe about it if you make it a requirement.

I reserve #18 for 2016:

Last edited by BobJ; 04-07-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks Bob, makes sense, and I do sleep much better with the AIS on. Great picture by the way. Lightspeed would like to place #39 on her bow if it is not taken and OK with the RC.

One year the R/C shook down the fleet for $100 each if you wanted an "early reservation" of your hull number. Hull numbers were quite the badge of honor back then.

(Jackie will laugh but...) I peeled them off immediately after the race. I was worried they would leave a shadow/outline on Rags' dark blue hull.

For those who want numbers for their boat check with a sail maker for the numbers that they use on one design fleet racing. Those numbers have a low adhesive backing for easy removal.