Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 Guadalupe Island Race

Default How to Round Guadalupe Island - a tutorial

Name:  Guadalupe.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  6.0 KBhttp://soloslacker.wordpress.com/201...land/#comments

Here’s how to round Guadalupe Island:
    - Make sure to run out of wind as you approach. For best results, keep your spinnaker up to ensure you get a wrap. In the event you have a spinnaker net, get it tangled and take 47 minutes to cut it loose.
    - Take your spinnaker down 10 miles early you don’t want to miss the sights while you drift downwind with your jib as you pretend to race.
    - When rounding the Southern end, drift aimlessly for 6 hours in no wind to let everyone catch up.
    - When the wind fills in, make sure it’s at least 35 knots. No one wants to go upwind with more than a storm jib.

Slacker sought shelter today at the North end of the island to wait for the weather to improve. All OK aboard Slacker, just more than I and my boat wanted to deal with today. Actually really nice here. Will post photos soon.

S/V Slacker via Iridium Sat.

Welcome back Slack!

Thanks Bob! I have rather pleasant memories of the race. Lots of albatross, dolphin, a lurking sunfish and my first anchoring at Guadalupe Island.

It appeared the anchorage was a bit slippery. The Pos'n reporting showed you going in circles.

My Fortress had a tough time with the rocky bottom there. Drifted off twice in the gusty winds. The anchor alarm was busy.