Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New "Xpression"

Default New "Xpression"

So after looking at many boats I decided to still go for a "compromise". Originally I was looking at J90, J92, J105, Synergy 1000, 1D35, etc. However my wife and kids told me that they would not do the overnights we like to do at Angel Island and other locations. So I decided to go for the Beneteau First 30 JK. I was lucky as there was a local dealer demo from 2011 that has very little use and is in new condition.
    I was intrigued by this project from the start and followed progress in Europe, Australia, and in S California where the NAOS guys raced the First 30 double handed in the Pac Cup. The boat is a little heavy for it's size but still a lot of fun. There is a great interior for cruising and there is a challenge to make the boat go (which I like).

So I hope to see you all out there very soon. Let the fun begin!

btw the boat name will not be Xpression... we are still working on the name.
    Name:  F30_2s.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  43.1 KBName:  F30_1s.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  56.5 KB*
    Dirk
    Last edited by dhusselman; 03-18-2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: fix pictures

Congrats Dirk!. Lightspeed raced against a 10r in the 2012 PacCup and she was fast. Is yours basically the same boat with a real interior? Rick

Hi Rick,

The First 30 is smaller and a complete different design with a wide stern and twin rudders. It does have a real interior..

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Sweet boat. What was your motivation in downsizing? Sorry for not remembering the story. I have more boat than I strictly need myself these days.

My main reason was to go to a tiller boat. The way Xpression was configured with a wheel was killing my knees (torque) and be stuck behind the wheel not be able to grab a line quickly (outhaul, vang, cunningham, barber, etc).

I considered to change to tiller but the boat was never designed with tiller in mind. it would change the boat too much.
    Also initially I wanted something more sports boat but came back from that decision to keep the family interested in sailing with me.

I bought Xpression in 2000 and has been a great boat. After 13 years it's nice to have something different to sail on...

Interesting is that the family feels that this boat doesn't feel smaller, there is a nice interior, sleeps 6 (vs 5 on Xpression) and large cockpit storage (no cockpit storage on Xpression).

Later this season I will be able to tell if it was the right choice...

Dirk

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

My Olson 34 was originally built with a wheel but the original owner had it converted to tiller before he bought it from the yard. I much prefer the tiller myself. My traveller/mainsheet spans the the front of the cockpit and I'm pretty spoiled by having all within reach.

Have fun!

Dirk, welcome back to the SH 108 crowd. Looking forward to racing with Tijd. Not a name I recognize, will you share?

looks like a pretty nice choice of ride.

Full name is Tijdverdrijf it means a pleasant way to spent time. It's also a name of one of the old Dutch clipper ships.
    Using the full name will be hard to use during communications so I decided to use "Tijd" which means time.

It's a fun boat and the first race was not bad. I can't wait to do the single handed Farallones!

Rick sorry to see you drop out of the race. I hope to see you next race.

Dirk
    Beneteau First 30 - Tijd

Quote Originally Posted by dhusselman View Post
    Full name is Tijdverdrijf it means a pleasant way to spent time. It's also a name of one of the old Dutch clipper ships.
    Using the full name will be hard to use during communications so I decided to use "Tijd" which means time.

It's a fun boat and the first race was not bad. I can't wait to do the single handed Farallones!

Rick sorry to see you drop out of the race. I hope to see you next race.

Dirk
    Beneteau First 30 - Tijd
    Have you no mercy for the poor folks that will try to pronounce your boat name at the trophy meetings? Better stick to sail numbers at checkins as well
    Anyways, good to see you out on the water again.