Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Single Person Life Raft

I prefer this model:

http://www.survitecgroup.com/product...-seat-liferaft

Hmm. Does Sal rent 2person rafts? Because 1person swimming around alone in a 4 person raft can't be good!

Quote Originally Posted by standardhuman View Post
    Waawaawaaaaa. Looks like I'll have to be safer...and heavier. It does have an inflatable floor option which should help insulate and perhaps make it a reasonable piece of oh-shit-kit for coastal and near coastal ops.
    I agree, I am considering one along with my wet suit, as a coastal precautionary move.

I'm curious what sort of rafts people are going with?? What is the most cost effective (i.e. cheapest raft) you all have found that fits the requirements? Being one of the most costly items on a SHTP prep list…and given the unique situation of not being fully crewed but solo….what constitutes an appropriate liferaft for the sole purpose of a SHTP? Unless I have overlooked the fine print...the Transpac 2014 RRC makes no mention of the raft requiring both a primary tube as well as a second back up tube…It simply states "A life raft designed specifically for saving life at sea"….Any scenario of having to get into one of these is far from ideal…but I would also agree with the Mewes crew that 1 person swimming around alone in a 4 or 6 person raft doesn't make a ton of sense for our unique solo situation…Any thoughts?

I have what amounts to a 4 man British raft (they call it a 5 man). When all is said and done, I believe it is a good size, in
    in that my overboard bag is quite large and heavy. Then, in the event calling for raft use, assuming time is available, I would
    also want stow some other items like my bag containing money, passport, sat fone, solar charger...At that stage of the game
    I'd hate to be faced with decisions abot what NOT TO THROW IN! My raft is only single tube and weighs 33 lbs. Meets all of
    the SHTP requirements. I do not thing anyof us really need a massive and weighty raft like I carried on the first 2 races I did.
    88lb Viking raft. Why did I have such a formidable raft? Because the race committee would not specify what was needed. And
    since I was a local, and novice SHTP'er, I have to do the procurement before sailing my boat up to San Fran for the race. After
    that, I used a parachute seat pack raft, as had been used by a girl in a Moore 24 in the '86 race. That got the race committee
    to be a little more specific..."have a self erecting canopy"/
    With the 406 EPIRB, we should be picked up in a very few days. Eddie Rickenbacker and some crew members
    survived 33 days in a flimsy aircraft raft during WWII in the Pacific (A great book, BTW..."The Raft")