Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Person Life Raft

Wow….. doesn't weigh anything. I'd love to hear if it's approved too.

Hi,

Here are the ISAF rules for Cat 1 races. Could one of you ask Switlik about their compliance with SOLAS LSA code 1997 Chapter IV regarding quality of construction ?

Even more specific, does Switlik comply with the ISAF guidance on life raft construction and equipment: http://www.sailing.org/tools/documen...5B11750%5D.pdf ?

There are some exceptions in that doc. that could be taken for a solo adventure but largely it would seem you would want general compliance.

4.20.1 Liferaft Construction and Packed Equipment
    4.20.2 Liferaft(s) shall be provided capable of carrying the whole crew when each
    liferaft shall comply with either:-
    MoMu1,2
    a) Liferafts shall comply with SOLAS LSA code 1997 Chapter IV or later version
    except that they are acceptable with a capacity of 4 persons and may be
    packed in a valise. A SOLAS liferaft shall contain at least a SOLAS "A" pack or
    Extract File
    MoMu1,2
    b) for liferafts manufactured prior to January 2003, OSR Appendix A part I (ORC),
    or
    MoMu1,2
    c) OSR Appendix A part II (ISAF) when, unless otherwise specified by a race
    organizer, the floor shall include thermal insulation, or
    MoMu1,2
    d) ISO 9650 Part I Type I Group A (ISO) when each liferaft shall contain at least
    a Pack 2 (<24h) and-
    MoMu1,2
    i shall have a semi-rigid boarding ramp, and MoMu1,2
    ii shall be so arranged that any high-pressure hose shall not impede the
    boarding process, and
    MoMu1,2
    iii shall have a topping-up means provided for any inflatable boarding ramp, and MoMu1,2
    iv when the liferaft is designed with a single ballast pocket this shall be accepted
    provided the liferaft otherwise complies with ISO 9650 and meets a suitable
    test of ballast pocket strength devised by the manufacturer and
    MoMu1,2
    v compliance with OSR 4.20.2 (d) i-iv shall be indicated on the liferaft certificate
    Last edited by brianb; 03-25-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    4.20.1 Liferaft Construction and Packed Equipment
    4.20.2 Liferaft(s) shall be provided capable of carrying the whole crew when each
    liferaft shall comply with either:-
    MoMu1,2
    a) Liferafts shall comply with SOLAS LSA code 1997 Chapter IV or later version
    except that they are acceptable with a capacity of 4 persons and may be
    packed in a valise. A SOLAS liferaft shall contain at least a SOLAS "A" pack or
    Extract File
    MoMu1,2
    b) for liferafts manufactured prior to January 2003, OSR Appendix A part I (ORC),
    or
    MoMu1,2
    c) OSR Appendix A part II (ISAF) when, unless otherwise specified by a race
    organizer, the floor shall include thermal insulation, or
    MoMu1,2
    d) ISO 9650 Part I Type I Group A (ISO) when each liferaft shall contain at least
    a Pack 2 (<24h) and-
    MoMu1,2
    i shall have a semi-rigid boarding ramp, and MoMu1,2
    ii shall be so arranged that any high-pressure hose shall not impede the
    boarding process, and
    MoMu1,2
    iii shall have a topping-up means provided for any inflatable boarding ramp, and MoMu1,2
    iv when the liferaft is designed with a single ballast pocket this shall be accepted
    provided the liferaft otherwise complies with ISO 9650 and meets a suitable
    test of ballast pocket strength devised by the manufacturer and
    MoMu1,2
    v compliance with OSR 4.20.2 (d) i-iv shall be indicated on the liferaft certificate
    So my Coleman raft is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Mine too:

Attachment 556

Default Coleman Raft

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post

It doesn't appear to cut it, but BobJ's raft has a MOB Pole with flag, deserving consideration.

Greg Nelsen has followed up with Switlik regarding the use of this raft. In addition to his analysis, the raft is not ISAF compliant. It certainly is a light weight design. Below is his report:

-------------------- From Greg ---------------------------------------------------

Did some research on the ISPLR and didn't find all the answers I wanted so I contact Brian Kender @ Switlik, the Marine Products manager. He answered a few questions I had and stressed that they only recommend this raft for aviation use. As much as I wanted to have to product fit the needs of the racers I wouldn't recommend it for several reasons:

• Most of the stability comes from your body sitting below the water line.
    • Sitting below the waterline will ensure your body heat is transferred rapidly to the surrounding water = hypothermia much quicker.
    • No space for a decent size ditch bag and/or supplies = no possible extended stay in the raft if a EPIRB signal doesn't go out due to a malfunction, etc.
    • No room to move around if an extended stay happens.
    • The big red flag was that it's a single tube. No 2nd tube like an offshore raft, no inner safety tube (even their basic single tube coastal raft has an inner backup tube).

Cheer, Greg

Waawaawaaaaa. Looks like I'll have to be safer...and heavier. It does have an inflatable floor option which should help insulate and perhaps make it a reasonable piece of oh-shit-kit for coastal and near coastal ops.

Yeah, even my pirate raft has two tubes. Sheeesh!

I might still get one (with the inflatable floor) because I'm not all that concerned about racing rules. If we ever get the solo Tahiti race together there won't be any, and renting a raft won't make sense for the whole Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I'm not all that concerned about racing rules. If we ever get the solo Tahiti race together there won't be any, and renting a raft won't make sense for the whole Summer.
    A solo Tahiti race w no rules. That is old school.

Damn straight.