Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hull Numbers

Default Hull Numbers

Does any one know the size of the race numbers that go on the hull?
    Barry

Barry,

In 2010 this requirement was eliminated from the RRCs.

Its original intent was to provide easier hull identification from afar. A search of RRCs from the TransPac Archives found in the About The Race page describes the size.

Some TransPac vets have their distinctive hull numbers sometimes different from their sail numbers, still clearly visible on their bows. A signature of pride.

When an entry carries a send-receive AIS not only can your friends and family track you without Spot, DeLorme or Yellow Brick, but other ships can also watch your progress.

Ihe send/receive AIS has proven valuable to some ocean-sailing singlehanders.

Lucie Mewes

Thanks,
    Interesting, I would think that having numbers would be good PR for the singlehanded Sailing Society. Also having them when in Hanalei Bay would makes our boats different from the cruisers and local islands boats. I like being a single hander and being a bit different so there will be numbers on my boat.

If you want to be different Barry, I think roman numerals would be rad. I always love seeing photos of wild Oats XI (100 footer that wins Sydney - Hobart a lot). The XI looks way cool on the bow.

Quote Originally Posted by barry 1987 View Post
    Thanks,
    Interesting, I would think that having numbers would be good PR for the singlehanded Sailing Society. Also having them when in Hanalei Bay would makes our boats different from the cruisers and local islands boats. I like being a single hander and being a bit different so there will be numbers on my boat.
    The Corinthian Yacht club purchased my old Cal 20 and renamed her Jeanne. At the start of yesterday's SSS Corinthian race (which was postponed so the Cal 20s could race each other) I watched little Jeanne sail by. She looked great: new hardware, clean hull, and BIG NUMBERS on her tiny hull. The OCSC sailboats have numbers, too. Easy to identify school boats.

I'm sensing interest in putting hull numbers on entries, and it makes me happy.

I like the ease of knowing which boat one is looking at.

So, I'll go back to my list of "duplicate numbers requested" and email all you entered.

I believe these can be added to the racers page too.

Lucie

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    The Corinthian Yacht club purchased my old Cal 20 and renamed her Jeanne. At the start of yesterday's SSS Corinthian race (which was postponed so the Cal 20s could race each other) I watched little Jeanne sail by. She looked great: new hardware, clean hull, and BIG NUMBERS on her tiny hull. The OCSC sailboats have numbers, too. Easy to identify school boats.
    And avoid them! I sailed at OCSC and when things were heating up in the spinnaker class heard "Hey, why not, not my boat!".

Quote Originally Posted by Mewes View Post
    I'm sensing interest in putting hull numbers on entries, and it makes me happy.

I like the ease of knowing which boat one is looking at.

So, I'll go back to my list of "duplicate numbers requested" and email all you entered.

I believe these can be added to the racers page too.

Lucie

Um, this will be voluntary right?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMcDonald View Post
    And avoid them! I sailed at OCSC and when things were heating up in the spinnaker class heard "Hey, why not, not my boat!".
    Perhaps hull numbers would warn container ships off.

Call me old fashioned but after waiting 10 years to do this race due to family and business commitments, the two traditions I admired about prior races was the hull numbers and the belt buckle....Rick/Lightspeed