Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Person Life Raft

Default Single Person Life Raft

Switlik makes the Inflatable Single Person Life Raft. Costs less than $1K and weighs about 6lbs. If it includes a repair kit with inflation pump (the oral inflation tubes may be sufficient given the small volume), it may meet the RRC. Not ideal for cold water, but perhaps an interesting idea if you prefer not to carry a traditional life raft and have a cold water exposure suit in your ditch bag anyway.

http://www.switlik.com/aviation/isplr

Once upon a time, I had a one-man life raft which had been part of an aviation parachue seat pack. (you bail out over water and, voila: flotation!). I had it modified to include a canopy. SSS SHTP ultimately caused this raft to become history (same had been used in 1986 by a lady in a red Moore 24) when it was made a raft requirement that the canopy be self-erecting. OK, so much for that. Is the Switlik raft of which you speak in compliance? Light weight is good. But so is compliance.

I just heard back from Switlik. It does not include a repair kit, but that doesn't mean one could not be added to the package along with a pump if the RC so requires. This raft is designed to be inflated orally once the cartridges have fired, so perhaps lungs may be considered a pump for this device.

Otherwise, it would appear to meet the requirements.

4.47 A life raft designed specifically for saving life at sea, that will remain afloat and support
    the skipper even when filled with water. The life raft shall include a canopy or cover which
    automatically sets in place when the liferaft is inflated. The cover shall be capable of
    protecting the occupant against injury from exposure and shall be a highly visible color.
    [b] The life raft shall contain the following minimum equipment:
    [1] Sea anchor.
    [2] Repair kit with inflation pump

I purchased that raft last year. I approached the Committee Chair as to whether it was legal. They looked over the information online and by email approved it for the race. I am currently under the assumption that my life raft requirement is meet by this raft. It is really small!. As a matter of fact the raft resides INSIDE my ditch bag currently. It is small enough that they have a belt mount to wear if you so choose. It is also sealed in plastic so it needs to be serviced less often.
    Doug Paine

An interesting point was made at the SAS seminar I attended at SFYC. A raft is only stable when inhabited by the number of people it was designed to inhabit. If you have to get in your rented four man liferaft on a SHTP, bring lots of stuff.

Very interesting info, both of you. Here is a little more info from Switlik regarding service intervals and costs.

...servicing intervals vary with each model. Our Soft pack is 1 year, Belt pack is 3 years and Hermetically Sealed version is 5 years from date of manufacture.

Depending on the model -servicing prices starts at $85.00 plus bags and any parts or repairs needed. If you would like to send in for service please contact us and we will give you a returned goods authorization.
    They recommend only servicing through Switlik.

I still would like to know if the little Switlik raft you have cited has a "self erecting canopy". If it does, I may want one.

It sure looks like it Ken.

I'm also watching with great interest. It won't do me any good for Pacific Cup this year - they're still using OSR Cat. 1 which requires the liferafts be certified by some agency - but for the next SHTP, or a solo Tahiti race, it could be the answer.

It looks like the source of a serious case of boat butt, but a regular raft doesn't keep your butt dry either. We were just in the water flipping over an eight man raft and climbing in - 'twas a bit damp in there.

Having participated in several "life raft drills" I would point out that a person's "space" in a liferaft is about 2' X 2', so I wonder how much space there is in a one-person raft nowadays. I've always been of the opinion that "one size" up would make for more comfortable liferafting.

When I was young, right after WWII, we had an surplus Lister tank my father cut down that we used as a swimming pool (11" in diameter) and we also had a fighter pilot's liferaft to use as a float. I remember it as being okay for a 6 and 4 year old to sit in with our feet dangling over the tube. I hope they've improved since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I still would like to know if the little Switlik raft you have cited has a "self erecting canopy". If it does, I may want one.
    It certainly appears that it does and I've posed this question the Switlik. Will let you know what comes back. I've also asked about the difference between the model w/ floor (+$200) and w/o floor.