Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii to Washington

Default Hawaii to Washington

Has anyone sailed to the Pacific Northwest after Hawaii? I would love to discuss how this changes navigation of the High relative to sailing to SF or LA.

Thanks,
    Brian

North until the butter gets hard, then east.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Paul Elliott did this on VALIS did this after the 2012 PAC cup

You might want to check with the Vic-Maui Race folks up in Washington. I assume most of their boats sail back to up that way after the race.

I was kidding of course (above) I've done the trip about 7 or 8 times. You could email me with any questions or we could risk boring everyone on the forum, your choice pheiberg@yahoo.com

I've read the whole thread so far, so please stay here.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by peter00 View Post
    I was kidding of course (above) I've done the trip about 7 or 8 times. You could email me with any questions or we could risk boring everyone on the forum, your choice pheiberg@yahoo.com

Peter is the Man, a life time in those waters.

Brian,
    Plenty of Hawaii racers head up to Seattle or beyond after finishing. It's not that uncommon. Jeanne Socrates sailed on to Sitka, Jim Fair to Puget Sound, etc. Most hard-core might have been Andy Evans whose Olson 30 was delivered to Victoria on her bottom.

As Thumper says, please keep your questions here if you don't mind.

Lucie

I hope to do that trip next time and spend a month or so cruising around up there and doing the Northern Century race. Yes, Rich and Edie sailed Andy's boat back in 2006 and had some issues (broken boom, etc.)

I'd expect the navigational issues to be similar to returning to SF - tracking the position and movement of the EPac High, and how much fuel you take determining how deep you want to cut through it to shorten the distance. Also, it tends to be light on the approach and Strait of JdF that time of year, so you'd want to keep more fuel in reserve for the end of the trip. Rich and Edie made the trip without an engine but as I recall it took a LONG time.

I'm anxious to hear more details from the experts.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-26-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Great tips Bob. I'm listening with great curiosity. Perhaps Peter might expand on cutting through vs. sailing around.
    Last edited by standardhuman; 03-26-2014 at 06:07 PM.