Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Rudder for Dura Mater

Default Replacement Rudder for Dura Mater

Okay, Pat and Mad Max have me nervous now about sailing outside the gate without having looked closely @ Dura Mater's rudder post. Which, of course, requires several hundred dollars just to lift and look. Sigh. At least I'm not worried (well, not much) about her mast falling down. Like Ronnie's boat. Sorry to hear about that, you boat breaker, you. I called Foss Rudders in Newport Beach and received back the following drawing and a price of $1100 for a new rudder/post. I would appreciate feedback about the options. Dura Mater has the old style rudder, the one drawn with dotted lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Okay, Pat and Mad Max have me nervous now about sailing outside the gate without having looked closely @ Dura Mater's rudder post. Which, of course, requires several hundred dollars just to lift and look. Sigh. At least I'm not worried (well, not much) about her mast falling down. Like Ronnie's boat. Sorry to hear about that, you boat breaker, you. I called Foss Rudders in Newport Beach and received back the following drawing and a price of $1100 for a new rudder/post. I would appreciate feedback about the options. Dura Mater has the old style rudder, the one drawn with dotted lines.
    That seems like a pretty good price, esp. if carbon is involved.

Jackie - I'm assuming you're following Ronnie's blog (no? why not?!) and already read about his Foss rudder upgrade, but if not:
    http://www.openbluehorizon.com/index...go-re-fit.html

He had some fit issues, so you might need to prepare for a lift and look, lift and install, lift and remove, lift and re-install....<sigh> the joys of ownership.
    Last edited by Lanikai; 04-04-2014 at 03:30 PM.

No, not fit issues (whining)! What fit issues?
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-04-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Jackie, Some thoughts and advice. I think Lanaki's reference to working on a rudder, as I read Ronnie's job list, is to the old rudder which he apparently is using as a spare? You might want to contact him about that. I don't think he makes reference to how the new rudder fits except to say it was delivered. I'd also double check about whether or not there's carbon involved in the new rudder. I doubt it - or not very much. Look at it this way: You'll own the boat or 10 years? A new rudder should be good for that period of time.

A new rudder is probably a good idea and price looks reasonable, but I'd like you to consider an emergency steering system sooner than later, too. Even a new rudder is failure prone, especially if you hit something. Trying to drag a bucket in an attempt to steer is something you don't want to do. Lashing drop boards to a spinnaker pole is someone's fantasy. I know we've discussed this in the past and your vane creates an issue, but I believe it is something you need to address if you're serious about offshore racing, especially a trip to Hawaii. You certainly have the boat to do that in.

You'll have to report the new rudder to the NC PHRF Committee, but I don't think they'll nick you any time for it. If there's no rush, you could even contact them and provide the drawing and ask the question. Contact info on the YRA website.

I'll keep watching this thread to see how things are coming along. -- Pat

Sorry to hear, Jackie, but Dura Mater will probably be better than new once you do this, and with less to concern yourself about. It sounds like a good price, too, but have you asked around about other places that make rudders? Just a thought. That's not in the realm of things I've had to deal with....yet.

Sorry, Pat's right; I was lazy and didn't read the link I posted. In this later post, he describes the issue with his new rudder. See end of the 2nd full paragraph. Given the age of the boat, decades of lumpy bottom paint and some degree of imperfection on the skeg, some degree of imperfection in the rudder...I'd be surprised if any custom rudder installation doesn't require at least a little fine tuning.
    http://openbluehorizon.com/index.php...waii-soon.html

Jackie,

I think you'll be happy with the new rudder from foss.

Also, a 2-27 rudder can very easily be pulled, inspected and re-installs without the boat ever leaving the slip.

Good luck jackie.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie simpson View Post
    Jackie,

Also, a 2-27 rudder can very easily be pulled, inspected and re-installs without the boat ever leaving the slip.
    Thanks, Ronnie. I wondered about that: I thought that I should be able to corral the rudder with a large netting or sheet and a bunch of lines, disengage it from above, and check it out . It is enclosed by a fiberglass tube, the top of which is above the waterline. As long as I don't lose the rudder in that mucky mud, I think that should be possible. I have been assured that it is not do-able that way. Ha! They didn't have the advice of the premier boat breaker/boat fixer. I hope your re-rigging is going well.

ps, I read that you had to grind your rudder down; would the use of delrin washers be helpful for that? I see that my rudder has some washers in there between the top of the rudder and the bottom of the hull.
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-05-2014 at 10:39 AM.

You could also look at Jeffa - they now make rudders http://www.jefa.com/rudder.htm. No idea if they are competitive on price or delivery. Not carbon, but seem to be well constructed. Shipping from Denmark is of course another matter.