Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Boats From Kauai - Who is In ?

Default Shipping Boats From Kauai - Who is In ?

Shipping Boats Back From Nawiliwili – Notes from George “Taz” Lythcott:

Matson Contacts:- Chris Castle, Lori-Anna Brian or Shelly Boswell. I believe they are located in Southern CA.
    888-362-8766 or 480-902-5000

Cost:
    $65 per 40 Cubic Foot. This is the same rate as charged in the past few years. The shipping volume is measured from the tow hitch, to the boat transom, to the highest point off the ground (which may be the mast). The mast length is NOT used in the cubic foot calculation. This rate is the PacCup Rate. This includes the shipping of the trailer from Oakland to Kauai and the Boat/trailer from Kauai back to Oakland.
    Overall Height Limit is 13′ 6″. At 14′ the shipper may have to make more analysis.
    Overall Width Limit is 13′ wide. This is the width of the ship’s on-ramp.
    Weight Limit is 110,000 lbs.
    Boat needs to be securely tied down to the trailer, preferable with the yellow, ratchet straps. The trailer most likely will be tied down to the Matson ship by Matson crew. Rudders will not need to be removed unless it prevents the trailer from being transported over the road. The trailer must have a positive tongue weight.
    Reservations should be made about one (1) to one and a half (1 1/2) months before shipping. Right now they are dealing with a lot of military equipment shipments.
    Payment is required at delivery of cargo at destination. They will take credit cards.

From MY Shipping Experiences in 2010 and 2012:
    Do not have a locked box on the trailer. It will be held in quarantine by “Agriculture” until it has been inspected. This is a requirement for the inter-island transport between Kauai to Oahu (in either direction).
    Matson will insect the outside of your boat very carefully before accepting the boat for shipping for condition/damage. I had NO damage in either shipping experiences.
    You will sign a waiver noting that Matson is not responsible for any personal property on the boat. I had “tons” of stuff in my boat and is was untouched. In 2010 I left my solar panels on the transom. In 202 I took them off and put them inside the boat.

You will sign a waiver stating that there is no food in the boat. This is for “Agriculture”.
    Larry Conklin (Island Crane) is very skilled. In Nawiliwili, he will lift the mast off, put it on the ground, lif the boat out of the water, place it on the trailer and lift the mast and put it on the boat/trailer. He will also tow the trailer from the Matson yard to the dock for loading and tow the boat/trailer back to Matson. He has a good working relationship with the Matson personnel in Hawaii but he cannot change the rules.

Contact for Island Crane:
    Larry Conklin
    Island Crane and Rigging
    islcr@hawaii.rr.com

TAZ!! arrived in Oakland approx. two weeks after shipping from Kauai. There is a schedule and you will know when to expect your boat in Oakland when your make your reservation.
    The boats will arrive at Matson dock just next to Jack London Square.

Since you're shipping out of Kauai for that rate, that's a good deal.

The Keehi yard (in Hono) is closing to non-PacCup work to handle the PacCup boats. They've already said "no discounts," so that deal for hauling out in Kauai will also be a benefit.

(Yeah, I know . . .)

I am in -
    Have the reservations with Maston confirmed as of Friday.

Should we have a central contact with Larry, or is he fine with us peppering him on an individual basis?
    similarly, if there are multiple folks shipping back, should we coordinate a day or days with him to do multiple boats at a time?

DH

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I am in -
    Have the reservations with Maston confirmed as of Friday.

Should we have a central contact with Larry, or is he fine with us peppering him on an individual basis?
    similarly, if there are multiple folks shipping back, should we coordinate a day or days with him to do multiple boats at a time?

DH
    Our central contact is George Lythcott. I will ask him to view this thread.

Brian

At this point Island Crane would like me to be the Point-of-Contact coordinate for the loading of our boats. I am glad to do. It make sense and it will be cheaper to load as many of our boats on their trailers on the same day. With the Awards Banquet on Saturday, July 19th, Island Crane would like to load the trailers on Monday July, 21st. Matson is not open on the weekend. Also there is some talk about sailing together from Hanalei Bay to Nawiliwili on Sunday which fits in perfectly. I've sailed that course twice and it takes about 6 hours.

I will post Matson's sailing schedule tomorrow to let you know when you need to get your trailer to their Yard (near Jack London Square) and when you can expect to see you boat back in Oakland.

Matson Shipping Route and Schedule-
    The shipping route goes via ship from Oakland to the Port of Honolulu on the Island of Oahu. From there the transportation is via an inter-island barge to the Port of Nawiliwili on the Island on Kauai. Coming back it is just the opposite.

There are two shipping dates for shipping our trailers near our start date: 1) on the ship Mokihana, Trip 276W leaving Oakland on 6/16/14 and arriving in Nawiliwili on 7/04/14; 2) on the ship Mokihana, Trip 277W leaving Oakland on 7/03/14 and arriving in Nawiliwili on 7/18/14. If you dry sail your boat, the earlier date may be too far ahead so you could have someone else deliver your trailer to Matson just before 7/03. Note, there is a storage/demurrage charge in Oakland if the trailer is dropped of more than 3 days before it will be shipped out and in Nawiliwili if the the trailer is not picked up within three (3) days.

There is a more convenient date for shipping our boats/trailers back to Oakland. The inter-island barge leaves Nawiliwili on 8/24 and most likely (depending on how quickly it is unloaded) our boats will be available for pick-up in Oakland on 8/14/14 arriving on the ship Mokihana, Trip 279E. Again, there is a storage/demurrage charge in Nawiliwili if boat dropped of more than 3 days before it will be shipped out but currently we plan to deliver our boats/trailers within three days of shipping out.
    Last edited by glythcott; 04-15-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Thank you both!

Brian, that cost includes the barge transport to and from Nawilliwilli, right?

Matson has shipped trailers for PacCup for years, and adding the barge is a real service.

If your boat is beyond the measurements quoted, it may still be shipped. (I personally know of one Passport 40 which has sailed back to SF only once.) As Brian notes, you will need more analysis by Matson.

Lucie

I was initially quoted the one price all the way to Nawiliwili. I called back today and asked for a confirmation of that price. I expect an answer later today.

Other Shipping Information:

1) You can have your trailer dropped off by someone other than yourself in Oakland. That person will only need your Booking Number and a valid ID.

2) Payment for shipping is made in Nawiliwili when you pick up the trailer. Payment can be made in cash, via credit cards, money transfers, wires, corporate checks...but NOT With personal checks. You can also make payment over the phone to Matson before you pick up your trailer.

If you have any other questions...just ask.

I am definitely up for this. It is not entirely clear to me from this thread what action is required at this time. George, do you need a confirmation from me and credit card info? Should I call the contact at the top of this thread? Is this independent from the Matson reservation (which I would then need to make separately?)

Thx.

July 21st is fine by me.

Everyone will take care of shipping on their own. I will coordinate with Island Crane for taking down the masts, loading your trailers and moving the trailers between the Small Boat Harbor in Nawiliwili and the Matson Dock in commercial area of Nawiliwili.

First, You will need a quote from Matson. To get it, you need to call them and give them the dimensions of the boat on the trailer: length from the hitch to the transom, overall width, and height from the ground of the highest part. For my Express-27, that is 31' X 8' X 11.5' (2,852 cu ft). You non-Express-27 folks will have to measure your own. They will send you a quote. THE RATE FROM NAWILIWILI IS $75 PER 40 CU FT. This is more than the $65 per 40 cu ft to/from Oahu due to the inter-island shipping costs. The Pac Cup sailors are paying $65 per 40 Cu ft. My quote is for $5,347.50. My quote is for one month but I was told it will be renewed monthly with a phone call.

You will then have to make a reservation. They were reluctant to take my reservation today. I was told today that I should wait until one month before the requested shipping date. Then all you need to do is to go to the Matson Yard (near Jack London Sq) with your trailer, a copy of your quote and a valid ID of the person delivering the trailer. Your trailer will be shipped to Nawiliwili. YOU SHOULD SEND ISLAND CRANE A COPY OF THE QUOTE SO HE CAN PICK UP YOUR TRAILER IN NAWILIWILI. Island Crane will pick up your trailer and tow it about 1/3 mile to the Small Boat Harbor for loading and once loaded, tow it back to Matson. Once back at the Matson dock, the boat/trailer will be inspected and measured. You will then go in a pay for the shipping.

Question ??? Please ask. If yo are unclear, I'll bet you are not alone.