Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: chartering short handed race boats

Hi Rob,

When I'm on someone else's boat, or a charter boat - I've been on a few - they are never properly rigged or so dumbed down they are not suitable for racing. So many little things add up to unpleasantness: frozen sheaves, clutches that slip, undersized winches, blown out sails, stiff furlers, inappropriate sails, chafed lines, electrical system issues, engine issues, autopilot issues to name just a few that come to mind. Many things that are hard to find unless you're out using the boat. Count me out, unless your talking about a new, more standard IMOCA boat getting prepped for the Vendee.

But hey, good luck with it.

Ragnar,
    Thanks. I could not agree more. Avoiding these types of problems was up there with low charter fees on the list of requirements for the boat. I can't be certain we have addressed them all until the boats are sailing, but I'm confident that those you have mentioned will be non issues.

Responses to the survey have been good (I vill publish them with the boat details), but there are not enough of them yet to make any decisions. Interestingly, most are from Australia and NZ, very few from USA and Europe.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by racecharter View Post
    Ragnar,
    ...I'm confident that those you have mentioned will be non issues.
    Rob
    Right. And I believe politicians when they talk too. I look forward to a good deal on a used charter boat in a few years.

Thanks to everyone who filled in the survey.
    Without going too deeply into it, the results were as follows:
    75% were racers, 95% had offshore experience, 80% want to do more short handed sailing, mostly ocean, 70% own a yacht, 40% were from Aus/NZ, 40% from USA, the rest from Aisa, Europe and other.
    Dream races were all the usual suspects, with none predominating.
    Time and money were why people did not do more, although lack of experience also got a mention.
    Twice as many wanted a mono as a multi, but almost all of them were willing to race something different.
    Ideal size was 35-45'.
    Priorities from most to least important were: Safety, speed compared to the fleet, ease of use/reliability of boat, budget, reliability of charter company, simplicity of equipment and sailing comfort. These are quite similar to the priorities we assigned.
    The average expected to pay for a week's racing was $US7,500. The average prepared to pay was $6,600. This is higher than we expected to charge.
    Reasons not to charter were mostly time and money, but experience on the boat and worries about the boat being up to par also got a mention.

These results were mostly as expected, although the number of answers was lower, particularly away from the USA and NZ/Aus. There were enough to justify moving to the next step, which will happen at the end of June. There should be an announcement, including the boat, costs and availability by the end of July. Subject to finance and a whole lot of other stuff, building could commence shortly after.

The survey is still open.

Thanks again.

rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttXu3pRTzs8 Comments, criticisms and sarcasm all appreciated.

regards,

rob denney

Progress report on the build at http://harryproa.com/?p=424. The actual build is pretty fast, but life and paying jobs keep getting in the way so progress is not as quick as it could be. Dream is to be there for the solo Transpac next year. Same dream as I have had for the last three races, so no one is getting excited, yet.

rob

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Do you mean entry in the SHTP? Don't forget the qualifiers, then. Good luck.

Thanks. If I haven't done at least 400 miles offshore, I certainly will not be ready for the race.
    I'm curious. Why does half a multihull's qualifier have to be downwind? I would have thought for most of them, upwind would be more of a challenge.

regards,
    rob

Hi,
    Just thought I would let you know that Bucket List went for it's first sail on Sunday. 3 years for a 3 month build!

I decided I preferred experimenting to running a charter company, so it has a 3 piece telescoping, canting rig with no track or cars. All works so far. Finished weight ready to sail is 1,100 lbs, draws about 3", cost about $20,000, plus my labour.

The charter version is still an option, "just" need someone with $200,000 and some organisational skills to build 4 of them.

Solo Transpac still on the Bucket List bucket list, but probably not until 2020, which is only 12 years after I first got interested.

Video of it sailing (not very meaningful, sorry. Had other things to think about) and a bunch more info at http://harryproa.com/?cat=2

regards,

rob denney

Multihull qualifier has to have downwind component because that is the point of sail responsible for most multihull capsizes.