Thread: Dura Mater needs Self Tailing winches

Default Dura Mater needs Self Tailing winches

More to the point, her skipper's right shoulder rotator cuff needs them. Base approximately 5.5" . Surely someone took advantage of the 2 for 1 sale @ the boat show and bought up. Sell me your old smaller ones. Jacqueline.Philpott@gmail.com
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-04-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Hi Jackie. No used ST, but I do have a pair of new Antal XTR 16.2 2-speed self-tailing winches never mounted. Read about them here: [URL="http://www.antal.it/index.php/en/winch/winch-xt/racing-series"/URL]. Lightest two-speed self tailing winches made, top quality. I purchased them new wholesale, sell for same. Have to dig up invoice but around $1400 for two if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMcDonald View Post
    Hi Jackie. No used ST, but I do have a pair of new Antal XTR 16.2 2-speed self-tailing winches never mounted. Read about them here: [URL="http://www.antal.it/index.php/en/winch/winch-xt/racing-series"/URL]. Lightest two-speed self tailing winches made, top quality. I purchased them new wholesale, sell for same. Have to dig up invoice but around $1400 for two if I remember correctly.
    Thanks, John. Those sound like beautiful winches, but too rich for my boat's blood. I suspect you may find another taker here, though, if you were not just being klind to me.

For easier grinding you want power (larger size) over convenience (self-tailing). I'd look for the largest size that will fit on the coamings in the desired location (measuring on the underside). To save money you'll almost for sure have to buy used, non-self-tailers - primary-sized used self-tailers are very difficult to find.

I soloed the J/33 and then the J/92 for a long time without self-tailers. A pair of cam cleats in the right spot near the winches and good posture when grinding largely overcome the benefit of ST's. Tacks are faster with non-ST's too, since you can strip the jib sheet straight up off the winch in one motion.

Hello, Bob. Since you've turned your attention to the Pac Cup we have not enjoyed your advice. Thank you. Missed you in the Round the Rocks, too. There were at least two other beautiful blue-hulled boats: Kynntana and Heron, a C&C 110, sailled by Jeremy, a Cal Meritime graduate. I have installed two cam cleats, but will wait patiently for those self tailers. I figure winches the same size as Lewmar 30s will fit on my coaming, w/no more than 5.5" between the screws below. perhaps old barients. Patience is a virtue, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Thanks, John. Those sound like beautiful winches, but too rich for my boat's blood. I suspect you may find another taker here, though, if you were not just being klind to me.
    Glad to be kind to you, Jackie, and also to my budget. Do good and do well.

Jackie, Like all things "sailboat" winches come dearly, but are dearly missed if not correct. I think John's price for the Antals is a very good deal for those winches and you'll use them as long as you sail the boat. Check out what those winches would cost retail.

I also agree with Bob that bigger is better. And, as he says, check the underside of the coaming to see how large the bolt circle can be; don't worry about the top part, just get the largest that will fit underneath. You can build wooden or plastic winch pads to place under skirts that overhang if that's a problem.

Used winches need to be carefully examined, especially Barients which haven't been built for years and years. Barient parts are nearly impossible to come by unless you cannibalize a 3rd winch. I think pawls and springs are available. Think of the tension that's been on various parts of 30 year old winches, especially if they've been sailed hard. The drums get smooth (some can be sandblasted, but not chrome plated ones). Bearing cages become worn and break. The center stem can break free from the base. The two-speed gears wear. Pawl pockets wear. And, who knows what kind of cleaning/greasing has been performed?

--Pat

On my Newport 30 I had Barients and had to replace one when the center stem broke and rebuild another when the bearing cage cracked by cannibalizing the broken winch I'd kept in the garage.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Hey Jackie, what of your ambitious plan to do the OYRA series? You were goading me into it! We should have a lovely spring day tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Hey Jackie, what of your ambitious plan to do the OYRA series? You were goading me into it! We should have a lovely spring day tomorrow.
    "Goading": such a harsh word. I'm sailing with Ray Irvine on the city front tomorrow. I'm on his "b" team: I'm encouraged to uncleat the jib sheet and advise regarding telltales. Until the boat show I still didn't have the OYRA approved life jacket, nor AIS. So now I have the jacket (in an attractive red) and the new standard horizon 2250 (installed myself). I decided to spend the money on equipment this year, and race fees next year. Are you inviting me to sail in an offshore race with you? I'll bring lemon bread. Or cookies. Whichever your little heart desires.