Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fleet info - AIS Transceiver

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Re: the Nautilus device

This unit (and there is another similar one on the market, I recall) is a much better solution for personal MOB than either PLB or devices AIS-SART devices like the McMurdo Smartfind.

I bought 2 of the Smartfind-type devices before PacCup for over $300 each, and found on testing that no plotters or radios on the present market can properly process their signal to generate an alarm. When I called the USCG rescue center to tell them I was testing this type of device, they had no idea what I was talking about. So, a more generic device like the Nautilus or a HH VHF-DSC-GPS radio kept on your person is the best bet for personal MOB.

Summary

Bad: http://www.mcmurdomarine.com/ais-mob-devices
    http://www.kannadmarine.com/en/safelink-r10
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIS-SART

Good: http://www.standardhorizon.com/index...3&isArchived=0

http://www.nautiluslifeline.com/buy-now

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    There is one handheld portable VHF/DSC/GPS out there than can have the MMSI changed without being sent back to the factory. It's the Nautilus Lifeline Marine Rescue Radio. It's an emergency VHF/DSC radio originally designed for divers and not really intended for routine communication. It's a fully functional VHF with DSC and builtin GPS www.nautiluslifeline.com See the bottom of the SUPPORT/MMSI INFORMATION page for how to easily change the MMSI.

I own a Nautilus Lifeline and have witnessed one in use to recover a lost diver in the open ocean. They are very waterproof and much smaller than the typical VHF/DSC/GPS units. The smaller size makes it much easier to attach to your lifejacket, etc.

Regarding Starbuck's (Tchoupitoulas') question, the Nautilus Lifeline website has instructions on how to get an MMSI for a "Portable Diving VHF w/DSC." And states that "You will be able to login and update the registration at any point to include current locations should they change periodically."

Tom Patterson
    Dazzler
    I really really really like that radio. 2 issues. One it is much lower power (range) and second is that you can't interrogate it (poll) for location. I've brought both issues up to the manufacturer since I think its a great idea otherwise.

And I agree these GPS VHF DSC handhelds are the best solution for MOB in the gulf for rescue (Self, fleet, CG).
    Last edited by K38Bob; 05-21-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Default Back to the topic... Fleet info - AIS Transceiver

David,
    I apologize for taking this off topic (Fleet info - AIS Transceiver) and will start a new thread for discussion of "Personal MOB Devises."

Tom
    Last edited by Dazzler; 05-21-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Let me understand this:

When you are racing, in the ocean with your AIS Class A, you are watching only for shipping and fishing traffic.

You never (accidentally) find another competitor nearby (up to 300 miles) who is broadcasting her position via her AIS Class B. Right?

Lucie

Quote Originally Posted by Mewes View Post
    Let me understand this:

When you are racing, in the ocean with your AIS Class A, you are watching only for shipping and fishing traffic.

You never (accidentally) find another competitor nearby (up to 300 miles) who is broadcasting her position via her AIS Class B. Right?

Lucie
    AIS Class A transceivers are typically for large vessels, not usually used by our size. Class B transceivers have limited range (VHF) and less frequent updating. You won't see a competitor up to 300 miles, more likely 20 if you have a masthead VHF/AIS antenna. You can also turn off your class B transceiver and run in "stealth" (really just listening) mode. Here is a link that explains more than you want to know: http://www.digitalyacht.co.uk/files/...aper_V1_01.pdf

Thanks. I pulled my 300 mile distance from my recent passages with Tiber Beetle. Rob does always have the best equipment installations, which is to say that if I had one on Georgia and I was receiving from a position close to him, I might only "see" ships within 50 miles and he would see 100 miles. Lucie

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Looking at Vesselfinder.com I see Brian Cline's Maris and Elan in the Berkeley Marina. Who leaves his/her vhf radio on when at the dock? David, I see Temerity. Is her radio turned on right now? Why can I see it when I can't find Green Buffalo?
    It is strange and can be quite cluttery on the screen when folks are transmitting from the slip. You should be able to see Black Gold all the time as well in Berkeley. You see me because I'm running power draw tests of all the electronivores on board. Seeing if the panels are keeping up day and night.

Maris is 338126374 and should be transmitting fairly continuously through the start.

From my slip in Berkeley I can see the buoys/ nav aides well outside the gate and north of Bonita. This isn't super surprising as it's more or less within line of sight, but as a point of curiosity does anyone know if the USCG does AIS signal repeating for their assets?
    Last edited by standardhuman; 05-25-2014 at 10:30 PM.

So now I've programmed in my MMSI, but the power is not on @ Dura Mater (and that's not an analogy). Does the radio need to be turned on for me to find it on Vesselsearch?

Jackie you need an AIS transceiver to show up there. Not just a DSC radio. But it's good your mmsi number is programmed on the radio because if you have to hit the emergency button, Dura Mater and your info will show up through the same system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    Jackie you need an AIS transceiver to show up there. Not just a DSC radio. But it's good your mmsi number is programmed on the radio because if you have to hit the emergency button, Dura Mater and your info will show up through the same system.
    I have AIS; it is internal in my new SH GX2200. Brian Cline and I are going to transmit to each other. If you have one I'll transmit to you too. "testing. Testing. This is the Dura Mater calling Tchouplitoulas"