Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fleet info - AIS Transceiver

Maris and Dura Mater made individual calls to each other through their AIS MMSI numbers today. And it worked. Of course, the volume on my radio was turned down and I had to turn it up in order to hear Brian. That old joke. Now I know my AIS works. Brian Boschma says large container ships tend to not respond to "Container ship at [lat/long]", but they DO respond when their name is used: "Dura Mater to the Container ship 'Maersk Dunga Din'".

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Maris and Dura Mater made individual calls to each other through their AIS MMSI numbers today. And it worked. Of course, the volume on my radio was turned down and I had to turn it up in order to hear Brian. That old joke. Now I know my AIS works. Brian Boschma says large container ships tend to not respond to "Container ship at [lat/long]", but they DO respond when their name is used: "Dura Mater to the Container ship 'Maersk Dunga Din'".
    Glad it worked. As MMSI is essentially a specific ship to ship call, I'm guessing they're more likely to respond. You'll get really tired of the AIS alarm on the SH VHF!

Yes, the alarm on the Std-Horizon 22xx can wake the dead. I send the AIS data to my chartplotter, which apparently cuts out the alarm on the VHF (or somehow I have it turned off). It's much easier to read the target data on the chartplotter and I can turn off its alarm if desired.

Bob-

Are you using an AIS transmitter, as well? Or just the AIS receiver of the Std-Horizon 22xx?

Thanks,
    Todd

I'm using the AIS receive-only via the VHF. I was planning to reinstall my stand-alone NASA "AIS Radar" (also receive-only) for Pacific Cup but with the AIS targets available through the chartplotter, I think that will be adequate. If anyone still needs an AIS receiver I'll sell the NASA unit pretty cheap to an SSS'er - a lot less than Amazon wants for one:

http://www.amazon.com/Clipper-CL-AIS.../dp/B004AE1S2G

Kudos to Todd for stepping up to a J/92S!

I have Vesper Marine AIS transceiver (class B) on my boat.
    It is sharing masthead antenna with VHF radio using Vesper Marine VHF splitter.

I am transmitting my position (as well as SOG and COG) and it gives me
    some sense of security -- I assume that other ships in the ocean will see
    if we are on collision course, even if don't see them.

My data are:
    S/V Libra, MMSI: 367562690

Thanks,
    Przemek