Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fleet info - AIS Transceiver

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Default Fleet info - AIS Transceiver

After listening to the RC during the SHFarallones asking where people were, I got the idea that we could collect the AIS IDs (MMSIs) of those boats doing ocean races, so that RCs and others could monitor those boats in a race that have AIS transceiver (send/receive) and choose not to be in stealth mode.

I know this is a bit of an issue for some, who prefer not to transmit their position and SOG during a race. Fine, they can turn theirs off.

I would like to collect these numbers to establish if possible a page on our website with a map (from MarineTraffic.com or VesselFinder.com) such as I have on my personal page.

I'll start:

S/V Temerity Class B MMSI: 338108542

Perhaps this might better be done with an email blast to our mailing list?

I've been collecting them but I can't get them for those who requested their MMSI through Boat US. Does anyone know if Boat US's MMSI database is available?

I have never done this, but I believe that it is possible to "poll" the position of a boat that has a DSC Radio with an MMSI number, even if the boat does not have AIS. This is a little blurb from the Standard Horizon Product Page. The user can turn on and off the automatic response to polling requests.

"DSC Polling
    STANDARD HORIZON has pioneered the capability to poll (request and send) the GPS location of another vessel and show the position of that vessel on the VHF's display. Standard Horizon has taken this feature one step further, if any Standard Horizon GPS is connected to the MATRIX the polled position of the vessel is shown on the display of the GPS chart plotter making it easy to navigate to the location of the polled vessel. This is a great feature for anyone wanting to know the position of anther vessel for example you buddy that is catching fish, or finding the location of a person you are cruising with."

Todd

I believe Andy has been working on this with OYRA and BAMA. I think some experimentation was done for the BAMA Farallones Race a few weeks ago. You might contact him and find out. I know he polled my position -- without my knowing because he had my MMSI and I turned off the alarm so I wouldn't be bothered by it. Pat B.

Very interesting Todd --- I hadn't thought of that.. I am sure that there are some SSS members that will want to turn that off if they can!

I know some boats have AIS transmit -- like Culebra (?) VALIS, Lightspeed, Shaman , and others. We could get all the MMSIs from jibeset registration data I am sure.... but most won't have transceiver capability. Or do they...?

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Very interesting Todd --- I hadn't thought of that.. I am sure that there are some SSS members that will want to turn that off if they can!

I know some boats have AIS transmit -- like Culebra (?) VALIS, Lightspeed, Shaman , and others. We could get all the MMSIs from jibeset registration data I am sure.... but most won't have transceiver capability. Or do they...?
    Actually AIS shows up on free websites and on free chartplotters- we did both for DHF for fun. Caused angst for a new RC member since they came on and off. AIS is VHF so elevation, connections, line of sight (and on/off) come into play. No formal testing or requirement- just opportunistic but entertaining and educational.

We did poll VHF-DSC MMSI numbers with Andys rig and help as we used at skippers meeting as a learning exercise with a VOLUNTEER group of 8-9 boats with mixed results- when it worked- it worked well. Mostly a function of racer equipment condition and setup. Auto reply of position works best- the racer sets up radio that says if this number (RC) requests position, then send it. Many configuration menu's on radios

We had results out to the farallones- Ma's Rover being just south of maintop. Position shows right on chartplotter (andy's rig and help)- we also had voice contact from landsend to Ma's rover at that position w a 4ft 3db antennae at Lands end parking lot ( USS San Francisco) and 25w fixed mount. Also used for historical practice of roll call per SI.

SPOT btw had a system outage during the race and didn't inform customers until Monday via email- that caused angst from folks watching at home and they shared it.

The most intriguing opportunity to help RC - especially those that dont go to Lands end- is to give a position report to VTS which also helps them do their job and relieves stress. When they confirm position report w antennae on Mt Tam, RC in comfy in the bay YC can record. A free radio check as a bonus- which I think is important. This was a volunteer test to during DHF. Radio conditions varied- I think there's a solution in here somewhere for all- "SV approaching ,," and its free (well already paid for)

All of the numbers (including sat phone, SSB etc) are in Jibeset for RC and CG benefit- at least for DHF.

AIS example from the internet
    Name:  PlusSixteen.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  98.1 KB

BAMA volunteer DSC test (andys rig and help)- Ma's Rover ping at Maintop w position report and info (text box shown w Lat Long) followed by voice
    Name:  Ma's Rover DHF 2014 DSC test.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  77.7 KB

We did a detailed report to NCORC and a summary at DHF awards.

Here's a writeup/video on the live fire (first time ever) DSC alert we did at skippers meeting.
    http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/c...s-Gonna-Answer

Jibeset is also working on smartphone tracking.

AIS was mandatory in a SoCal race- thread on SA. Unhappiness for leaders showing the way.

cheers
    bob

PS- the most interesting surprise was that the remote setup could hear the GGYC as well as the ocean racers with a lot of dirt and rock in between the remote and GGYC. I duplicated this for DHLS. My bet is a reflection off Marin cliffs and/or GGB North tower- too crisp to be atmospheric- who knows. Brian B offered to do a directional test to seek the reflection source assuming its still repeatable - great if it is.
    Last edited by K38Bob; 05-20-2014 at 08:11 AM.

OK, I have created a test page for a sample fleet. See here:

http://sfbaysss.org/main/ais-map-experimental-page/

Since at a give time most boats are in the slip with the AIS powered down, there is not much to see. ELAN (Berkeley) and Turbo Camper (Alameda) seem to be on all the time though.

This will be more interesting on race days, of course.

Current test fleet:

1. Culebra 367413310
    2. Elan 367300270
    3. Green Buffalo 367065180
    4. Plus Sixteen 338050101
    5. Temerity 338108542
    6. TESA 367517270
    7. Turbo Camper 338129063

You can add "NANCY" to the mix: 367435450. I'm not a "stealth" guy so don't mind if folks know where I am - or rather where the boat is. Notice the "367" and "338" numbers? "3" is USA and the "67" and 38" are localities. The final 6 numbers are your boat's ID. - Pat

For the discussion Lightspeed is 338135487 with AIS but rig in on the rack at KKMI for two weeks so can not come out to play. R

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    You can add "NANCY" to the mix: 367435450. I'm not a "stealth" guy so don't mind if folks know where I am - or rather where the boat is. Notice the "367" and "338" numbers? "3" is USA and the "67" and 38" are localities. The final 6 numbers are your boat's ID. - Pat

Pat, no joy in looking up either your MMSI or finding you under "Nancy". Also, the MMSI given by Bandicoot for Jibeset and the one in the database are different. And Pogo cannot be found at all.

I wonder if maybe people are getting different MMSIs for their AIS vs. their DSC-VHF? In the US, the ship VHF, AIS ,and all handhelds are supposed to have the same MMSI.

For reference, I am using these two sites to look up boat names etc. though there are many others

http://www.vesselfinder.com/
    http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/home

I have a total of 17 good IDs now, but some of them have a last reported position of a year ago or more. So I'm not sure about the value!