Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

La Mar Cevicheria at Pier 1.5 is excellent. The surge can be really nasty. I have picked up and dropped off passengers at times where I would not be comfortable leaving the boat.

Tell me more about the nasty surge. Is the surge related to any specific ebb or flood tide? Or height of tide? Or swell out in the ocean? I want to know.

It's the ferries coming and going next door.

Tinkerbell is the worst one (or as our daughter called her when she was a toddler, "Taco Bell").

Really? Ferry wakes cause the surge? No cuphooks?

Would being there at low commute ferry boat times be less surge?

Quote Originally Posted by skatzman View Post
    Really? Ferry wakes cause the surge? No cuphooks? Would being there at low commute ferry boat times be less surge?
    There is probably less surge in the Napa River, though lots of ebb now with all this rain and snow. So who's interested in a sail up the Napa River? A Cruise-Up.
    http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/cali...er#_tide_table

fetˇish
    ˈfediSH/Submit
    noun
    fixation, obsession, compulsion, mania; More
    an inanimate object worshiped for its supposed magical powers or because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-21-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Sailing Wednesday. Supposed to be a gentle south wind. Aaaahhhhh. Maybe fly a spinnaker all the way from Berkeley 'round Red Rock. Anybody else?

Sailing tomorrow. Should be sunny and nice wind. Maybe go to the Fairy Building, maybe to Sam's. Would anyone like to join me? Photo by Randy Leisure. Thanks, Randy!

Sailed to the Fairy Building. Admired La Mar, that restaurant Steve Buckingham recommends. It requires a bit of attention to one’s attire, I think, that I could not manage yesterday. Red Sky was ferrying people around but not to the Fairy Building. Ragtime! is still working with miscreant clients. Kynntana just got done installing her engine and needs time to recover. Dianne is shoveling out from the latest snowstorm at Lake Tahoe. And the day was lovely for Dura Mater out of Berkeley.

What did I see? What did I learn? Free samples of chocolate to sample, which I did. Double shot for the cost of a single Peet’s latte. The pigeons are getting fatter. Fruit and vegetables looked great. There is a lot of surge and here's a caveat about sailing in the Big City. A friend lost some brand new blocks while tied up at Pier 1.5.

As I sat in the cockpit yesterday surrounded by a swanky motor yacht and the Beneteau Curiosity out of Emeryville, I watched a young man as he walked down the gangplank with an ear to his phone. He moseyed on over, looking into the cockpit and windows (and sliding glass doors) of the other vessels.

Who did he remind me of? Oh yes. The fellas in my Oakland neighborhood who walk up and down the streets looking into car windows and yards. Looking for their lost kitties, they say. Awww. This young man did a quick about face when he saw me watching him. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along. No kitties aboard today. Just sayin.
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-18-2018 at 01:09 PM.

With the snow shovel secured I must ask you exactly how bad is the surge? I see your tie up has the usual two fenders and two docklines. Nothing out of ordinary. How bad is the surge?

Quote Originally Posted by skatzman View Post
    With the snow shovel secured I must ask you exactly how bad is the surge? I see your tie up has the usual two fenders and two docklines. Nothing out of ordinary. How bad is the surge?
    Dura Mater doesn't usually use fenders. She needs two at Pier 1.5. She is a hard mother and low maintenance. Dianne is a goddess. Need I say more?