Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    . What a dream of an invention is the windvane.
    Yes, almost poetry: your wind-powered vessel being steered by the wind.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Hey, can we track you ? Will you have an AIS running ? What fun.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Hey, can we track you ? Will you have an AIS running ? What fun.
    Hi, Brian

I don't know. Maybe here? https://www.jibeset.net/daysail.php

This Jibeset tracking site is for entertainment NOT for safety. Jibeset uses wifi, not satellite. If you check here to see Dura Mater and the little marker stops we may be out of wifi range. This is coastal sailing, not wild stuff, like sailing alone to Kauai in a race.

Dura Mater's MMSI # is 338166477

I have a Standard Horizon GX 2200 with AIS but no transponder. Are those the right answers? I'll be changing the color of the tell tale on the Navik tomorrow, if that helps. It will be the red one with little hearts. See ya
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-13-2020 at 04:32 PM.

as of 0700 DURA MATER is Southbound, at sea;
    Jackie should be abeam Pescadero by 1100.

https://www.jibeset.net/daysail.php

Great trip! The tracker works great, within cell range of the coast.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Years ago, shortly after I bought my current Dura Mater I decided that I needed a windvane. I did some research and decided that the Navik was the windvane for me. I posted on this forum and Tom Krase responded. At the time he had a gorgeous Wiley 33, s/v Constellation. I drove over to see the Navik on his boat and he very patiently walked me through the process of using it.

Shortly afterward I found a Navik on Craigslist down on the Peninsula somewhere. Theoretically it was being sold by a fella who owned a sailboat, but when I arrived to collect it there was a woman and she wasn’t even sure what it was called, but it was FOR SALE. It was in her dining room and she wanted it gone. So I paid cash for it, threw it in my car before the fella got home and drove away with it. I deposited it in my own dining room. When objections were raised, I moved it to a corner of the bedroom. It’s been there ever since.

Finally, last week, I realized that redundancy is probably a good thing because the word is used so much around this forum. Redundancy. Redundancy. Redundancy.

I emailed Tom Krase and asked him if he might be feeling patient again, and if so, would he help me with my Navik. He said yes, we met yesterday and he put all the many many complicated and impressive parts of my Navik together in about 15 minutes.

Attachment 5771

As he put it together he explained the purpose of each part and then I took him out to lunch at Louie’s in Point Richmond. We sat on the patio and drank serious coffee (double espresso for him, latte for me). We drove back to RYC and then, just to see how it worked, we bolted the Navik to Dura Mater's transom. We motored out into Potrero Reach and on out to the bay.

Oh my! Oh my! What a wondrous thing is a windvane! Almost as impressive as the camaraderie of sailors for each another.

Today Mr Hedgehog helped me problem solve a stuck bolt, Mr Fugu helped me unbolt the windvane from Dura Mater’s transom, and my dockmate Gene offered to make me G10 backing plates. I replaced all old stiff lines with sparkly new ones, pressure washed everything and sprayed it down with lithium grease. I’m a sweaty mess and the windvane is a thing of beauty. Thank you, gentlemen.

p.s. That's a 2001 Farallones sweatshirt Tom is wearing.
    I"v been out of touch with this thread! The Navik is GREAT! It's a wonderful piece of kit! You're gonna love it, especially on this trip.
    Last edited by AlanH; 09-16-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Before we left HMB I “helped” Philippe test his Pelagic. Meaning: I stood aboard Changabang as we motored around the harbor w him studying and tweaking while I called “look out!” and “aaauugghh!”

Name:  3219D156-E0B0-4B15-928F-61941B5FE81B.jpeg
Views: 637
Size:  135.9 KB

Early this morning DM and I Motorsailed out of Half Moon Bay at 7 am

Name:  FE7D0DFF-C526-46B2-BFFF-68CA334AB071.jpeg
Views: 526
Size:  45.1 KB

It was dense fog for hours. At Pescadoro Point the fog dissipated and I watched a big pod of whales playing to starboard. Kept my distance, wind picked up at Ano Nuevo and I poled out the jib. Dura Mater loves to sail wing on wing. As we approached Santa Cruz she was surfing and going 8.2 knots. Don’t know what the wind was, but it was sure fun.

Arrived in Santa Cruz and Skip brought dinner plus ice cream.

Name:  CDA01DF5-EF7B-45AA-A80F-B4FD32117AD9.jpeg
Views: 637
Size:  112.8 KB

What a gentleman. Tied up at the end of N dock, resting up tomorrow, then across the bay to Monterey Friday.

Lots of boats participated in the Santa Cruz Wed night buoy races. Here are four fellas and Ginger the dog on Ronnie Simpson’s Moore 24 that he raced in the SSS Transpacific Yacht race.

Name:  9533D840-7363-4216-9DCD-32A4C56FF432.jpeg
Views: 547
Size:  92.5 KB

You just know everybody who's anybody!

A day in Santa Cruz is always a pleasure, and this one started out sitting on the breakwater drinking coffee waiting for the fog to lift. Howard and Rainer were there, then Skip showed up and a couple other fellas.

Name:  B95B91EA-1D3E-450A-8DF1-4F29D036A568.jpeg
Views: 557
Size:  85.4 KB

We talked about clouds and pigeons and boats. Always boats. Later in the day Skip came by on his paddleboard and walked me through sailing down past Point Sur in the dark. One wind lane at a time.

“What is this 3 nautical mile demarcation line on the chart?”
    “Oh, don’t pay any attention to that.”

Ok. I won’t. I feel better already now that I know it isn’t code for “there be dragons”.

A day in Santa Cruz is always a pleasure, and this one started out sitting on the breakwater drinking coffee waiting for the fog to lift. Howard and Rainer were there, then Skip showed up and a couple other fellas.

Name:  B95B91EA-1D3E-450A-8DF1-4F29D036A568.jpeg
Views: 557
Size:  85.4 KB

We talked about clouds and pigeons and boats. Always boats. Later in the day Skip came by on his paddleboard and walked me through sailing down past Point Sur in the dark. One wind lane at a time.

“What is this 3 nautical mile demarcation line on the chart?”
    “Oh, don’t pay any attention to that.”

Ok. I won’t. I feel better already now that I know it isn’t code for “there be dragons”.
    Even if there's no wind, like the time I came up from Morro Bay in 2006, the lumpy water around Point Sur extends a remarkably far distance out from the big rock. I was maybe 2 miles out in very light wind and wow...steep, steep chop. I'd suggest giving Point Sur at least 4-5 miles of clearance.