Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

She's at the boom..... I'll check back after another coat of Flag Blue.

A fine display of self-sufficiency! The bow at the end was well appreciated!

Thanks for the heads-up, sleddog!

Ants

Nice work Jackie! Morro Bay looks real nice this time of year...Any idea what type of racer/cruiser is tied up just in front of DM on the Morro Bay YC dock? Farr36? Happy Sailing Jackie!

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanslogic View Post
    Any idea what type of racer/cruiser is tied up just in front of DM on the Morro Bay YC dock? Farr36? Happy Sailing Jackie!
    Thanks, Adam! It's a Farr 40. Tony bought it about 2.5 years ago from someone in the SF Harbor. He paid for the boat and was told, "Ok, now you've gotta leave." Which was okay, he says, because he and his wife live down here. He says the previous owner campaigned it in the SF Bay for a few years, then moved on.

Members of the Morro Bay YC can stay at the dock 2 days/month, and generally Tony keeps HighFive on a mooring. Very nice man. He turned me on to Mark Kennedy, a diesel mechanic who will come tomorrow morning to change DM's oil. When I change it with the oil extractor I am not able to get the bottom bit out, and that sludge in there can't be good for her.

I walked a mile to the Napa Auto Parts store up above the nice little downtown and scored not one but TWO oil filters. I had the Delo. Dura Mater's exhaust seemed a little more ... apparent than usual, so I promised her new oil. She takes such good care of me.

The light here is shimmery. Morro Bay at 6:53 am

Name:  Morro Bay 0653 am.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  1.41 MB

At 7:09 am

Name:  Morro Bay 0709 am.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  2.05 MB

The Morgan 45, with Barbara and Glenn aboard, is headed to Mexico. The Crealock, with Gary and his aunt, Chri, are returning to Monterey. Chri lives aboard a smaller Pacific Seacraft on the Georgia coast. She says there are a lot of bugs there. I believe her.

All the bigger boats are impeccably maintained. All three of the other boats at the dock here are impeccably maintained. DM and I are a little grubby by comparison. In fact, when we return to E Dock Mr Fugu's boat will be impeccably maintained, too. Like Howard's boat. Like Bob's boat. Like Tom's boat. Like Gene's boat. I have seen a preview of Chris's boat. Seafoam green, not red!!!###???

Name:  Jacloe 4.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  109.4 KBJ
    Jackie departing Morro Bay - 08:20

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    Name:  Jacloe 4.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  109.4 KBJ
    Jackie departing Morro Bay - 08:20
    Thanks, Pat! Ray just texted me that my tracker has me in the HMB race, so I don’t think I’ll make the cutoff time. Hope you all are having fun!

Though the tracker doesn't show it, DURA MATER reports a "raucous ride" 23 miles to Port San Luis Bay. Though I recommended picking up a mooring, she is anchored near Avila Pier, presumably trying her newish spade anchor.

My recommendation was based on an experience anchored off Avila Pier on a 1992 delivery of the Santa Cruz 70 MIRAGE from S.Cal home to Santa Cruz. We anchored overnight and early next morning got underway. Or did we? It seems the anchor wouldn't budge. We put all hands on the coffee grinder winch handles and slowly made headway on lifting the anchor while simultaneously submerging the bow downward about a foot.

The strain on the rode was significant as the anchor came up attached to the grille of a mudcaked '57 Chevy.
    No way that was coming onboard. It took just a tap with a knife and the Chevy, with our good plow anchor still attached, disappeared into 40 feet of murky water.

Tomorrow early DM will depart Avila for Cojo Anchorage, in the lee of Pt. Conception.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-26-2020 at 08:32 PM.

As of 1800, Dura Mater was tied up in a slip in the Santa Barbara harbor's high rent district. They probably came aboard and dropped a dye tablet in her Porta-Potty.

Hopefully we'll get an update shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    As of 1800, Dura Mater was tied up in a slip in the Santa Barbara harbor's high rent district. They probably came aboard and dropped a dye tablet in her Porta-Potty.

Hopefully we'll get an update shortly.
    They have three separate “porta-pottie cleaning stations here! Guess they don’t want me dripping all that ... dye through the bathrooms.

None of that first class E dock wifi, though, so I’ll have to find some of that in order to tell you of my “three hour tour”. For a beer at the recently re-opened lower patio, from where does that quotecome?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    For a beer at the recently re-opened lower patio, from where does that quotecome?
    George Wyle